05 Ls430 Won't Start

ganpan

Hi-

My 05 LS430 has 53,000 miles on it. Today morning when I tried to start the car, it did not. It was not completely dead - It gave a "tuk tuk tuk tuk.." sound as if it was trying hard, but it did not start.

I did not try doing anything with it after that. The last time I drove it was Sunday evening and it was perfectly fine.. What do you guys think is the problem ?

I didn't try jump starting it.

-Ganesh

Welcome to the LOC :cheers: My first impression would be that you have a dead battery, either it drained somehow, or you need a new one. Try jumping it and taking the car somewhere that tests the battery and charging system.

Original battery? If so, that's it. That was the problem with mine and they usually go out around 50k. Give it a jump. If that works, take to it to the nearest spot to get a new one.

It is the original battery.. I am surprised it would last only 50k miles. On the other hand, i would be happy if it is just the battery and not an expensive repair..

Thanks to all..

Welcome to the LOC :cheers: My first impression would be that you have a dead battery, either it drained somehow, or you need a new one. Try jumping it and taking the car somewhere that tests the battery and charging system.

Thanks.. I didn't leave any lights on.. Unless there were other leaks that the dealer would charge me a ton to diagnoze..

I am hoping LS are reliable cars..

The LS is a VERY reliable car. Probably the most reliable car out there. Take a look through this forum and you'll see people with absurd mileage on these cars with very few problems. Of course sometimes things are just going to happen because they're man made. But, overall, you can't buy a better product. Browse through a few magazines (Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, etc.) and see what is always at the top of the list as far as reliability is concerned.....Lexus. Sometimes batteries just don't last long. My last battery (a Sears Die Hard Gold) only lasted 2 years. It was under replacement warranty so I didn't pay a dime for the new one.

Let us know if the battery was truly the problem and welcome to the Lexus family!!

I had the same experience about a year ago. Battery fine; struggled to start one morning (but started) and was fine; then next morning dead as a doornail.

I had been to Sears a couple weeks prior as I actually did kill the battery by leaving the light on...they tested both it and the charger and they said both were fine. It's not the car's fault; sometimes the battery just croaks. I went back to Sears and bought the biggest; baddest battery that would fit in the battery well.

I think that a) these cars have a heavy draw when they sit (all those electronics waiting to be summoned alive); and B) the battery is actually pretty small for a V8. My 4 cylinder Mercedes diesel has a battery that's almost twice the size of the one in the LS; and I've probably replaced it twice in 15 years.

Hi-

My 05 LS430 has 53,000 miles on it. Today morning when I tried to start the car, it did not. It was not completely dead - It gave a "tuk tuk tuk tuk.." sound as if it was trying hard, but it did not start.

I did not try doing anything with it after that. The last time I drove it was Sunday evening and it was perfectly fine.. What do you guys think is the problem ?

I didn't try jump starting it.

-Ganesh

Probably is only the battery. The comment on steady drain for alarm, Smart Access, etc. is cetainly correct, in particular Lexus recommends turning off the Smart Access if the car is left sitting for a long time. As far as batteries go, I can't recommend the Optima Red Top spiral type construction enough (not cheap, but very tough).

I had the same experience about a year ago. Battery fine; struggled to start one morning (but started) and was fine; then next morning dead as a doornail.

I had been to Sears a couple weeks prior as I actually did kill the battery by leaving the light on...they tested both it and the charger and they said both were fine. It's not the car's fault; sometimes the battery just croaks. I went back to Sears and bought the biggest; baddest battery that would fit in the battery well.

I think that a) these cars have a heavy draw when they sit (all those electronics waiting to be summoned alive); and B) the battery is actually pretty small for a V8. My 4 cylinder Mercedes diesel has a battery that's almost twice the size of the one in the LS; and I've probably replaced it twice in 15 years.

You're exactly right. The smaller batteries can actually have greater cranking capacity but the larger batteries have greater durability because the plates are further apart from each other with more electrolyte between them. When replacing batteries for the LS, buy full sized. They'll last longer.

Had similar problem with 2004 with 59K miles.

My problem is that when I listen to radio on ACC for about 30 minutes, car won't start. Wait about an hour, and it starts right up.

Dealer checked the battery, alternator and found no problem. Dealer mentioned that it could be caused by "old" battery but surprisingly enough, did not try to sell me a battery. <_<

Anyway, good luck in finding a solution to your problem.