Legality Of Sc License Plate

redsully

Well let's just say I was persuaded to "get into the new import tuner market"

If you have the time or care to read:

Camaro(98 bought new):

55,000 miles - Alternator

60,000 miles - Transmission (Metallic failure caused 2nd, 4th and reverse to go out...at least I was able to drive it into the shop)

72,000 miles - leaking Intake Gasket (nothing compared to the previous bill but I believe it had some part in the next and last problem)

75,000 miles - Snapped crankshaft and 2 bent rods

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Total for parts and labor: ~$8,000

Vette(2000 bought new):

5,000 miles - Warped rotors resulting in really *BLEEP*ty vibrations while braking (would become a problem every 10-15K miles until machined)

7,000 miles - Coolant leaking into the interior of the car (I stopped by the dealership to see what they were doing....the engine was pulled from the car)

????? miles - Headlight Stuck in open position

20,000 miles - Car would not start....battery is fine.....towed from house to dealership where it magically starts the next day (This repeats 3 times over the next several months)

34,000 miles - A clogged drain hole causes water to gather up in the wrong place and shorts the computer (Thanks god we -- my parents -- bought the extended warranty)

????? miles - more problems that I can't remember

51,000 miles - Noise coming from transmission housing. My trustworthy mechanic diagnoses as either 1) Cracked Flex Plate or 2) Soon to be transmission failure.

(This is 1,000 miles after end of warranty)

Car was sold as quickly as possible.

Boy were my parents happy to get rid of it.

----------------------------------------------------------

Total cost of parts and labor: Don't know since it was my mom's car but I can assure you that more money was spent (by GM of course) fixing that car than it was originally bought for.

Nothing says you can't cut the living hell out of the offending plate. I took a diamond cut off wheel to the plate and sliced it down to something more resembling a Euro lic. plate. A pair of sharp tin snips would do it as well.

Air flow is completely unimpended and the plate minimalist(?) appearance looks better.

post-3-1074018401.jpg

I thought I had posted an item about lowering my licence plate. In Wash. we have to have a front plate. I made a bracket that lowered the plate and it looks pretty good. As long as you are not doing 148 MPH in the desert it does not hinder cooling. I will attempt to atatch a picture. I tried to atatch a picture previously but was not able to figure out how to do it.

post-3-1074052593.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oh what I would do to see Euro style plates

OK, so here's what the Texas law has to say: The word "Texas" must be visible AND uncovered by rims, lenses, plastics, etc.

So I ask ya'll... can you all read the word Texas? : )

Here's my new fix, which is much prettier than the previous do (as discussed in the first post of this list: hanging down from the bottom lip of the front spoiler).

legal.jpg

Just as a side note: The plate now measures 3.8" tall (as compared to the standard 5.?"). I folded the plate on precision using a firm piece of plywood and a pair of welder's pliers.

I'm happy to say that this as close to Europe that I've ever been : )