Snow Driving

Hello everyone. I'm looking to buy a 2000/2001 GS 400/430. Is there anyone that can let me know what to expect when driving them in the snow? From about 6" and less. Is the GS 400 better because the throttle is not electronically controlled? Your insights would be appreciated.

it rarely snows in NY and when it does the main roads are plowed quickly so its not an issue for me...

um what part of ny u in cause it snows EVERY year in ny. im from erie pa and we got lots of snow up there too, my uncle is in elmira ny and they get snow constantly! face it the north gets snow so im not sure what your talking about! snow driving is very unreliable unless u running snow chains and i dont recommend using them! just click your snow mode on and it should reduce the torque and help a little, i use it when i drive up there

brian

I'm on long island... they're pretty good with salting out here and it rarely sticks... when it does the plows hit the roads quickly... when it does really come down I've still managed to get around in the GS... even though I do have and chevy blazer and I just got a 4runner... I just wouldn't take my 350z out in the snow... i barely take that thing out in the rain... it scares me a lil...

• 2 months later...
Hello everyone. I'm looking to buy a 2000/2001 GS 400/430. Is there anyone that can let me know what to expect when driving them in the snow? From about 6" and less. Is the GS 400 better because the throttle is not electronically controlled? Your insights would be appreciated.

My '98 GS400 with 175,000 miles is not effective in snow, and certainly not on ice, which we get in the Pacific Northwest because salt isn't permitted and sand is used sparingly. This is hill and mountain country, not for the timid or reckless. 2nd car is AWD with 4 Nokian Studded Snow Tires on dedicated wheels. Pricey but only way to go in a safe fashion. Next best way is staying home in front of a crackling HD TV Fireplace.

Jetstream

Eugene, OR.

My '98 GS400 with 175,000 miles is not effective in snow, and certainly not on ice, which we get in the Pacific Northwest because salt isn't permitted and sand is used sparingly. This is hill and mountain country, not for the timid or reckless. 2nd car is AWD with 4 Nokian Studded Snow Tires on dedicated wheels. Pricey but only way to go in a safe fashion. Next best way is staying home in front of a crackling HD TV Fireplace.

Jetstream

Eugene, OR.

I always wondered when the Pacific Northwest would consider the safety (and lives, actually) of their citizens over the concern for adding a little salt to Puget Sound. Sounds like the environmentalists are still winning. :rolleyes:

In any event, placing good snow tires on steel wheels at all four corners will help a great deal when driving in winter conditions. In light snow, traction control proves to be quite helpful. Anything over 6" and I turn VSC off.

Bottom line is that the RWD GS doesn't go well in the snow and there isn't really much that can be done about it.

I can't speak for the GS 400 or 430 but I have no problems with my GS 300 in the snow. I live in Rochester, NY. We got over 46 inches of snow in December; need I say more? I bought inexpensive but decent looking alloy wheels and put on Nokian Hakkapeliitta unstudded tires ($165/per). They are awesome! I did my research before buying the GS 3 because I hadn't driven a RWD car in 20 years. Everybody I spoke with locally said pretty much the same thing - invest in top quality snow tires and drive with some intelligence. In four years I've seen every winter condition imaginable, ice, slush, hard packed, powder, you name it. I've had no problems. In fact, it handles better than my wife's Sienna and my neighbor's Odyssey, both FWD models.

Of course you also have to consider where you're driving. My experience is pretty much all suburban, city, and highway. I haven't ever had it on any back country roads but being from NJ, I doubt you will either. Good luck.

I would highly recommend not just any 'winter' tire but a 'studless ice & snow' winter tire for the GS. B)

:

I wouldn't purposely take my 2001 GS300 out in the snow but during one of those snow storms we have here in Seattle during rush hour, where people abandon their cars on the freeway, my GS300 made it home on almost bald tires. In snow mode, it moved past stranded Beamers, fwd cars and even waved to a stranded state patrol on a freeway entrance ramp. So for a RWD car, it's not bad.

Jetstream

Eugene, OR.

sounds like you need this invention they made awhile ago called a snowmobile lol....they very useful or a WRX with some dedicated snow tires...make sure you bring the hot chocolate to that fire though :) no your right the gs isnt effective on snow....i pulled over outside new york on the beltway (omfg you people drive soooooooo slow on that thing) and stopped to take a pee as i had been driving for like 8 hours and when i got back in, on like 4-6 inches car was spinning the tires....dropped her in snow mode and crept forward/back till i got out.

I wouldn't purposely take my 2001 GS300 out in the snow but during one of those snow storms we have here in Seattle during rush hour, where people abandon their cars on the freeway, my GS300 made it home on almost bald tires. In snow mode, it moved past stranded Beamers, fwd cars and even waved to a stranded state patrol on a freeway entrance ramp. So for a RWD car, it's not bad.

y are driving on bald tires.......and funny cant recall last time i have EVER seen a stranded state patrol officer in any state i have been!

• 1 month later...
I appreciate everyone's replies but I decided to purchase a 2006 G35x instead for better peace of mind. Now I'm wishing that it would snow...I guess when I'm in the market for a second car I will get a GS430 without hesitation.

wow, that only took like 2 months to get the lexus shot down lol

it rarely snows in NY and when it does the main roads are plowed quickly so its not an issue for me...

um what part of ny u in cause it snows EVERY year in ny. im from erie pa and we got lots of snow up there too, my uncle is in elmira ny and they get snow constantly! face it the north gets

I know exactly what you're talking about. Been through Erie on my way to either Cleveland or going south through Pittsburgh. You can see Lake Erie completely covered in snow because during most winters, it freezes over. Take a look at Buffalo .... too bad there's no ski hill nearby ... it would be fabulous skiing ... just a case of can you get there? Also been along the southern coast of Lake Ontario on the way to Canandaigua or Watkins Glen, tons of snow.

snow driving is very unreliable unless u running snow chains

I remember wwest post's about chains. He was quite adamant about them, didn't believe in snow tires at all.

i have a gs430.we had snow tires on it and it gets stuck constantly its dangerous because with traction control on once the tires spin the traction control locks up...with it off u cant get it to move it just spins..id buy the car and then buy a cheap winter ride to keep it nice thats what i do..trust me its a bad idea

..id buy the car and then buy a cheap winter ride to keep it nice thats what i do..

I've done that for years. I'd even suggest, if you're buying preowned, add a bit more to your budget and shop for cars that have been stored winters. Sure makes a difference in the car's condition.

One thing I've found early on; it's as important, perhaps even more so, to keep the beater in roadworthy condition, especially the heater and wipers. Experiencing a break down in the winter can be much more than an inconvenience.

i have a gs430.we had snow tires on it and it gets stuck constantly its dangerous because with traction control on once the tires spin the traction control locks up...with it off u cant get it to move it just spins..id buy the car and then buy a cheap winter ride to keep it nice thats what i do..trust me its a bad idea

This has me curious. Exactly what make, model and size of snow tires do you have, how many miles are on them and what is their tread depth. Were you getting stuck in all snow conditions or in snow of a particular depth? I'm surprised that one of the more recent GS cars with the snow mode transmission setting and with snow tires would be having that much trouble

I just drove the GS 300 in the snow and I haven't had much trouble with it, the VSC keeps the wheels from spinning, sometimes it needs to be turned off here and there but in overall its very drivable. Sure it's not as easy as some FWD cars but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. It's all up to the driver. On the side note, making a fast turn while pressing the gas on a turn can be fun with our cars ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I appreciate everyone's replies but I decided to purchase a 2006 G35x instead for better peace of mind. Now I'm wishing that it would snow...I guess when I'm in the market for a second car I will get a GS430 without hesitation.

wow, that only took like 2 months to get the lexus shot down lol

Boo! :P

Cmon! Snow mode and drive slowly. :rolleyes: