Trans Fluid Question

killerFatty

I was wondering what the concequences, if any, would be if I used AMSoil or royal purple tans fluid insted of the toyota stuff. I always hear "Make sure and use toyota type IV", but it seems like another quality trans fluid will do the same or better job. So whats the big diffrence?

Royal Purple is terrible and will likely end up just destroying the transmission over time.

Some people may tell you otherwise, but I consider Amsoil and most other high-priced synthetics to be a huge waste of money. I have never been able to find any evidence from a credible source that proves they are any better than the Toyota OEM fluids, or other synthetic oils made by companies like Mobil One or Valvoline.

My 1992 LS currently has about 148,000 miles. A friend drives a 1994 with over 300,000. Both of our cars are doing just fine with Valvoline synthetic motor oil and Toyota OEM transmission fluid, changed at recommended intervals.

Yes, there are reasons why you should stick with Toyota OEM fluid. But my question is, why switch to anything else?

With respect to engine oil, differential oil, and brake fluid, you rarely hear about a particular brand of oil causing problems as long as normal fluid changes are made. For example, when is the last time you heard about someone's engine failing because they used Pennzoil instead of Castrol? Or 10w-30 instead of 5w-30?

This tends to be a different story with automatic transmissions. First, there are substantive changes between different types of transmission fluid (Dexron, Mercon, etc.), and it is well documented that using the wrong type of transmission fluid can do significant harm, if not destroy, an automatic transmission. Perhaps Royal Purple or Amsoil can be used in place of Toyota Type IV with no negative effect; I have no idea. On the other hand, given the higher risk that the wrong fluid can do substantial damage to an automatic transmission, and given that there is no evidence that Royal Purple or Amsoil are any better, why risk it? The only Toyota fluid I use is the Type IV transmission fluid, and I see no reason to change that.

With respect to engine oil, differential oil, and brake fluid, you rarely hear about a particular brand of oil causing problems as long as normal fluid changes are made. For example, when is the last time you heard about someone's engine failing because they used Pennzoil instead of Castrol? Or 10w-30 instead of 5w-30?

This tends to be a different story with automatic transmissions. First, there are substantive changes between different types of transmission fluid (Dexron, Mercon, etc.), and it is well documented that using the wrong type of transmission fluid can do significant harm, if not destroy, an automatic transmission. Perhaps Royal Purple or Amsoil can be used in place of Toyota Type IV with no negative effect; I have no idea. On the other hand, given the higher risk that the wrong fluid can do substantial damage to an automatic transmission, and given that there is no evidence that Royal Purple or Amsoil are any better, why risk it? The only Toyota fluid I use is the Type IV transmission fluid, and I see no reason to change that.

Toyota Type IV is the safest route but I'm up to try the Amsoil. Many others have tried it and I haven't heard a single complaint.. who knows I may be the first complaint but Amsoil makes good products and I'm willing to give them a shot.

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/au...oyota_Honda.htm

Toyota Type IV is the safest route but I'm up to try the Amsoil. Many others have tried it and I haven't heard a single complaint.. who knows I may be the first complaint but Amsoil makes good products and I'm willing to give them a shot.

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/au...oyota_Honda.htm

Don't do it man. I lost a Chrysler Sebring Convertible because a mechanic put in Dextron "with additives" and it's an ATF+3 only transmission. Dextron is grabbier. Guess what happened? ($2000 got sent to Jasper 30,000 miles later).

Toyota and Lexus manuals are specific BY MODEL.

Example:

1994 Lexus SC300 - Use Dextron-II

1994 Lexus SC400 - Use Toyota T-II

Hope this helps.