Heat Mixing Vent?

jiggapoo

1996, a little over 200k miles. It's about 33 degrees outside. I get heat when moving (but not much) and cold air when stopped--even when engine is warmed up.

In addition, the fan sounds like it's blowing hard when I have it on full blast but I don't get much from the vents. Note that I have this same weak flow problem with the A/C on (the air is cold but just doesn't flow hard even though the blower sounds like it's working hard).

To me it feels like there is a mix vent that is not keeping the outside air out and/or not letting the interior blower do its job.

Is this a common problem, is there a common fix? I tried a search in the forums but "mix vent" is not allowed so I'm stumped.

your pollen filter needs replacing also known as cabin filter.

If you look behind the glove compartment you will see a small part of the glovebox clips away to reveal the filter - simply pull old out and replace with new one - 2 min job

If you look behind the glove compartment you will see a small part of the glovebox clips away to reveal the filter - simply pull old out and replace with new one - 2 min job

You must own stock in the company that makes the cabin filter! I don't see how that'll solve the problem. Can you explain?

You must own stock in the company that makes the cabin filter! I don't see how that'll solve the problem. Can you explain?

I'm sure he means that your filter might be causing the low flow issue you mentioned. It's certainly worth checking before you start diagnosing and repairing expensive a/c parts.

He must own stock????? You must not change the air filter on your engine either??

Just think of how much air would be passing through if it's completely clogged up.....NOT MUCH.......and the fans try harder to push air through a clogged up system.....thus leading to climate system problems.....

He must own stock????? You must not change the air filter on your engine either??

Just think of how much air would be passing through if it's completely clogged up.....NOT MUCH.......and the fans try harder to push air through a clogged up system.....thus leading to climate system problems.....

But what if, instead of a filter, there was a solid piece of metal? At that point I wouldn't get ANY air!

But what if, instead of a filter, there was a solid piece of metal? At that point I wouldn't get ANY air!

You've lost me with that one

You've lost me with that one

It's simple really, instead of replacing the filter, you just replace the metal. :D Then again, you can always just turn off the CC. That way you don't have to worry about having no airflow.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the cabin filter is the problem with the air flow and the change will fix that.

With respect to intermittent heat, 1) Pull the codes via a diagnostic run described here: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/air/accodes.html 2) Check engine coolant level; 3) Change the coolant reservoir cap; 3) Check the heater control valve for proper function.

You can find further reading ion this issue here elsewhere on this website: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;hl=heat+idle

-Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...
1996, a little over 200k miles. It's about 33 degrees outside. I get heat when moving (but not much) and cold air when stopped--even when engine is warmed up.

In addition, the fan sounds like it's blowing hard when I have it on full blast but I don't get much from the vents. Note that I have this same weak flow problem with the A/C on (the air is cold but just doesn't flow hard even though the blower sounds like it's working hard).

To me it feels like there is a mix vent that is not keeping the outside air out and/or not letting the interior blower do its job.

Is this a common problem, is there a common fix? I tried a search in the forums but "mix vent" is not allowed so I'm stumped.