Sudden Engine Shutdown - Anyone With This Experience?

jrbtn

I have had notihing but good things to say about my 2004 LS 430 until a couple of weeks ago. On 2 different trips of 200 miles each I have had the engine shut down for a half second or so at 70mph. On the second trip I also had it completely die at around 60mph as I was taking an off ramp that led directly to an on ramp for another interstate. I had to pull over and it restarted immediately. A couple of days ago my wife pulled out to pass a car and it briefly shutdown again. Needless to say, she won't drive it until it is confirmed fixed! Otherwise, it runs great. Mileage is normal. This is not a misfire. It is just like the ignition switch is turned off and then back on. So far the Dealer has no clue since there are no fault codes.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem??? Thanks for any help!

Classic electrical symptoms.

Has the trunk wiring harness issue been resolved in this model year? It sounds just like it.

Do a search for " sputtering " , "stalling" etc. This affects mostly older model years i.e. 1st and 2nd gen. models.

Sounds just like it tho.

Fuel would give slowly worsening symptoms. When it's all of a sudden, then I would suspect electrical.

Have your ignition coil / module checked. Check all plug wires.

Have an electrical system check done.

Classic electrical symptoms.

Has the trunk wiring harness issue been resolved in this model year? It sounds just like it.

Do a search for " sputtering " , "stalling" etc. This affects mostly older model years i.e. 1st and 2nd gen. models.

Sounds just like it tho.

Fuel would give slowly worsening symptoms. When it's all of a sudden, then I would suspect electrical.

Have your ignition coil / module checked. Check all plug wires.

Have an electrical system check done.

Thanks for the input and advice folks! I'll start getting these checked out.

The engine shuts down or the whole car and its electrical systems?

This is strange, and the first time I've ever heard of a 430 acting like a generation 1 LS400, which would do this due to engine computer issues. I remember test driving a 98' GS300 with about 80k several years back, and it stalled on the highway as well. The engine shut down, but the electronics were still active. I believe it turned out to be a bad tps. It was a repo my former employer had in their consumer lending department.

I would assume a check-engine-light kicks on when this happens? I'd swing by an Autozone type store and ask if they'll connect their computer to the car and get the codes from the computer. That might point you right to the problem. Even if the light isn't on, I'd still scan the computer, as I'm sure something has to be stored in there.