93 Ls Fuel Economy

silvermistLS

Hey all,

Just wondering... They say the total fuel capacity on my 93 LS is 22.5 gallons. I filled up with 90.00 and averaged 25MPG overall city/hiway. Based on that mileage, I should get around 525 miles to the tank??? do you guys really think this is possible? Doesn't seem doable..

I get ~400 miles/tank highway, ~300 city, with a '93. if you're really getting 25mpg mixed i'd like to see how. how are you figuring the numbers?

25mpg is not unheard of on the highway, but that'd be quite the lucky owner. 20mpg highway and 16-18mpg city is typical. check and double-check your numbers if you think you're getting more.

i check my fuel economy at each fill up and i range between 16-20(17-18 in typical driving) in town (depending on conditions and my right foot ) and between 20-25 on the open road.

those are my ranges. with normal 70 mph and few stops i avg around 23 on the highway.

I know.. I'm also a bit shocked. So Sunday evening, I fill up all the way I was already about 10miles into my yellow light (reserve i guess) so it takes 90.25 to full fill up (click) then I drove 118 miles (by the end of that day...

Then, I wen't back to 76, and pumped again till the nozzle clicked... which showed 4.65 gallons.. so, 118/4.65 is 25.3MPG. Although my comute is freeway, there is a bit of traffic in the morning, and quite a bit in the afternoon on the way home. I'd say 35% in traffic overall. Yes, I did baby the throttle, and never went over 80. I filled up all the way this morning, and tripped the speedo again, I'm hoping to see what I can get out of a tank. If I can do 450, I'll be happy. but can you guys confirm that the total fuel capacity is 22.5?

what do you mean by odo? My understanding is the the fool proof way to calc MPG, fill the tank, trip the odo, drive say 50 miles, fill the tank again, and divide gallons pumped this time around, by the mileage on the trip odo...?

Do you have a dif. formula?

I have a 93ls with 123k miles. Past 2 years, new coil,wires, plugs, caps, rotors. multiple TB cleanings and many cans of seafoam. I get, at best, with the A/C off 15-16 mpg in the city with just myself in the car. But with 3-4 adults , a trunk full of luggage, and the A/C on, the mpg on the highway is always 25-26 mpg. I always reset the trip odom. at every fill-up. And use a calculator to find the mpg.

I divide the miles driven by the number of gallons pumped.

well, i'm curious to see what kind of range I end up getting on a full tank. if the tank is really 22.5, there must be a reserve of 3 gallons which means one could/should be able to get at least 50-60 miles on the reserve....

What is the most you guys have gotten when the light goes orange? I've done 22 miles I think...

22.3 gallons! i remember exactly cause my poor LS starting bucking!!! I almost ran out of gas for the first time. I try to fill up within 30 miles of the orange light.

In town with moderate driving I average about 17-18mpg. On the highway at 65-70 I can get 25mpg or better. When I cruise at 80-85 with occasional faster and slower, I average 23.7 last weekend. I know this car could get about 27-29mpg if it was run on flat terrain without me driving. I tend to run a little faster than some.

I get a little over 23 mpg on my regular 180 NV trip from Henderson to Laughlin in my '94 LS with 116K. I can live with that..

But what bugs me is that my roll bar pretty Mazda MX-5 turbo convertible gets about 25 mpg on the same trip.

Same speed, one car weighs 2,500 lbs, one weighs 4,800 lbs.

So I think the mfrs were not thinking-How's that Thundra/Tundra plant doing in San Antonio?

GW is out of the country right now. Wonder why...."We're dying here, Jerry". George Costanza.

22.3 gallons! i remember exactly cause my poor LS starting bucking!!! I almost ran out of gas for the first time. I try to fill up within 30 miles of the orange light.

What is the most you guys have gotten when the light goes orange? I've done 22 miles I think...

I think you guys are playing russian roulette with your fuel pump. By running on less than a quarter to an eighth of a tank you're risking sucking up water and crap from the bottom of the tank that your filter may or may not be able to take out. Pump, injectors, etc are too expensive to take that kind of risk unless it's an emergency. I never let my tank go below a quarter. On a long trip, it gives my gang a chance to use the facilities and stretch our legs. Also gives my lombago a chance to recover from those seats. Not as good as my Volvo's.

okay... here are the stats.. full tank, 90.00 Dollars, I was able to get 436 miles (that was 19 gallons) out of my tank.. this is every type of driving freeway with traffic..(sometimes heavy) and a bit of street 15% maybe... Not bad it breaks down to like 23.8 MPG. Just kept it under 80, and easy throttle.

Just back from NY and my mpg was 27.7 on 1 tank and 27.3 on a 2nd tank.That was with regular unleaded and speeds of 65 to 72 mph with the cruise on about 70% of the time.Not too shabby for a 101000 mile 95 model.!