Radio Code For 1997 Es300

i bought my 1997 es300 from the original owner 1 month ago. i read a post on here that someone needs a code to reset the radio after replacing the battery? do you even need the code on earlier models? i spoke with the original owner today and they told me they never set a code and were never even asked to when they bought the car. i even have a receipt that they gave me showing they replaced the battery at the lexus dealer about 1.5 years ago, they said the dealer didnt even mention a radio code. im just wondering for the future since i do alot of my own work is it necessary i have this code? would if the battery dies and u need a jump start, do you need the code then, it just seems like alot to go through. i called the dealer and they ran the vin number and came up with nothing.

Most people don't set the radio security code -- it was a silly feature. If the prior owner told you he never set a security code and he replaced the battery without a problem, you have nothing to worry about.

Most people don't set the radio security code -- it was a silly feature. If the prior owner told you he never set a security code and he replaced the battery without a problem, you have nothing to worry about.
how do you know this, curious

I assure you that security codes are almost never set by any owner, I have handled many headunit switchouts and NEVER encountered a security code yet. :cheers:

how do you know this, curious

Because I've known a lot of people who, like me, have bought new Lexus cars -- including my next door neighbor who bought one of the first LS400s sold in Kansas City in 1989. "Ron" wouldn't set a security code since he, like most people, don't read owners manuals. Heck, I few weeks ago I showed him some of the unusual features on his Porsche -- he bought the damn thing new in 1996, rarely drives it, and told me he has never looked at the owners manual! I know more about his car than he does probably because I'm a car nut who's idea of fun is to visit car dealerships and tour auto factories in non-English speaking countries.

The most silly aspect of security codes on the older Lexus radios is that they wouldn't fit in other makes of cars. It was not like some kid was going to steal a Lexus radio and slam it into a Honda Civic. There simply wasn't a market for stolen Lexus radios.

Now ... DIN and double DIN radios are a completely different matter since there is a market for stolen ones.

i bought my 1997 es300 from the original owner 1 month ago. i read a post on here that someone needs a code to reset the radio after replacing the battery? do you even need the code on earlier models? i spoke with the original owner today and they told me they never set a code and were never even asked to when they bought the car. i even have a receipt that they gave me showing they replaced the battery at the lexus dealer about 1.5 years ago, they said the dealer didnt even mention a radio code. im just wondering for the future since i do alot of my own work is it necessary i have this code? would if the battery dies and u need a jump start, do you need the code then, it just seems like alot to go through. i called the dealer and they ran the vin number and came up with nothing.

On my car ('93) I can tell that the security code is set b/c when the car is started "SEC" appears in the radio's LCD display for a couple of seconds and then goes out, even if the radio is off. If the radio's security system is disabled, nothing appears in the display when the car is started. Not sure if this would be the same on the '97 model, but probably.

• 2 weeks later...

I also just bought a 1997 ES300 one month ago here in Brazil, and when I tried to start the car for the first time the battery was dead. After a jump start I noticed that the radio worked just fine without asking for any code. So I don't know if the radio has any way to code it, but the way the radio is set it doesn't ask for any code, which is a good thing I guess. Good luck with your car!!

• 8 months later...

Try 555. I asked a dealer and was told there is no special other code for my 97 ES300. Since I asked the question when I don't have the problem, I haven't tried to see if it work.

• 2 weeks later...