Changing The Speakers

Okay I listened to that sub behind the rear seat headrests. That bass really doesn't travel to the driver/passenger seat area. My guess it's because of the positioning of the speaker. Also, it doesn't handle loud volume with the bass cranked very well.

I guess you must have been riding in a crown vic before with 4 or 5 subs with each its own amp in the truck not to be satisfied with the stock system in this car. I get plenty of bass in the drivers seat with the bass level at less that half. :lol:

Amen to that.

I am gonna stick with my stock sub but there is this rattle that keeps annoying me. I checked it out and its actually the "carpeted" roof of the trunk hitting the roof of the trunk. I don't know if you know what I mean but is there any way that I can fix this?

yeah, it's pretty easy. When you open the trunk, stick your head in it and look up. The first thing is to pull those metal slide clips out. They pull in the direction of the rear of the car. Then just pop the plastic tensioners out. You can use a pair of wire cutters, to do this. Just slide each side of the jaw under the plastic cap and pull straight up. They pop right out. Then I would use insulating foam, felt pads, or a towel, or something light and that will stop that from being able to bang on the top like that. You might even want to use some dynamat or something? Just an idea anyway.

Okay I listened to that sub behind the rear seat headrests. That bass really doesn't travel to the driver/passenger seat area. My guess it's because of the positioning of the speaker. Also, it doesn't handle loud volume with the bass cranked very well.

I guess you must have been riding in a crown vic before with 4 or 5 subs with each its own amp in the truck not to be satisfied with the stock system in this car. I get plenty of bass in the drivers seat with the bass level at less that half. :lol:

It's not always about quantity. It's also about quality. I listen to alot of different types of music, and the stock bass system is bit to "loose" and lags. I like the bass to be tight and clean. Not to mention that by adding the sub I was able to clean the mid range up even more as the door speakers now don't have to produce as much bass as the sub does it so much more effeciently now. So my bass setting on the head unit is at 2, and I have the gain on the amp actually set to the amount of bass I like to have. The ambiance of the sound is so surreal now, you would be amazed!!

I think I'd get my bent rim fixed or replaced first.

Now that you mention it, I agree. No ice till the freezer's running right! LOL!!

The bend in the rim is a bigger issue on the forum than it actually is in real life :) , vibration is minimal. + Once I rotate the tires in a few months I shouldn't feel much of anything in the front.

Sound quality is all subjective to the listener & it really depends on what kind of music you're listening to. I'm sure no one will argue that the performance you get out of a stock amp & 8" sub doesn't come anywhere close to comparing to that of an aftermarket amp & 12" sub B)

I am gonna stick with my stock sub but there is this rattle that keeps annoying me. I checked it out and its actually the "carpeted" roof of the trunk hitting the roof of the trunk. I don't know if you know what I mean but is there any way that I can fix this?

yeah, it's pretty easy. When you open the trunk, stick your head in it and look up. The first thing is to pull those metal slide clips out. They pull in the direction of the rear of the car. Then just pop the plastic tensioners out. You can use a pair of wire cutters, to do this. Just slide each side of the jaw under the plastic cap and pull straight up. They pop right out. Then I would use insulating foam, felt pads, or a towel, or something light and that will stop that from being able to bang on the top like that. You might even want to use some dynamat or something? Just an idea anyway.

Hey thanks smooth, I'm going to try and do that this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.

How do I get to the original sub? Do I have to remove the back seats first?

linn

Yeah, it's a PIA to get that speaker out, but I've had worse on other cars. I was originally going to just replace this speaker with a more powerful better frequency range sub, but it looks like you have about a 3 inch clearance in there, and I couldn't find what I thought to be a good replacement that would fit in there. So I went with a sub enclosure in the trunk instead. I'm pretty happy with the sound I have now. The midrange range speakers really image well at higher volume levels now that they don't have to do bass duty as well anymore.

Ok smooth, I put towels in between the carpet and the actuall roof of the trunk but now a different rattle is there and it is worse. It might be coming from the taillight hitting the rear window? :huh:

Ok smooth, I put towels in between the carpet and the actuall roof of the trunk but now a different rattle is there and it is worse. It might be coming from the taillight hitting the rear window? :huh:

Were you able to track down the first rattle? Maybe get a buddy to sit in the back seat while you reproduce the rattle so they can locate where it's coming from exactly so your not padding the wrong elements,and making other things rattle.

Ok so here is what I did and it fixed all of the rattles. In between the carpet and sub I cut a sponge and put it in between the sub and the carpet roof. Also the mesh-type cover behind the headrests was rattling up against the carpeted area right underneath it, so I cut up a sponge and wedged it in between those two also and it sounds better than it ever has.

Ok so here is what I did and it fixed all of the rattles. In between the carpet and sub I cut a sponge and put it in between the sub and the carpet roof. Also the mesh-type cover behind the headrests was rattling up against the carpeted area right underneath it, so I cut up a sponge and wedged it in between those two also and it sounds better than it ever has.

The relentless pursuit of perfection. :)

• 4 years later...