Loud Whinning Sound When Engine Is Cold

luvmyls4

I just joined the club, I owned a 97 LS 400 with 100K mi and 94 ES 300 with 210K mi. After owning Bimmers (break my wallet) for the past 15 yrs its time to switch to more reliable vehicles.

I have a problem with my LS. In a cold day my car will whine loudly after it started then it will go away once is warmed up. Sounds like possible problem with the power steering pump. Any advice and how to fix it will be greatly appreciated.

Not the right color! You need to change the fluid and flush the system. Here's how:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html

I would also read up on cleaning the reservoir screen, rack solenoid and acv on the pump.

• 1 month later...
I just joined the club, I owned a 97 LS 400 with 100K mi and 94 ES 300 with 210K mi. After owning Bimmers (break my wallet) for the past 15 yrs its time to switch to more reliable vehicles.

I have a problem with my LS. In a cold day my car will whine loudly after it started then it will go away once is warmed up. Sounds like possible problem with the power steering pump. Any advice and how to fix it will be greatly appreciated.

could be air in the powersteering system . someone else on forum suggests leaving cap off resevoir overnight.

or it could also be the tensioner pulley. mine sounded like something was whining/grinding like berrings. when it warmed up it went away.

it was easy to replace pulley and problem was solved. do you have a stethascope? there cheap. then you could narrow it down to what it might be.

Sounds like the "wonderful" ;) power steering pumps that grace these otherwise excellent cars. :rolleyes: I thought that the 1995-newer models did not have much of an issue like the 90-94s did, but it may be where your fluid is so old since its black.

Yeah, change that fluid. Mine is self changing on my 1991. Every 3 days its got all new fluid in it. :P

Hey,

I had the same problem too and was very worried. Had a friend, president of the auto club at school, take a look. He said it was completely normal. The cold does put stress on the PS Pump but when warmed up is fine. Suggested that I don't push the car too hard until it warmed up some. The whining was also accompanied by a rapid tick-tocking sound; like a rapid metronome. That is also normal, was some part (cant remember the name) that that made that noise when cold. Was related to difference in 'summer' and 'winter' engine oil I believe.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have this same issue on an '04 LS430. Cold days, the whine is there, and without pulling the engine cover and simply listening, it is coming from the front half of the engine. Once warm, the whine is gone.

Has anyone found there to be other solutions to this or could it still be the alternator or water pump?

Thanks.

I know this is an old thread, but I have this same issue on an '04 LS430. Cold days, the whine is there, and without pulling the engine cover and simply listening, it is coming from the front half of the engine. Once warm, the whine is gone.

Has anyone found there to be other solutions to this or could it still be the alternator or water pump?

Thanks.

Well, it could be a number of things. Depends upon the mileage of your vehicle and how it was maintained. The first thing I would do is replace the serpentine belt if it has not been replaced in the last 50k miles or 5 yrs. Actually, the first thing I would do is open the hood and use a mechanics stethoscope to try to pinpoint the noise. You might try tugging on the steering wheel very slightly when it is whining and if it is the pump, you may hear the whine increase or change pitch. I suppose it is possible for the PS pump to whine simply because the fluid level is low.

Yet other reasons for cold weather whine is because you are drawing heavy current from the alternator with the rear defroster and seat heaters on.

BTW deadguy, welcome to the forum. :cheers: Apparently you have met our other member, DEATH. B)

Thanks.

Well, it could be a number of things. Depends upon the mileage of your vehicle and how it was maintained. The first thing I would do is replace the serpentine belt if it has not been replaced in the last 50k miles or 5 yrs. Actually, the first thing I would do is open the hood and use a mechanics stethoscope to try to pinpoint the noise. You might try tugging on the steering wheel very slightly when it is whining and if it is the pump, you may hear the whine increase or change pitch. I suppose it is possible for the PS pump to whine simply because the fluid level is low.

Yet other reasons for cold weather whine is because you are drawing heavy current from the alternator with the rear defroster and seat heaters on.

BTW deadguy, welcome to the forum. :cheers: Apparently you have met our other member, DEATH. B)

Thank you Landar. Yes, I saw "Death" earlier. :lol:

Since I posted this message I walked out and started the car. The noise is coming from the alternator region and I assume the PS pump (based on where the fluid hose connects). When the wheel is turned, the whine does in fact increase.

The car has 83K miles, and was serviced by the dealer around 80,500. The belt looks to be fairly new. The battery was replaced when purchased Oct. 15 of this year, but the car's service history shows a problem with the last battery dying prematurely due to an interior light that was left on while parked on the lot. I'm sure/assume this would not have affected the alternator in any way.

Fluid level is where it should be and fluid is correct color.

I think that is all I can tell you at this point but please ask more questions if you think it will help and I will do my best to answer them.

I had two whining noises on my '95 LS400. It was rather easy to find the culprit using a mechanic's stethoscope.

• A high-pitched squealing noise from an alternator belt idler pulley bearing. You can try to pry the cover off the bearing and repack it. The plastic seals can be re-inserted. I used a dentist-type tool.
  • More of a whining noise from the power steering pump. Although I was very skeptical I decided to give the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak (and Squeal) a try. See e.g. here. It worked perfectly and solved all squealing. I just emptied half of the reservoir and filled it back up with Lucas PSSL.