Outside Mirrors Are Always Dark. Should They?

I recently bought a 1999 GS300 in great shape but one thing I noticed is the outside mirrors are always shaded and dark. During the daytime I can see OK but at night with no one behind me I can't hardly see any thing. The inside rear view mirror works correctly by being clear during the day or if auto is off at night. When auto is on it dims headlights from behind like it should.

From what I read the outside mirrors should react the same as the inside mirror but they do not change.

Anyone else had the problem? Any suggestions on what to do>

Thanks,

Paul Flinker

Assuming you have the "Electrochromic Outside Mirrors" option mentioned on http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1999/1999GSspecs.pdf it's unusual for them to both fail completely. The glass does tend to fail and become cloudy over time with the clouding starting at the edge of the mirrors and spreading towards the center. This has started on my 00 LS and I'll eventually have to do something -- hopefully replace just the glass.

But it instead sounds like your outside mirrors are in permanent dim mode. I don't know if my 00 LS has the exact same connectors as your 99 GS but I've attached the rather pathetic brief diagnosis procedure from my 00 LS repair manual. I can't tell from the procedure what the default mode of the mirror should be. I would think that the default mode would be "bright" but maybe your car is proving that it is "dark".

post-2157-1231706286_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Thanks for the info. This does appear to be the correct document but I agree it is not very informing. Do you have any idea what the "dry" is they refer to?

I do have the driving position memory but have no idea where the connectors they show are. Do you have any idea where they are located?

Thanks,

Paul F.

Jim,

Thanks for the info. This does appear to be the correct document but I agree it is not very informing. Do you have any idea what the "dry" is they refer to?

I do have the driving position memory but have no idea where the connectors they show are. Do you have any idea where they are located?

Thanks,

Paul F.

Paul, my repair manual doesn't say way the "dry" is -- maybe someone else on this forum will help?

I don't know where the connectors are. I found a few photos on eBay of 98-00 GS300 mirrors - here's one for sale that shows a connector in one of the photos: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Acces...bayphotohosting

As quickly as a mirror can be changed, I'm guessing that the mirror connector is behind the speaker -- assuming that your GS has a radio speaker there.

Here is link to a website that shows more about the mirror and lots of other components on Lexus vehicles: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1999_LEXU...EAQFA_8701.html

Jim,

You have given me some great information to start with. I have an old Mitchell disk that gave me the wiring diagram and both sides do get their feed from the inside mirror. May be a bad connection from the inside mirror since both of them are not working. I'll keep looking for the answer.

Thanks for all your help.

Paul F.

Jim,

Found a link on Club Lexus with lots of information on the mirrors. I'm posting the link here for anyone who might be looking for this information in the future.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...e-mirror-2.html

Paul

Paul, that link really shows how much my 00 LS repair manuals suck. They couldn't even include the words "cell battery" after the word "dry" in my manual. I almost always spend the few hundred bucks to buy the repair manuals each time we buy a car and I've found that the Lexus manuals are pretty bad compared to the mostly Honda and Mercedes repair manuals I bought before we started buying Toyota/Lexus products.

I keep reminding myself that I am sooo funtunate to have a good indie Lexus mechanic that I can depend on to figure out the more difficult issues. Finding a reliable indie mechanic to work on your car is one of the best things you can do -- ask other Lexus owners who they use to maintain their cars.

i never knew this was even an option...

i've heard the side views are SUPPOSED to auto dim also like our rear view mirror, but even when i turn off the auto dim on the rear view, i never notice much if any difference and i never have noticed my sides dimming but who knows....i have 5% tint on my side windows so maybe they took dark to notice