Drove A Highlander Hybrid Today

Hey guys,

I was driving by a Toyota dealer today and figured I'd drop in and see how many Hyrbids they had on the lot with the gas prices. Answer was they stock no Priuses, 10 week wait on them, they sell every Camry Hybrid in about a day, and it takes 2-3 days for Highlander Hyrbids. He had a Highlander Hybrid Limited and I figured I'd take a spin.

I've driven the RX400h but never the Highlander Hybrid, very nice! In fact it reinforces my original feeling that I almost like it more than the RX400h. Definately as a family vehicle (3 rows of seats, more rugged looking), don't know about for me as a business car...

The lack availability of the highlander hybrid a month ago is what pointed me towards the RX400H, but I was interested in at least looking at the Highlander had it been available to even look at. Also, I figured I wouldn't be able to get as good a deal since the demand was so high.

I think there is a post somewhere about the differences between the two.

Yeah, the Highlander is almost $47k fully loaded, and this dealer wasn't negotiating on them due to demand. A coworker of mine just bought a loaded RX400h and paid about that after negotiation...

The Highlander is more SUV-like, has the third row, has the keyless start and & entry. A little more interior room too.

I'd be hard pressed not to go with the Lexus to be honest given that scenario...

Yeah, the Highlander is almost $47k fully loaded, and this dealer wasn't negotiating on them due to demand. A coworker of mine just bought a loaded RX400h and paid about that after negotiation...

The Highlander is more SUV-like, has the third row, has the keyless start and & entry. A little more interior room too.

I'd be hard pressed not to go with the Lexus to be honest given that scenario...

But I still consider it a real shame that with the HH and RXh they went for performance rather than FE.

I'll wait for the Lexus HSD version of the RAV4 or the RX230H using the I4.

Meanwhile with gas at $4.00+ our 93 Ford Ranger with the 2.3L I4 is geeting more duty than normal.

It gets much better mileage than the normal Highlander, a-okay in my book. If you want really good mileage, get a Prius. I would trade our Prius on a Highlander HYbrid or an RXh in an INSTANT. I loathe driving it.

The little woman won't allow that though, and it doesn't make sense for me to drive an SUV every day with all the miles I drive. I wish they made an ES400h...

Mine was a 2WD w/ nav and it stickered for $49K and we got it for $46K. I found what you said, Highlander was stickering $47K loaded as we would like albeit with AWD, but the wheel upgrade worried me for tire replacement cost (19"). Also, little things like only the driver window had one-touch up and down while the Lexus has all 4 windows one-touch. Just little things here and there.

Believe me I wanted a Highlander to be it simply because a Toyota dealer is just about 10 miles away while our Lexus is about 25 miles away. For maintence that was important to me, but in the end I am very pleased with the RX400H.

I can't speak for now, but in October 2006 I bought two 2007 RX400h's, and got a decent deal. The two local Toyota dealers wanted a $2000 markup above list to which I said, "pound sand," or perhaps words slightly more colorful.

Tom

When it comes to my family, our vehicles will get smaller, not larger. I know the norm for manufacturers is to constantly increase the size of each model, but I think this trend will slow down or stop, now that gas is expected to be at the $6.00 mark by next year. Let's bring back the small pickup - that hybrid prototype would be in a class all its own. Bring it on!

Dave

When it comes to my family, our vehicles will get smaller, not larger. I know the norm for manufacturers is to constantly increase the size of each model, but I think this trend will slow down or stop, now that gas is expected to be at the $6.00 mark by next year. Let's bring back the small pickup - that hybrid prototype would be in a class all its own. Bring it on!

Dave

Yes, I would LOVE to see a Ridgeline w/SH-AWD but of the "size" of my '93 Ford Ranger. capable of carrying 4 people comfortably plus just enough PU bed.

Supercharged(***) (Miller Cycle engine) small(1L..??) I4, HSD but fuelled with "home-brewed (PHILL) CNG.

*** Turbocharging isn't a viable option for an Atkinson/(Miller cycle) engine, not enough heat/energy left in the exhaust path, ALL used up in the power stroke.

Or even better a SMART car with the above features. Or even a 4-two with a small PU bed that could be converted to two extra seats.

With a single (swivel) wheel tag-a-long trailer for the extra CNG tank for long trips.

Wow, paying almost 50k for a toyota!? have we lost our mind here? I got my 2008 RX400h for $4k under sticker, you just have to shop around and know how to negotiate. no comparison between the two SUV's, its a lexus, resale will be much better. if the Hylander Hybrid was $40k then i'd consider it, but not at that price!!!!!!! what is toyota thinking?

They sell every one of them they can stock. The normal Highlander is more than $40k for a loaded Limited.

Bear in mind the Land Cruiser is over $70,000 now.

Vehicle to vehicle, I like the Highlander more than the RX. It just speaks more to what *I* am looking for in a vehicle such as that, its larger, seats more people, and looks more like an SUV.

As for resale, I dunno. I agree resale is better on a Lexus than a Toyota, but I think the fact that its a Hybrid probably negates that somewhat.

It'll be interesting to see the new RX. Its going to be larger and more expensive than the current one, no doubt.

But I still consider it a real shame that with the HH and RXh they went for performance rather than FE.

Meanwhile with gas at $4.00+ our 93 Ford Ranger with the 2.3L I4 is geeting more duty than normal.

When we got our 400h 2yrs ago, I too, lamented over Lexus' emphasis on power versus FE. Ever since '03 I'd been reading up on the quickly ending fossle fuel issue, even as 3rd world countries are ramping up usage to equal our own wastefull ways. But posting here about de-emphasizing power, hoe-my-God. You'd of thought I had the plaque. :P

Now that fuel is over $4/gallon & quickly set to double again w/in a couple years, only the staunchest SUV / land barge operators still 'love' the whole 'image' ... and 'I need big' thing. More folks are getting on the 'practical' bandwagon. It's sad that the U.S. has waited so long to prepare for higher economy because it's killing the majority of folks that can't afford high costs for fuel (as well as food, heating, and realisticly, everything else, as the cost of everything else is tied to cheep fuel). And they can't afford to buy a hybrid as well.

Our next door neighbor bought the limited hyhi. But 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' wanted the Lexus 'name' over the less expensive hyhi, because for business purposes, she felt it looks more financially sucessful. IMO, I get that 'success' feeling by having the difference sitting in the bank. :D Next car for us will come next year, when Mitsubishi sells it's pure EV here in the U.S. ... it's bye bye Prius. I feel so disloyal. Still, better to recharge our transportation off a bank of photo panels than PI$$ away $100 bill or more, each week.

When we got our 400h 2yrs ago, I too, lamented over Lexus' emphasis on power versus FE. Ever since '03 I'd been reading up on the quickly ending fossle fuel issue, even as 3rd world countries are ramping up usage to equal our own wastefull ways. But posting here about de-emphasizing power, hoe-my-God. You'd of thought I had the plaque. :P

Now that fuel is over $4/gallon & quickly set to double again w/in a couple years, only the staunchest SUV / land barge operators still 'love' the whole 'image' ... and 'I need big' thing. More folks are getting on the 'practical' bandwagon. It's sad that the U.S. has waited so long to prepare for higher economy because it's killing the majority of folks that can't afford high costs for fuel (as well as food, heating, and realisticly, everything else, as the cost of everything else is tied to cheep fuel). And they can't afford to buy a hybrid as well.

Our next door neighbor bought the limited hyhi. But 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' wanted the Lexus 'name' over the less expensive hyhi, because for business purposes, she felt it looks more financially sucessful. IMO, I get that 'success' feeling by having the difference sitting in the bank. :D Next car for us will come next year, when Mitsubishi sells it's pure EV here in the U.S. ... it's bye bye Prius. I feel so disloyal. Still, better to recharge our transportation off a bank of photo panels than PI$$ away $100 bill or more, each week.

If by "pure EV" you mean plug-in to the commercial power grid you may need to read up on just how both our power grid and generating capacity is already currently "over-stressed". We may soon be looking to Canada as the more forward-looking Canadians are already in the process of abandoning fossil fuels.

Methinks the next step, most practical step all things/aspects considered, might well be CNG powered cars refueled at night via "home-brewing", compressing, of CNG using PHILL.

Screw the Arabs AND rid ourselves (for the moment) of the state and federal gasoline taxes.

jesus christ paying almost 50k for a toyota!? have we lost our mind here? I got my 2008 RX400h for $4k under sticker, you just have to shop around and know how to negotiate. no comparison between the two SUV's, its a lexus, resale will be much better. if the Hylander Hybrid was $40k then i'd consider it, but not at that price!!!!!!! what is toyota thinking?

Neon, your religious slurs are offensive to me. How about keeping them to yourself?

Tom

A traitor??? The Highlander is undoubtedly a better buy, but I believe people should buy cars that "fit" them. They aren't selling well in my area. What I'm noticing is that people are trading their GXs for RXs. There are still so many RXs in this area. The old Highlander sold well here but in 6 months I've seen 3 in this area. I could see 4 RXs in an intersection. I notice you have an ES. I think each of us has different preferences. I'd drive any Lexus before an ES. They even know that at the dealership when they give me a loaner. That doesn't mean one is better than another.

jesus christ paying almost 50k for a toyota!? have we lost our mind here? I got my 2008 RX400h for $4k under sticker, you just have to shop around and know how to negotiate. no comparison between the two SUV's, its a lexus, resale will be much better. if the Hylander Hybrid was $40k then i'd consider it, but not at that price!!!!!!! what is toyota thinking?

Neon, your religious slurs are offensive to me. How about keeping them to yourself?

Tom

Original post was altered.

Neon, I don't want to warn you again - please tone down your language!

Dave

They sell every one of them they can stock. The normal Highlander is more than $40k for a loaded Limited.

Bear in mind the Land Cruiser is over $70,000 now.

Sick as it sounds, $70K is cheep! Thanks for reminding me about how much money we squandered back before buying the 400h. The Full Sized Range Rover REALLY top stupid waste of money .... whish we'd have check consumer reports before we bought one in 2002. You'll have to enlarge the pic, to be able to make out the sticker shock:

Over $100,000 after luxury & sales taxes/licensing. oh lord forgive me :(

Prior to the extended warranty running out, we unloaded it. But prior to that (as one of many poor quality examples) a "service require" yellow light came on the dash. Boom. charge back to the manufacturer for a new tranny ... which had it not been under warranty? $6,000.

Then there was the pathetic 11mpg average, which would have been worse, it I wasn't babying it.

Needless to say, in comparison?

I love or 400h. Both hyhi AND Lexus are a great deal, for the money you pay.

Tom

lol ok dude not trying to offend anyone relax im a christian too

Tom

Dave

are you guys serious? im not cursing i dont see whats the big problem here

A traitor??? The Highlander is undoubtedly a better buy, but I believe people should buy cars that "fit" them. They aren't selling well in my area. What I'm noticing is that people are trading their GXs for RXs. There are still so many RXs in this area. The old Highlander sold well here but in 6 months I've seen 3 in this area. I could see 4 RXs in an intersection. I notice you have an ES. I think each of us has different preferences. I'd drive any Lexus before an ES. They even know that at the dealership when they give me a loaner. That doesn't mean one is better than another.

LOL How am I a traitor? Because there's a car I prefer to the RX? Actually, when looking for a luxury SUV the RX would be last on my list. The only reason the RX400h interests me is because its a hybrid. I just don't care for the RX.

You're right, people should buy cars that "fit" them. And IMHO the Highlander fits be better than the RX.

As for how they're selling, I'm sure they're selling well in your area. The Hybrid that is, SUVs in general are not selling well anywhere right now. The reason you've only seen 3 new Highlanders and plenty of RXs around is that the Highlander has only been out 9 months, and the RX in its current body style has been out for 4 years. You're going to see more RXs.

Its just a car man, I'm not a traitor because I like cars that arent made by Lexus too (doubly funny since Lexus vehicles ARE Toyotas). Thats 12 year old stuff.

Tom

Dave

are you guys serious? im not cursing i dont see whats the big problem here

Believe me, go around starting sentences with almost any religious figure's name and you will upset many folks. Maybe you didn't realize this, but I advise you not to get on a public forum and do this. Generally-speaking, Christians are peaceful people; you can't assume the same for some people of other religious affiliations. Be aware.

Thanks,

Dave