Recommended Interval For Tstat Replacement?

AZ Mike

I have a low mileage '99 LS400; just passed 60K miles. I will be doing the 60K mile maintenance this weekend, including cooling flush and fill. I couldn't find anything in the Lexus recommended maintenance regarding the thermostat. Is there a recommended mileage/age interval to do so?

I have a low mileage '99 LS400; just passed 60K miles. I will be doing the 60K mile maintenance this weekend, including cooling flush and fill. I couldn't find anything in the Lexus recommended maintenance regarding the thermostat. Is there a recommended mileage/age interval to do so?

No.

Engine cooling control thermostats are reliable enough that most cars arrive at the wrecking yard with the factory originals.

But I suppose that you might as well if you get to 250,000 miles and want to finally change the original timing belt and maybe even the water pump.

if it makes you feel any better, the 1st gen thermostats fail open, so if it does go south the temp gauge sticks at the second needle and not the red one.

I can only assume that a '99 would be the same.

All thermotstats are in the open position when they fail -- that's just how they work. That's why the first sign of thermostat failure is usually the lack of heat from the heater.