Hi Just Bought A '96 108k, Couple Of Questions

Porschefan

Hi guys

I'm the new owner of the classic 1 careful lady owner full Lexus service history, 108K and for only $4750, only downside, its green with gold badges :o

Not my choice of colour but for that price i ain't complaining, seller was a friend of the wife, wanted it to go to a new home as she's leaving the country for a while.

I'm a Brit living & working in South Florida, had a '94 GS a few years ago and was a member of LOC forum UK, so i know you guys are the best.

It has a couple of minor issues:

1. Missed its 105k service (has transmission fluids replaced i believe) anyone know how much this one is? Will a Toyota dealer do it? they never would in the UK

2. Tacho sticks occasionally but a bash on the top of the console usually fixes it (i'm not going to take the binnacle out)

3. Front speakers are V.Crackly, i'm guessing dried and cracked from the heat here. I'm going to replace them myself, from what i've read on here and on Crutchfield they are 5 1/4 inch. I've only had it a couple of days and haven't noticed a component tweeter but i'm guessing there is one near the mirror (it just says "premium sound" not Naka wotsit)

If i replace them, is it best to get a component set and replace tweeter also?, if i got 2-way would i need to disconnect the tweeter and just use the built in one?

Cheers

Porschefan

Hi guys

I'm the new owner of the classic 1 careful lady owner full Lexus service history, 108K and for only $4750, only downside, its green with gold badges :o

Not my choice of colour but for that price i ain't complaining, seller was a friend of the wife, wanted it to go to a new home as she's leaving the country for a while.

I'm a Brit living & working in South Florida, had a '94 GS a few years ago and was a member of LOC forum UK, so i know you guys are the best.

It has a couple of minor issues:

1. Missed its 105k service (has transmission fluids replaced i believe) anyone know how much this one is? Will a Toyota dealer do it? they never would in the UK

2. Tacho sticks occasionally but a bash on the top of the console usually fixes it (i'm not going to take the binnacle out)

3. Front speakers are V.Crackly, i'm guessing dried and cracked from the heat here. I'm going to replace them myself, from what i've read on here and on Crutchfield they are 5 1/4 inch. I've only had it a couple of days and haven't noticed a component tweeter but i'm guessing there is one near the mirror (it just says "premium sound" not Naka wotsit)

If i replace them, is it best to get a component set and replace tweeter also?, if i got 2-way would i need to disconnect the tweeter and just use the built in one?

Cheers

Porschefan

I'm jealous, I would love a green/gold LS.

Welcome to the club :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you got a steal my friend!Congrats!I had Lakeland Toyota do my timing belt service along with the water pump,thermostat,plugs and cam seals which were beginning to leak.Also had both tensioners replace!Had it for a day but gave me a loaner.Using Lexus parts it came to $1390 which I thought was a little steep.I also believe Kendall Toyota in Miami area had done some work for a previous owner

Thanks Guys, so far she's working out great. Bought some replacement Blaupunkt components for the front, and its way past due for a service.

Been getting quotes around $190 for the 105k minor service, but a local independent that has great reviews and only uses genuine parts has quoted me $260 for a full service incl. transmission, diff, and coolant changes. Oh and he reckons on an extra $35 if i want the cabin filter doing too, i guess he must get a discount because i think he gets his parts form Kendall Toyota/Lexus :)

Since i mentioned the Tacho. and gave it a bash its been working ever since :)