Nitrogen (purigen 98%) In My Tires.

My local Lexus dealer uses only Nitrogen to fill tires. The service reps claim that Nitrogen has many benefits including, improved ride, longer tire life, cooler tire temperature during driving, etc. etc. Are these claims true and, if so, are there other additional benefits to using Nitrogen in my tires? Thank you in advance for answering my question.

2005 GS300 in Florida

the dealers can say what they want, but i get my nitrogen from costco.. for free... its overrated if you're expecting a drastic improvement in anything.

The only benefits I really noticed is that you don't need to add air or in this case nitrogen as often it won't corrode your wheels or deteriorate your tires.

I don't have any issues with wheel corrosion of rotting tires but someone who doesn't go through tires as quickly as I do may appreciate that.

tires filled with regular air lose about 1psi a month... thats not the case with nitrogen.

Air at sea level is about 78% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen. Nitrogen filled tire can't hurt, but it's benefits for the average car driver are probably not worth any cost above filling up with good ol' "air".

My thoughts exactly. Nitrogen is highly over-rated, usually by people who also believe in anthropogenic global warming and think CO2 is a toxic gas.

we've had many discussions about this before....search some old posts.

i personally have nitrogen for a few reasons, it was free to me when i got my new tires, it is supposed to hold a more consistent tire pressure due to the ambiance of nitrogen and it tends not to fluctuate with temperature like air does. all these people scream and rave about it doesn't do anything or ne good BUT i highly doubt all these car manufactures are starting to put nitrogen in there cars just for the fun of it without having done SOME research and it obviously showed a positive effect for them, highly doubt they gonna waste the money if it wasn't doing something positive.

here read a few of these.......some are arguing for and some against this

http://www.tiresavernitrogen.com/?gclid=CL...CFSCysgodfBS8Tg

http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2...-instead-of-air

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/automobiles/09MOTO.html

well since i got mine free i wont argue with it but im not paying the $40 lexus wants to drain old tires and fill them will nitrogen.

either way im happy with them as they are....need to start checking pressure more often though :P just to be sure

Free @ COSTCO. Nitrogen air is good, but don't go out of your way for it.

damn its $10 a tire at the costco in memphis.....not that i would use them neways but they better than the stealership lexus who wants $40 a tire

• 1 month later...

Nitrogen aside, anybody know of spraying tires with WD40 for better grip?? i've heard of using clorox to clean tires and then apply something for better "stickyness? any ideas???

p.s. I did the wd40 and do think it gave me like 5% more grip and the tires were more quiet when drifting.......... :P :P

Air at sea level is about 78% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen. Nitrogen filled tire can't hurt, but it's benefits for the average car driver are probably not worth any cost above filling up with good ol' "air".

My thoughts exactly. Nitrogen is highly over-rated, usually by people who also believe in anthropogenic global warming and think CO2 is a toxic gas.

:lol: