Winter Tires Or Good All Season

bhasser

I haven't owned a RWD vehicle for several years and just purchased an 05 LS 430 with 30,000 miles with original 245*45*18 OEM tires. I live in IA and get a fair amount of ice and snow and was wondering if a dedicated set of snow tires is recommended. I was going to buy Bridgestone Pole Position All season tires but I am concerned about safety and didn't know if it was worth the extra $$ for dedicated winters or not. If so can you recommend some. Also, any recommendations besides the Pole Positions for all seasons.

THanks

I would strongly recommend you get a separate set of rims with snow tires. Far less hassle then changing tires back and forth on your 18s every year, and + you do not want to have big wide snow tires,narrower ones are far better in snow. Think about it, what good are winter tires if they are wide and partially act like snow shoes...(wider tires are better when its dry, but not in snow)

I am assuming your stock ones are good wit only 45k miles, but if you do change them, I highly recommend Falken ZE-912 as they are great all season tires, especially for summer use. (I used them as my summers on my e320)

Get some 16 inch ones with snows. For my old 01 E320 4matic, I bought a used set of 16 inch rims of Craig's list, and put snow tires on them. I can vouch that Michellin x-ice tires are good but $$$. Equally good tires are Nexen [Kumho] Eurowin Winter Tires (sister has these for her Camry), and they are cheap!

I myself would probably use Yokohama AVS Winter V901.

Mind you, I have a set of Nexen winguard SUV winter tires here that I am using as winters on my new RX350 AWD. (mind you with an SUV, I need SUV tires)

check tirerack or 1010tires.com and read some reviews - cheers!

I haven't owned a RWD vehicle for several years and just purchased an 05 LS 430 with 30,000 miles with original 245*45*18 OEM tires. I live in IA and get a fair amount of ice and snow and was wondering if a dedicated set of snow tires is recommended. I was going to buy Bridgestone Pole Position All season tires but I am concerned about safety and didn't know if it was worth the extra $$ for dedicated winters or not. If so can you recommend some. Also, any recommendations besides the Pole Positions for all seasons.

THanks

Definately get a dedicated set of winter tires & rims for your 'new' LS. If I were you, I'd go with a 225 60 16 set with many good winter tires to choose from. These Bridgestone's are a steal right now in that size...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=4

:cheers:

Although this issue has been talked to death on this and other Lexus forums, I'll throw my two cents in.

I spend a bit of time in the Des Moines and Cedar Rapids areas visiting family in the winter and wouldn't dream of driving our LS without real winter tires -- the type with the snow flake / mountain logo on the side walls. A couple of Christmases ago, only two of many family vehicles made it up the hill to my sister-in-law's house in Des Moines -- a Honda 4WD SUV and our Lexus with Blizzak snow tires; everyone else had to park at the bottom of the hill and slog about 1/8 mile up the hill to the house.

16" or 17" wheels and tires would be fine and would provide more comfort driving on potholed roads during the winter than 18" wheels and tires. The original tire size on the 01-02 LS430 was 225/60-16 and that would still be a good size for winter tires on your 05 LS.

Two other winter tires to consider (that Tire Rack does not carry) are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi...

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx

And the Toyo Observe Garit KX...

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx

Both excellent choices....but will be on the pricey side.

:cheers:

• 2 months later...
Two other winter tires to consider (that Tire Rack does not carry) are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi...

+1 on the Nokian's. I know the RSi has recently been replaced with the Hakkapeliitta R. From what I understand, Nokian has improved upon the RSi 10% overall and the Hakka R is labeled Ultra Low Rolling Resistant:

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-7147-nokian-hakkapeliitta-r.aspx

These are a little more than some of other studless winter tires out there, but in talking with Josh at Tiresbyweb (they seem to be one of the few that stock Nokian) you get what you pay for. Winter tires are the safest way to roll!

+1 on the Nokian's. I know the RSi has recently been replaced with the Hakkapeliitta R. From what I understand, Nokian has improved upon the RSi 10% overall and the Hakka R is labeled Ultra Low Rolling Resistant:

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-7147-nokian-hakkapeliitta-r.aspx

These are a little more than some of other studless winter tires out there, but in talking with Josh at Tiresbyweb (they seem to be one of the few that stock Nokian) you get what you pay for. Winter tires are the safest way to roll!

Anyone thought of the Goodyear Asurance line? i cant advocate for them in snow yet, but my comfortreads are kicking !Removed! in the constant rain we have had here since install, and my friend has the triple treads on a 1993 LS and his car kicked !Removed! last winter....

just a thought...but i agree with the snow tire on separate rims thing. then all you have to do is get a small air compressor, an Air Impact, 2 jackstands and a socket set of choice....all of which can be acquired for less than $500 at sears.

The only reason i stick with all seasons is because i HATE road noise and every winter tire i have had or ridden on is HORRIBLE for it.

• 2 months later...

I reside in Vancouver, British Columbia. I have an RX330 with 18inch alluminum alloy wheels. Bought in USA. We really don't get more than a few days of snow here but when we occassionally go up to Whistler, they want you to have snow tires. I would like to get a good new set of all season tires. I believe there are some with a snowflake logo on that qualify for the roads up to Whistler?

Can you make any recommendations? I know nothing about cars and tires.

Thanks.

Aileen

Here is a Tire Rack article that has a link to a list of ""Tires Suitable for Use in Severe Snow Conditions": http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

Your post reminded me of a memorable day in Vancouver's Stanley Park when some "nut case" on a bicycle was screaming "Superman's paralyzed" as he road his bike around -- it was the day or day after Christopher Reeve fell off his horse. My wife and I ended up spending the evening with the "nut case" (a tugboat operator) and his girlfriend bar hopping down Robson Street.