Question About Raplace Brake Pads

Zdeno

Hi guys, I have couple question about replace the brake pads on my 1991 LS 400. I think that anyone from you already did this job. I never changed the brake pads on this car so I would like to know if I need some special tools or if there are some tricky things. And I have been in autozone about new front brake pads and they have some CARBON METALIC for $ 32,- Are this brake pads sufficient for this car ?? Thanks guys

There is nothing tricky...it's so simple to do. No special tools. Perhaps the "hardest" part is knowing that you have to depress the pistons so that you can fit the new pads in. It's a good time to make sure your rotors are in good shape. I had to have one of mine turned (cost of $10 at a local auto shop). Be sure you note how the shims fit on the pads so that you can place them correctly on the new ones. Do it wrong and you'll have squealing brakes.

I got the original pads from irontoad.com (should be $35.xx + $10.98 shipping). From what I've read here, I wouldn't mess with anything but the original pads if you want to have no worries.

Pick up a couple of air filters and maybe your lower ball joints while you're at it to defray the shipping cost.

Joe

Thank you very much, but I don´t have a time to wait till they send me brake pads from internet shop so I will have to buy them from auto shop. I hope the pads from autozone will works. Yes I will check the rotors, thanks. bye now

Lexus Brakepad is very easy to change, just take off the wheel and remove the clip wires and pins off, slip out the brakepad, then use your tire opener to wedge/depress the pistons, or you can use a plier to depress the pistons.

The reason that you need to depress the pistons because the new brakepad is much thicker than old one. From here on, you can do the reverse order.

PFC-CARBON-METALIC BRAKE PAD/SHOE - FRONT for a 1991 LEXUS LS400

Unit Price: $31.99

Core Value*: $0.00

Part No.: 4764

Weight: 3.61 lbs.

Warranty: LLT

Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days

Store: Normally Stocked

Note:

MULTI-LAYER TECHNOLOGY FOR NOISE REDUCTION, SUPERIOR STOPPING PERFORMANCE, PREVENTS SOFT/MUSHY PEDAL.

What do you think guys ??? it is copied from AUTOZONE.com

Zdeno,

Before you push the pistons back in.....

Be sure and use a clean turkey baster (or equiv.) to remove most of the fluid from the Master

Cylinder. When you push the pistons in .... the fluid will rise in the MC so this way it won't overflow!!

My manual says to put duct tape over the end of a adjustable wrench handle and use it to push the pistons back.

Spray some brake cleaner on a rag and wipe off the dust areas too!

Good Luck,

Don't know about the pads.

I bought OEM from Lexus and they were about $55 for the front set. They are in a Toyota Parts Box.

Do you have Toyota dealer nearby _ and another car so you could pull a set of the worn pads off the Lexus and take to Toyota to Match up?

Great,

Call Lexus first to get their part # for the pads, maybe new shims & clips too.

The Toyota #'s will probably start with different couple of numbers but will pretty much match up.

Showing Toyota the real parts Themselves should get you and exact match.

Good luck :D