Transmission Fluid Change In 05 Es 330

mkla

I've come across a lot of posts talking about tranny fluid changes / flushes in pre-330 models, but I was wondering if it's necessary in the ES330? I can't find anything on that. I think the dipstick says fluid is life of the vehicle (or 100,000 miles - I forget), and I heard the 350 doesn't even have a dipstick. I guess as someone who has an Acura - notorious for bad trannys - where I do a drain and fill every 5K with the oil changes (probably overkill, but better safe than sorry), I'm a little nervous not to change it all. Maybe I'm just old-school. Any recs? Thanks!

What does it say in the supplemental owners manual under the maintenance schedule. Mostly this will be listed in the 15k, 30k, 45k, etc services.

If you have a drain plug AND a dipstick, I would do this:

Call you dealership and ask the service department what is included in their 30,000 mile service. This is usually a major fluid change service. If they say they drain and fill then tranny, then there you have it. I would do a simple drain and fill on the 15s. I used to do this on my 02 ES and never had a problem. At 108k miles the fluid was still cherry red and sweet smelling. As you know, simple drain and fills are actually less expensive than oil and filter changes (easier, too).

If they don't list the drain and fill as part of their service, ask them what they recommend.

Then call another dealership and see what they do. Don't just take one dealeships word for what should be done.

steviej

My dealer tech says Trans fluid change no longer listed on the big service (30, 60, 90) - it has become optional. My 2001 ES with 57K will get the service at 60K per the tech's recommendations - "if you want to keep the car long term, change the fluid." Same applies to throttle body cleaning - no longer part of the big service. Guessing Lexus is trying to get the price of their big service down so they are more competitive....

I do atf change every 50K miles. i use amsoil oil + atf. oil + filter good for 25K miles and atf is good for 50K miles. both atf + oil still fairly clean at the change interval. since change oil + atf in such long interval, remember to check and top off if needed. the engine does burn just a bit of oil, which is normal.

I would only use the Toyota OEM fluid, the reason being Lexus has had some history of transmission failures in the ES and RX, now not the newer versions (pre-01) but better safe than sorry. Using an aftermarket fluid is just asking them to blame a failure on that fluid.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm at 45K now, so will probably drain / refill now despite the "life long" fluid message imprinted on the dipstick. Anybody know how many quarts if I just drain out of the bolt (ie, don't take the pan off)? I realize that won't drain everything, but something's better than nothing.