2000 Ls 400 - 24k Miles

texasbigdog

Hello,

I just bought a 2000 LS400 Platinum Edition with only 24K documented miles. The car has been driven 19K of those miles since late in 2001. an elderly gentleman bought it new and drove it weekly, just not very far. My question is about the age of the timing belt. I would be worried if the car had just sat for years without being driven. However, its been about 2,500 miles per year. Any thoughts on the need to replace a 9-year old timing belt with 24K miles.

Thanks In Advance

TexasBigDog

1997LS400 - 157K miles

2000LS400 - 24K miles

You got a great car - well done! If I ever found one like that locally I'd jump at it.

The belts normally have a 96k mile or 7 year interval for replacement. You'd do well to have the belt replaced and then drive worry-free. If it was my car I wouldn't hesitate to do the full service now.

I would. Would you drive on 9 year old tires if they still had tread? You could take off one or both of the top belt covers and see if there's evidence of cracking or dry rotting. If it's the original belt I would replace it, especially if you DIY. With such a gem of a car with that low of miles I wouldn't spare expense on maintanance.

Since yours is an interference type engine, I would not play around. As suggested above, eyeball the belt with a strong flashlight looking for wear/ hairline cracks and also if you can, feel it to see if it is starting to disintegrate.

My guess is it's fine, but check anyway. 24,000 is not much runtime on a belt that beefy. Hell, get a techs opinion.

Congrats!

• 5 weeks later...
how much did you pay for that man?

I'm buying an 01 with 30K miles, picking it today in fact. And this was my exact question.

Seems pretty unlikely that I'd need to do a timing belt but I'll have it checked in the next few months, just in case.

I'll agree with SRK on this. It's such a beautifull motor, why risk delaying a crucial service when you know you'll have to change it sometime in the future? Then it becomes a guessing game. When do you change it? You're in new territory now. You're under the mileage but over the interval. And you know when it's going to go ... right after you decide to change it out but before you bring it in! With issues like this, Murphy's Law rules, Trust me! It's a gamble. So if you're feeling lucky, go for it. I wouldn't. For a bit more insight before you decide, read up on what happens to an interference engine when the TB goes!