Rx Shaking Over 40 Mph

bellarx

:huh:

Hello,

Hope you are all enjoying the wonderful snow fall from the weekend!

I have an issue I hope you can give me some guidance on. On Friday my 04 RX330 was driving just fine. It snowed about 8 inches. On Saturday morning I shoveled my RX out and went to run a few errands. I was on the highway when all of a sudden the car started shaking. I got off of the highway and checked my tires thinking that maybe I had a flat but all tires were fine. I continued on my journey. Every time I started going over 40, I got this strange vibration and the steering wheel was shaking.

I am freaking out because of course it is Christmas week and I have a big drive ahead of me on Wednesday!

What could it be!!!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
that happenes to me too when im on the freeway and i start breaking and i live in Los angeles there is no snow and i dont know the problem too

Sam- this is for both you and Bellarx. I know this is a long shot but I read something on one of the brake parts manufacturers sites. It said that brake lining material can get stuck on the surface of the rotors. This is not stuff you can see but could probably see under a microscope. It is often transfered when the rotors are hot and the brakes are applied for a little while (as they would be from a lot of stop and go and then having to stop with your foot on the brake for a little bit). The cure is simply on a back street or an area where there aren't hardly any cars around (don't want to cause an accident), speed up and apply the brakes hard 3or4 times. That is supposed to cause the pads to remove the transfered material from the rotors. (Just make sure you don't have to sit with your brakes on until they've cooled down). I have actually tried this when the brakes get a little "pulsating", like a little bit of warp to the rotors. And it actually worked! I drive an '04 Ford F-150 and they have had problems with them where when the emergency brake is applied and then released, the cable gets dry inside and doesn't release the EM all the way, and there have been quite a few reports of shaking so bad by about 40 MPH that they had to pull over because they couldn't control the truck. Don't know if this will give either one of you an answer or not but it is something too consider.

that happenes to me too when im on the freeway and i start breaking and i live in Los angeles there is no snow and i dont know the problem too

Sam- this is for both you and Bellarx. I know this is a long shot but I read something on one of the brake parts manufacturers sites. It said that brake lining material can get stuck on the surface of the rotors. This is not stuff you can see but could probably see under a microscope. It is often transfered when the rotors are hot and the brakes are applied for a little while (as they would be from a lot of stop and go and then having to stop with your foot on the brake for a little bit). The cure is simply on a back street or an area where there aren't hardly any cars around (don't want to cause an accident), speed up and apply the brakes hard 3or4 times. That is supposed to cause the pads to remove the transfered material from the rotors. (Just make sure you don't have to sit with your brakes on until they've cooled down). I have actually tried this when the brakes get a little "pulsating", like a little bit of warp to the rotors. And it actually worked! I drive an '04 Ford F-150 and they have had problems with them where when the emergency brake is applied and then released, the cable gets dry inside and doesn't release the EM all the way, and there have been quite a few reports of shaking so bad by about 40 MPH that they had to pull over because they couldn't control the truck. Don't know if this will give either one of you an answer or not but it is something too consider.

wow thank you i will try this defenitly and ill get back to you

• 3 months later...
My steering wheel begins to shake as soon as I hit 65 MPH. There is no shaking when I apply the brakes (at either speed).

Can anyone offer any additional insight?

thanks!

Could be your control arm bushings,tire belt went awry.

• 3 months later...

thank you, please post, I am sure there are a bunch of folks with the same symptons. I wonder if it is your ball joints......

thank you, please post, I am sure there are a bunch of folks with the same symptons. I wonder if it is your ball joints......

dude, my balls are none of your business! j/k

I'm also contacting NTB, as they fitted my car with new tires about 2 years ago. So I want to see if they will correct the issue first for free.

This is a general issue with any tire brand and on any vehicle, the circumstance is that the tire is unevenly worn (from one side to the other, usually caused by low tire pressure) and is causing the vehicle to shake at high speed. I recently had a similar issue on Corolla and after replacing just one tire the problem was fixed.

Hope this helps

RXnewguy

dropped it off on Friday night and picked it up Saturday morning. The service guy said that the tires just needed to be rebalanced - $70. I then drove the car up to AC, and no shakes whatsoever. So I was very pleased.

I had the tires replaced about 2 years ago at NTB. I decided to go to NTB b/c they were saving me about $200 compared to my local dealership (for the same set of tires).

I contacted NTB earlier last week to see if they should rebalance them, but they have yet to get back to me after telling them what location I had them done. I'll try to see if they will reimburse me, but I doubt it.

anyhow, thanks to those of you that replied with some helpful suggestions.