May Sell My 96 Ls400

rwallican

Just wondering what your thoughts are on a price range. I bought it with 42k at the Lexus dealership in 2003 and it now has 129k. Black with tan interior. Have all service records (some done at dealership but most at my local indie) and it is currently up to date. Immaculate condition. No door dings, lustrous paint, driver's seat has minimal cracking. No interior stains. No sunroof (got a good deal on it for that reason). New set of Michelin MXV4s (less than 1000 miles).

I'm about to inherit a 2000 Silverado from my dad (mostly going to be used for hauling dogs, tailgating, and mountain biking) and I've just got that bug to buy something! I'm considering that GS 350 or newer LS430. What do you think is a reasonable price to ask for it?

It really depends on what area of the country you are in. Since I don't live where you live, I don't know what similar cars are selling for in your area.

The best thing to do to would probably be to look places like cars.com to see what others are asking for cars similar to yours. Then you can base your asking price off that.

You are generally going to take a pretty big hit in resale value without the car being equipped with a sunroof, but it sounds like your car is in fairly good condition and has been taken care of well. That will probably make up for it, if it stands out from others in those areas.

My 95', at about 132k on the clock, in cherry condition with documents and receipts to prove it, sold for about $7,500 last November. It sat for a long time. I started at $9,000 myself, had several calls, but nothing came through. I then took RXinNC's advice and called a friend of his who sells used luxury cars. It took a while, but it did sell. The hard part isn't the interests you'll receive, because you'll get plenty of interest. The hard part is the money. At that age of car, it's either an all-cash deal, or a personal signature loan, which requires very good credit. What we found is in those price ranges, most folks don't have the kind of credit required to get a signature loan for that amount, or if they do the interest rate and term is too high.

An interesting tidbit that happens here in NC, true story, not meant to be slanderous by anymeans. My inlaws live in the country, about 50 miles east of Raleigh. Several farmers use mexican labor out there. And if you put a car up for sale for the right price, no matter what the miles are, just as long as it starts and runs, they buy it with the cash received from working in the fields. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. They had a 99' Honda Accord, with over 250k miles, parked it on a corner in town, and it was sold for $5,900 cash, within a few days. They also have a 99' Civic coupe, with 280k+, for sale in the same spot for about $5k, and it too is getting lots of bites. But, the head gasket needs to be replaced. They inherited an old Oldmobile Cutlass that could barely hold oil, and again, bham, sold. So, that might be something to think about as a possible avenue....

My 95', at about 132k on the clock, in cherry condition with documents and receipts to prove it, sold for about $7,500 last November. It sat for a long time. I started at $9,000 myself, had several calls, but nothing came through. I then took RXinNC's advice and called a friend of his who sells used luxury cars. It took a while, but it did sell. The hard part isn't the interests you'll receive, because you'll get plenty of interest. The hard part is the money. At that age of car, it's either an all-cash deal, or a personal signature loan, which requires very good credit. What we found is in those price ranges, most folks don't have the kind of credit required to get a signature loan for that amount, or if they do the interest rate and term is too high.

An interesting tidbit that happens here in NC, true story, not meant to be slanderous by anymeans. My inlaws live in the country, about 50 miles east of Raleigh. Several farmers use mexican labor out there. And if you put a car up for sale for the right price, no matter what the miles are, just as long as it starts and runs, they buy it with the cash received from working in the fields. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. They had a 99' Honda Accord, with over 250k miles, parked it on a corner in town, and it was sold for $5,900 cash, within a few days. They also have a 99' Civic coupe, with 280k+, for sale in the same spot for about $5k, and it too is getting lots of bites. But, the head gasket needs to be replaced. They inherited an old Oldmobile Cutlass that could barely hold oil, and again, bham, sold. So, that might be something to think about as a possible avenue....

sadly this is very true in parts of atlanta as well. I've seen terrible 1994 corolla's with over 200k sell for $4500. I could never take advantage of somebody like that. It all depends on the market and the demand. For some strange reason, a 93 ls400 and a 93 honda civic, are worth about the same in my area. i wanted to get a cheap 5-speed civic to save gas and rebuild my LS but i can't spend 3k on a civic, when i can get a 93 ls for that much or a 95 for 4k.

For some strange reason, a 93 ls400 and a 93 honda civic, are worth about the same in my area. i wanted to get a cheap 5-speed civic to save gas and rebuild my LS but i can't spend 3k on a civic, when i can get a 93 ls for that much or a 95 for 4k.

I think the reason is that for the average, not overly informed consumer, an older LS represents expensive parts that will be soon needing replacement along with expensive labor, compared to the civic. And I'm with you on your last comment. Can't see spending 5k to 7k on a civic or corolla to save gas when I know I can pick up a beautifull full sized, quiet, smooth LS for the same. Too bad there's no 1UZ-FE conversion available for cylinder deactivation which would save on the prem fuel we have to use.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on a price range. I bought it with 42k at the Lexus dealership in 2003 and it now has 129k. Black with tan interior. Have all service records (some done at dealership but most at my local indie) and it is currently up to date. Immaculate condition. No door dings, lustrous paint, driver's seat has minimal cracking. No interior stains. No sunroof (got a good deal on it for that reason). New set of Michelin MXV4s (less than 1000 miles).

I'm about to inherit a 2000 Silverado from my dad (mostly going to be used for hauling dogs, tailgating, and mountain biking) and I've just got that bug to buy something! I'm considering that GS 350 or newer LS430. What do you think is a reasonable price to ask for it?

I didn't know you could get a 96 LS (or any LS for that matter) without a sunroof...?? Anyway, I just sold my 96 LS 400 with 174k- black, tan leather, very well-maintained (needed nothing but oil changes until 225k miles), fully loaded (Nakamichi, heated seats) for $6,000. It took me a month to sell the car (I listed it on Autotrader.com and Craigslist). I was asking $6,800 initially, then took $400 off the asking price because the car needed new tires. I walked away feeling good about it and so did the guy who bought it, as he had a 1990 LS with 215k miles and knew the reliability of these cars and knew what he was getting with mine based on service records. It's funny the kind of people who called about the car- I had 3 people who had a 95 or 96 LS and their wife/son/daughter had wrecked it and they wanted to buy another one. These folks didn't haggle much on price. I agree with the other poster about the weird price that these fall in- due to the age, most banks will not provide a loan, so you're narrowed down to folks who have cash who can buy your car. I got tons of calls from people offering $5,000 without seeing the car, and just laughed at them. I knew I would sell the car to someone who had owned an LS before and actually valued the way I maintained the car. It was really hard to sell it- my first Lexus- I loved it. If you're looking to buy another Lexus, I'd stick with the LS personally. In the process of selling my car I met a couple of folks who had 95 or 96 LS's and bought a GS and miss the hell out of the LS because of the ride (smoother and more quiet). I drive on the highway a ton and absolutely love the LS- I bought a 2004 LS 430 from a dealer in Jacksonville- 70k miles, no navigation for $22k. Now is the time to buy because of the economy and everyone's fear of a V8... Don't tell anyone I'm getting 28-30mpg consistently on the highway in the 2004...

Good luck in your decision.