Replacement Battery

It is time to replace the battery on my 05 GS300. Does anyone have any suggestions. Help with type and the correct dimentions (physical size) would be helpful.

Thanks,

Russ

I am running a yellow top optima battery sits a tad lower but here is a fix, one like i'll be doing soon. i used motor spacers (not car motors but like condensor and blower motors for hvac)

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393495

most retailers have a fitment guide already handy for you... as far as what brand you want to use thats entirely up to you....

I usually use the walmart brand battery because I go ahead and exchange them every two years....

although I sent back the last one for store credit and I installed a Kinetik HC1800 ($220) instead. The yellow tops that Brian mentioned are also very good.

They Kinetik's Dimensions are 10" x 6.5" x 8.2" so anything around that size would fit. Wider would fit also, but no taller.

Here is a link to a battery size chart: http://www.rtpnet.org/~teaa/bcigroup.html

The battery group size is often shown on a label on the top of the battery although I noticed when I just now checked our Camry that the group size "24F" is embedded in the battery model of its Toyota Truestart battery. Our 00 LS400 has the same group 24F battery size in it. Sometimes smaller batteries (e.g. group 24 for the LS400) are listed as being compatible but I try to buy the largest battery that will fit in the battery holder -- the largest batteries that will fit the battery tray usually have the most cranking power. That said, I do not know what group size is used in your GS.

I have not noticed a correlation between price and battery life although a correlation may exist, and I've never had a battery last nearly as long as its rated life in months no matter how well I take care of them. Batteries in our Lexus LS cars over the past 19 years have usually lasted from 3 - 5 years although one failed after only one year. I've decided to give up on buying expensive batteries and bought the last one at Walmart -- installed it myself in their parking lot rather than wait in line -- an easy five minute job using the wrenches in the Lexus tool kit. I wait until a battery shows signs of weakness/failure before I replace it -- I haven't been stranded yet or at least my luck has held for over 40 years.

One thing to watch out for if you buy a battery with removal battery caps is to verify that the battery hold-down bracket and any engine compartment battery trim covers do not interfere with the removal of the caps. I've never purchased a supposedly maintenance free battery. I'm in the engine compartment checking all the fluid levels weekly anyway so I keep a battery bottle filled with distilled water on a shelf in the garage.

My name is Mo, the battery I had last the longest was a Die Hard Gold Battery from sears... it still works... lasted 9 years in my mazda 626 and now its just sitting in my garage becoming an environmental hazard.

I went with the Kinetik because I get it at cost price and because I've seen my friend who is a professional installer use it in hundreds of cars without any issue. I just figured I'd give something else a try.

It is time to replace the battery on my 05 GS300. Does anyone have any suggestions. Help with type and the correct dimentions (physical size) would be helpful.

Thanks,

Russ

I would suggest you only use a Lexus replacement battery. My '98 GS3 came with a Panasonic battery from the factory in Japan that lasted 10 years! I don't think you want some dumb looking yellow or red top battery sitting in the pristine engine bay of your '05, do you? Come original.

His 05 has an OEM battery in it... it obviously hasn't lasted 10 years.

My 02's OEM battery lasted a good 4 years...

but for what an OEM battery cost, just go with another brand battery... chances are the black shroud that was with the old battery will still fit over the new one.

Thanks,

Russ

I would suggest you only use a Lexus replacement battery. My '98 GS3 came with a Panasonic battery from the factory in Japan that lasted 10 years! I don't think you want some dumb looking yellow or red top battery sitting in the pristine engine bay of your '05, do you? Come original.

but for what an OEM battery cost, just go with another brand battery... chances are the black shroud that was with the old battery will still fit over the new one.

My experience with the OEM Lexus battery was outstanding - 10 years of service is longer than ANY other OEM battery I have ever owned. I'm just relating my Lexus experience; Russ can read all of the comments and then decide for himself.

2JayZ is correct - the Japanese make some of the best batteries in the world, which makes sense as they also make the best electronics in the world, which is why these cars are so damn reliable.

I use Lexus/Toyota batteries only - they fit, work well, last a long time, and cost LESS than the other guys.

When I was younger a buddy bought '72 Toyota Hilux pickup and he had to change the battery - in 1984!

All arguments aside... chances are if you're buying a battery that it was probably produced by Johnson Controls Battery Group... only about 3 companies produce most of the batteries on the market with Johnson Controls being the largest of the 3.

They make the Optima Brand, as well as the toyota brand batteries and hundreds of other "brands" that you may pick up anywhere.

The Panasonic Batteries are made in Japan... by Panasonic as far as I know. However their performance has not been spectacular in my experience but I live in a climate that gets extreme high and low temperatures and that does effect a battery. I personally would not pay extra for something that doesn't perform any better but if you do find a Panasonic (not toyota/truestart) brand battery for around the same price as others I'd consider it. Then again you only got about 3 years out of your OEM battery... so the choice is yours, just know that lots of batteries have a full replacement warranty of at least 2 years, many have a full 3 year with prorated warranties after that.

" The award was given to Johnson Controls to recognize its 100 percent on-time-delivery and order fulfillment for the original equipment automotive batteries it supplies to the automaker. In 1998, Johnson Controls shipped 225,000 batteries to Toyota. While Toyota battery orders have increased each year, Johnson Controls has continued its perfect fulfillment record.

Johnson Controls supplies automotive batteries to Toyota for the original equipment market under the Toyota brand name."

Johnson Controls also makes -

[sears' DieHard, Auto Zone's Duralast, Wal*Mart's EverStart, Motorcraft, Optima, etc. Starting]

My Lexus dealer had to replace the OEM battery of my 98 GS400 one week before the warranty expires with another OEM. I finally replaced the 2nd OEM with an Autozone Duralast 24-DLG (yellow/gold top) last year & that things takes about half the time to crank start the engine compared to the 2 previous ones. Only time will tell it's durability but so far I like it. Btw, there's no aftermarket audio or engine mod done to my vehicle.

If you were to do your own battery swap just make sure you wire brush clean the inside of the terminal clamps to create good contact.

PF

My Lexus dealer had to replace the OEM battery of my 98 GS400 one week before the warranty expires with another OEM. I finally replaced the 2nd OEM with an Autozone Duralast 24-DLG (yellow/gold top) last year & that things takes about half the time to crank start the engine compared to the 2 previous ones. Only time will tell it's durability but so far I like it. Btw, there's no aftermarket audio or engine mod done to my vehicle.

If you were to do your own battery swap just make sure you wire brush clean the inside of the terminal clamps to create good contact.

PF

thats true, nothing will tell better than time! before u install try using some of those felt covers to go over the terminals they sell at autozone. i know they look silly but they supposed to reduce corrosion and some petroleum jelly (n no not of your night stand, your gonna go blind :lol: ) or some grease can also help reduce corrosion ODDLY enough Baking soda and water works very well to clean them also AND NOT the coke theory we have all heard for years....

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Thanks,

Russ

My experience with the OEM Lexus battery was outstanding - 10 years of service is longer than ANY other OEM battery I have ever owned. I'm just relating my Lexus experience; Russ can read all of the comments and then decide for himself.

I am still running on my OEM battery; and got no problems with it for few years