Touch Up Paint

Hey guys,

Is anyone else having issues with paint chipping? It seems like my car is a magnet for rocks and bugs... all have all these little chips It sucks, cause the IS is a georgeous car!

Anyway, i tried to apply the touch up paint using the paint pen, and it seems to smear quite a bit... I bought it from lexus, and I was wondering if there are any suggestions in applying it so it looks seamless?

By the way, Im kinda new around here this is my car below:

2007 IS250 AWD

Voice Activatred Navi

Blue Tooth

ML

Factory Tint

Remote Start

This is is a hot little number, my friends who drive the 325xi rave about the 250, claim it to be quicker and tighter in turns with less lean... Just a little FYI... it always makes me smile thought it might do the same for you other IS250 AWD owners

post-70102-1213138930_thumb.jpg

post-70102-1213139108_thumb.jpg

post-70102-1213139138_thumb.jpg

I own a white IS as well and can agee how it's a magnet for rock chips. I to have used the Lexus brand touchup paint and personally I think it's a joke. The pen part didn't even work for me so I unscrewed the top of the cap and used the brush. However, I find that the paint is so runny that it look shorrible when applied to the car. I have shaken the paint until my arm has about fallen off but it's still runny. :angry:

Hey guys,

Is anyone else having issues with paint chipping? It seems like my car is a magnet for rocks and bugs... all have all these little chips It sucks, cause the IS is a georgeous car!

Anyway, i tried to apply the touch up paint using the paint pen, and it seems to smear quite a bit... I bought it from lexus, and I was wondering if there are any suggestions in applying it so it looks seamless?

2007 IS250 AWD

Voice Activatred Navi

Blue Tooth

ML

Factory Tint

Remote Start

This is is a hot little number, my friends who drive the 325xi rave about the 250, claim it to be quicker and tighter in turns with less lean... Just a little FYI... it always makes me smile thought it might do the same for you other IS250 AWD owners

dude i hate to burst ure bubble

u dont have ML

Hey guys,

2007 IS250 AWD

Voice Activatred Navi

Blue Tooth

ML

Factory Tint

Remote Start

dude i hate to burst ure bubble

u dont have ML

I dont... No i guess not... I see a little marking on the pictures i just googled! That sucks cause the dealer told me it did! it even came on the invoice, I wonder if it's worth making a stink over... I got it for 8k under blue book... it was 1 year old when i bought it....

Now back to the clear bra.... I cant get it to stay on without looking like crap

Assuming it actually says ML on the invoice when you bought it I'd certainly complain. That's a $1500 "option" on cars equipped with nav.

Already called the dealership, all taken care of.... your concern is appreciated

using the touch up pen is going to be quickest cheapest way to touch up a small stone chip or maybe knicks on the door edge. to fix the problem completely you would have to have a bodyshop repair and repaint the panel. there just isnt a way to avoid stone chipping. 3M makes a product, its a thin clear plastic thats made to fit each indiviual application, covering the hood, fenders and bumper cover. it however should be applied after purchasing the car, before you have a chance to chip up your car. ask your dealer about the product. i work for a lexus dealer and we sell it all the time. it works

using the touch up pen is going to be quickest cheapest way to touch up a small stone chip or maybe knicks on the door edge. to fix the problem completely you would have to have a bodyshop repair and repaint the panel. there just isnt a way to avoid stone chipping. 3M makes a product, its a thin clear plastic thats made to fit each indiviual application, covering the hood, fenders and bumper cover. it however should be applied after purchasing the car, before you have a chance to chip up your car. ask your dealer about the product. i work for a lexus dealer and we sell it all the time. it works

Wait a second,,,,hold up......You mean to tell me that the only two ways you know of are the paint pens or taking it to a body shop? What about all the chip and scratch repair kits? And what about shops,( usually mobile) that specialize in paintless dent removals and rock chip repairs? What about the kits that use syringes and small bonding and filling agents to fill the rock chip in first, and then a micro applicator syringe to apply the paint? Which I beleive are the kits or are very similar to the ones the pros use? Like:

Touch up Kit

Langka Kit

Color Kit

I was waiting to see if anyone posted thier experiences with some of the other kits out there. I have used the syringes and those work great! I haven't used the Langka kit, but I learned about the Color Kit from another company that uses it for some of thier cars and it does look ok. I didn't think it looked as good as doing it with the Syringes, so I was waiting to see if anyone had used it or something else like it.

sorry to say, but unless you arent too picky about the way your touch ups look, id save your money. molbile touch up guys, unless you are dealing with a guy with several years experience, (which there arent too many of, because if they were good enough at what they were doing they'd be working at a decent bodyshop) you are usaually dealing with a young inexperienced guy who most likely wont be doing the greatest job. mobile touch up consists of some guy mixing a close enough color to what you have on your car and spray painting the damaged area outside. this exposes your fresh paint to the outdoor elements. taking it to a good bodyshop the chipped panel is repaired and repainted using a computerized paint mixing system that qaurantees color match, while being painted in a paint/bake booth. you might as well do it yourself in your driveway and save the $200. i dont know about you but i wouldnt want my $30.000 plus car to have an airbrushed paint job.

sorry to say, but unless you arent too picky about the way your touch ups look, id save your money. molbile touch up guys, unless you are dealing with a guy with several years experience, (which there arent too many of, because if they were good enough at what they were doing they'd be working at a decent bodyshop) you are usaually dealing with a young inexperienced guy who most likely wont be doing the greatest job. mobile touch up consists of some guy mixing a close enough color to what you have on your car and spray painting the damaged area outside. this exposes your fresh paint to the outdoor elements. taking it to a good bodyshop the chipped panel is repaired and repainted using a computerized paint mixing system that qaurantees color match, while being painted in a paint/bake booth. you might as well do it yourself in your driveway and save the $200. i dont know about you but i wouldnt want my $30.000 plus car to have an airbrushed paint job.

What? I have several friends that work in and own body shops. One of my best friends specializes in high end custom paint jobs. And they allways get people calling with rock chip repair and light scratch removals. So they go out get the same kits you and I can get and fix them at an upcharge. Nobody is going to pay the outragous price it would cost to have a complete front 4" section across the hood painted, and reclear coated just for rock chips. Even the best painters have to blend and feather the edges of the new paint line. They would almost allways tell you that they would rather just paint the entire hood, so then they only have to color match, and not worry about blending so much. So your saying that rather than use less than a drop of paint to fix some rock chips, the only right way is to repaint the entire hood? Yeah.....I don't think so. I think the kits offer a very nice option. And as for the "young inexpereinced guy", that's why it takes more than just cracking open a phone book and calling the number that "sounds" good to ya, and setting an appointment. Sometimes you can get lucky and get the right guy the first time, but if you ask around, and talk to the right people, somebody will know or have a guy that has been doing it for years and he does this great job,,,and all that. You have control over who you let do stuff on or to you car.

What other points did you touch on?

And you think because I touch up my rock chips myself using professional tools for the repair I must not be to picky? Why?