Many Questions For 1994 Ls400!

Tyler1

I am a new owner to a '94 ls400 and maybe there is info you guys can share. First off i have the blackout problem with the dash lights. Heard everything from circuit board, to replacing the whole dash upwards of $3000. Also the gas gauge does not work at all. Is this tied together?

I was also looking to put a sound system in it. It has the Nakamichi system but two speakers are blown. What is recommended for speakers that can be put in. How much this going to run me? And do i need to get a faceplate to be put in or will the speakers work fine with the Nakamichi controls.

Thanks my ninjas.

I am a new owner to a '94 ls400 and maybe there is info you guys can share. First off i have the blackout problem with the dash lights. Heard everything from circuit board, to replacing the whole dash upwards of $3000. Also the gas gauge does not work at all. Is this tied together?

I was also looking to put a sound system in it. It has the Nakamichi system but two speakers are blown. What is recommended for speakers that can be put in. How much this going to run me? And do i need to get a faceplate to be put in or will the speakers work fine with the Nakamichi controls.

Thanks my ninjas.

the dash can be rebuilt, look on ebay there is a guy there that does an exchange deal for about $200 i had mine done on my 94 and it worked great.

Thanks my ninjas.

I had mine done by Jim Walker in California and it was NOT a good job. my temp gauge still has no backlights and a dead needle, and various other lights do not work, of course, he said it was all my fault for not telling him the lights didnt work... my question was "why didnt you test it out".

BUT, yes the gas gauge is part of that. I have heard of someone in the north east who does a very good job,

Here's the link, http://stores.ebay.com/BBA-Remanufacturing-Inc

type in lexus, and you are on your way.

I too was disappointed by Jim Walkers work. While the cost was OK, $225, the outside air temperature display vanished on the console. I called Jim, but it was like talking to Alvin the chipmunk-his first words were "It's not my fault." I told him to forget about it-and he did. Such is life.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, i will look on ebay.

And after driving 175 miles it still ate up 17 gallons of gas. I thought that they got 17+ miles/gallon?

Dash lights a problem with '93 - '94s. I had the dealer fix my dash lights on my '93 - pricey at about $1200 but they work perfectly. Also I had a couple of blown speakers with my Nak system. I had Best Buy replace the bad speakers in the doors and they sound good again. You should be getting much better MPG than 10 - I get about 18 around town and 24 on the highway.

I too was disappointed by Jim Walkers work. While the cost was OK, $225, the outside air temperature display vanished on the console. I called Jim, but it was like talking to Alvin the chipmunk-his first words were "It's not my fault." I told him to forget about it-and he did. Such is life.

Wow. Man.

That is the kind of word-of-mouth that unemployment lines are made of. :(

Sorry about the experience but thanks for sharing it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, thought that 10 miles to the gallon was weird, and maybe a fluke in my math. But after filling up two other times it concludes that i am actually getting a little over 10 miles. like 10.3 Haha. Does anyone have any information on what the problem would be or how to fix it?

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, thought that 10 miles to the gallon was weird, and maybe a fluke in my math. But after filling up two other times it concludes that i am actually getting a little over 10 miles. like 10.3 Haha. Does anyone have any information on what the problem would be or how to fix it?

I had the same problem. 10ish MPG. Replaced my coolent temp. sensor and walla. It wwent up by about 4MPG to around 14(I have a lead foot). :D IT's not a hard fix either. It takes about half an hour and the only special tool you need is a 3/4" deep socket. the part is only about $15 at autozone.

I had the same problem. 10ish MPG. Replaced my coolent temp. sensor and walla. It wwent up by about 4MPG to around 14(I have a lead foot). :D IT's not a hard fix either. It takes about half an hour and the only special tool you need is a 3/4" deep socket. the part is only about $15 at autozone.

Are there any other symptoms?

Not really, maybe a little more smoke because the fuel mixture is in warm up mode, but nothing too noticable other than using a quarter tank every 40 miles. Its cheap enough and easy enough to do that if you have unreasonably poor gas mileage, for no apparent reason, you should change it. It's paid for it's self at least 5 times in fuel savings. A slight throttle response change happened too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks my ninjas.

I had the same problem. Lights would slowly come on like they had to thaw out as I drove. The gas gauge did not work, drove with the odometer. Sent my dash, easy to unplug and pull out, to Mr. Whizard in North Dakota. Cost about $200 and works as good as new along with the gas gauge. http://www.mrwhizard.com/ Good luck. Don't know about the gas mileage. I get about 21.