Saying Goodbye To My Rx400h

Hi,

I bought my new 2007 AWD RX400h in February of 2007, and have put 21,000 miles on it. I traded out of a 2004 GX470 that I had purchased new as well, and really liked. My primary reasoning for purchasing the 400h at the time was that it seemed to be a more practical and environmentally friendly choice for a daily commute of 50 miles round trip each day to work. I was also very impressed with the technology, and the smoothness of the CVT transmission. Unfortunately, for all the great features the 400h has to offer, I’ve missed many of the features, and build quality of my GX470. The day after I picked up the 400h, we had a foot of snow here. Its shortcomings in snow when compared to the GX became very apparent. Also, I know that many of you here are very impressed with how quiet the 400h cabin is, but I have found it to be an annoyance over the last 13 months of owning it. I’ve changed tires out on the vehicle to try and quiet it down, but I’ve seen little to no improvement. The standard and ML stereo systems in the two vehicles are also worlds apart in my opinion, and the MSRP and negotiated selling prices of the two vehicles are negligible. Anyways, I decided to trade the 400h in yesterday and ordered a new GX470. I know I’ll suffer a mpg hit, and I won’t be driving a vehicle that is as environmentally friendly, but I’ve continued to compare it to the GX over the last year. The pluses and minuses of the two vehicles weigh in favor of the GX for me. I don’t know if there are others out there that have owned both vehicles, but I’d be interested in your comparisons of the two vehicles.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi,

I bought my new 2007 AWD RX400h in February of 2007, and have put 21,000 miles on it. I traded out of a 2004 GX470 that I had purchased new as well, and really liked. My primary reasoning for purchasing the 400h at the time was that it seemed to be a more practical and environmentally friendly choice for a daily commute of 50 miles round trip each day to work. I was also very impressed with the technology, and the smoothness of the CVT transmission. Unfortunately, for all the great features the 400h has to offer, I’ve missed many of the features, and build quality of my GX470. The day after I picked up the 400h, we had a foot of snow here. Its shortcomings in snow when compared to the GX became very apparent. Also, I know that many of you here are very impressed with how quiet the 400h cabin is, but I have found it to be an annoyance over the last 13 months of owning it. I’ve changed tires out on the vehicle to try and quiet it down, but I’ve seen little to no improvement. The standard and ML stereo systems in the two vehicles are also worlds apart in my opinion, and the MSRP and negotiated selling prices of the two vehicles are negligible. Anyways, I decided to trade the 400h in yesterday and ordered a new GX470. I know I’ll suffer a mpg hit, and I won’t be driving a vehicle that is as environmentally friendly, but I’ve continued to compare it to the GX over the last year. The pluses and minuses of the two vehicles weigh in favor of the GX for me. I don’t know if there are others out there that have owned both vehicles, but I’d be interested in your comparisons of the two vehicles.

Thanks,

Jim

I haven't owned GX but had a chance to drive one last week-that friend just purchased. I also got RX350 as a loaner 2 weeks ago and to be honest with you RX400h falls short to the comfort levels in both vehicles. RX350 seems to be less noisy overall-and that has to do with use of CVT. Very smooth acceleration-don't really feel the steps in a gearbox and what's very annoying in 400h when you accelerate fast-the engine is not as loud. I noticed the difference right away and was shocked. When it comes to GX-oh well let's just say those 2 cars are in different leagues in terms of comfort-especially with ability to adjust suspension in GX.

Just my 2 cents.

Compromises, compromises, compromises-it's all I can say and wish they'll make GX hybrid one day. Just like GM did with suburban and yukon.

...and what's very annoying in 400h when you accelerate fast-the engine is not as loud...

Really? That's annoying because the engine was too quiet? Boy, you can be easily annoyed :-). But I have driven the RX350 before I bought the RX400h, and I thought the 350 was a lot slower in acceleration when entering freeway. Plus, I thought the 350 was less spacious than the 400h (but maybe it's just my imagination since they are almost identical).

I have not driven the GX yet, but I think it should be even more comfy and stable since it's a larger vehicle. I just hate the MPG on the GX.

...and what's very annoying in 400h when you accelerate fast-the engine is not as loud...

Really? That's annoying because the engine was too quiet? Boy, you can be easily annoyed :-). But I have driven the RX350 before I bought the RX400h, and I thought the 350 was a lot slower in acceleration when entering freeway. Plus, I thought the 350 was less spacious than the 400h (but maybe it's just my imagination since they are almost identical).

I have not driven the GX yet, but I think it should be even more comfy and stable since it's a larger vehicle. I just hate the MPG on the GX.

I bought my RX400H in 2007 new, I'm loving it.

Acceleration , MPG are great. The only problem is the wind noise on high way , I had to remove the roof rack because my smart dealer could't find out that problem. I'm a happy man now :P

I also got RX350 as a loaner 2 weeks ago and to be honest with you RX400h falls short to the comfort levels in both vehicles. RX350 seems to be less noisy overall-and that has to do with use of CVT. Very smooth acceleration-don't really feel the steps in a gearbox and what's very annoying in 400h when you accelerate fast-the engine is not as loud.

I think you've got the RXs reversed! The RX350 doesn't have a CVT transmission (I believe), so the RX400h is smoother under most conditions.

An yes, a bigger, heavier vehicle may certainly have more sound deadening and a softer suspension; I understand that the new Suburbans are very quiet, but at 6600 lbs and 12 MPG, they'd better be!

Actually, the LS600h is probably even more luxurious than any GX, but traction in snow is not its strong point. I does average 20 MPG, though.

I also got RX350 as a loaner 2 weeks ago and to be honest with you RX400h falls short to the comfort levels in both vehicles. RX350 seems to be less noisy overall-and that has to do with use of CVT. Very smooth acceleration-don't really feel the steps in a gearbox and what's very annoying in 400h when you accelerate fast-the engine is not as loud.

I think you've got the RXs reversed! The RX350 doesn't have a CVT transmission (I believe), so the RX400h is smoother under most conditions.

An yes, a bigger, heavier vehicle may certainly have more sound deadening and a softer suspension; I understand that the new Suburbans are very quiet, but at 6600 lbs and 12 MPG, they'd better be!

Actually, the LS600h is probably even more luxurious than any GX, but traction in snow is not its strong point. I does average 20 MPG, though.

Correct- and I didn't. Because of CVT in RX400h car is so loud and annoying when accelerating-doesn't happen in RX350 and we all know it's the way CVT works. As far as being smooth- they're almost equal -didn't really feel the step switching in 350-I was really amazed.

To do the simple test-drive RX350 from 0 to 80mph with full acceleration, and do the same in RX400-that's what I did and based my opinion on. Since I do accelerate a lot-living and driving in NYC-that was first thing to look after.

For ilovelexus2007-RX350m is more spacious because has no batteries under the back seats. And car is quiet indeed but not when you accelerate fast or brake-do you really enjoy that whistling noise? And I'll agree-you get more torque from RX400 and feeling of faster acceleration-not sure what the numbers are for both cars.

I certainly agree that if you are the type who likes to drive very aggressively, even in a luxury vehicle, then the RX400h is louder than a non-hybrid under those conditions. For my driving habits with a 4700 lb SUV, flooring the gas pedal is left for very few occasions and when I do, the acceleration is very brief, minimizing any irritation that my passengers may experience.

Of course, an RX350 that is frequently driven aggressively will average 12-14 MPG - not something I would like to experience ever again. Even my Corvette gets better mileage during agressive driving!

I certainly agree that if you are the type who likes to drive very aggressively, even in a luxury vehicle, then the RX400h is louder than a non-hybrid under those conditions. For my driving habits with a 4700 lb SUV, flooring the gas pedal is left for very few occasions and when I do, the acceleration is very brief, minimizing any irritation that my passengers may experience.

Of course, an RX350 that is frequently driven aggressively will average 12-14 MPG - not something I would like to experience ever again. Even my Corvette gets better mileage during agressive driving!

;) Not very aggressive but quick in certain situations-it's New York and it's impossible to be passive.

But getting back to loudness of RX400-one other aspect of it is that when the car is driven with combustion engine off and while accelerating one gets on-our perception is totally different as if we had engine on before accelerating. Another words our ears will detect and let us know about much greater sound level difference. Constantly running engine will create "white noise" effect" and changing speed will only give us partial increase of what it would be without engine on before.

Next time I get RX350 I'll use SL meter to check sound levels while driving, accelerating, idling and braking to compare those in RX400 and get final word on it-my take is that even RX400 seems to be more annoying with acceleration actual numbers might be the same or very close.

• 2 weeks later...

We have them both and both are great rigs.

But to pick one would be hard. The RX is nice around the city for short hauls with better mpg.

The GX is the way to go for snow, rough roads, long hauls and increase loads.

We drive the GX through a lot of snow this year and all I needed was good snow tires.

Anyway you did not make a bad choice just one that fits your need better.

If toyota offerd a a diesel GX in this country it would now be in my driveway!

I got a loaner RX 350 and I was really glad to get my 400h back. On the freeways here in L.A. the acceleration is amazing with the 400h and the shifting, albeit smooth on the RX350 isn't like the CVT at all. I am driving an ES350 right now while they fix the key problem that I have mentioned on a previous post. It too is not as nice as the 400h but I have to admit, the cornering on the ES350 is way better than my 400h...well, the 400h IS an SUV so I guess that is par for the course. I like the MPGs too much to care about any of the other Lexus cars mentioned. Gas is already $4. here in L.A and I gas up twice a month. That keeps me in my 400h, and smiling. Noisy? Hmm, it's my first luxury car so I guess most of you are definitely spoiled compared to little ol' me. I am really happy with this great car. It is amazing to me how I can feel the shift points in the RX 350 and this ES 350. I guess I too am becoming spoiled now that I have my 400h! I love not having that little hesitation or down shifting feel and the fact that in the rush hour traffic I am in silent,electric mode for many miles as I watch the MPGs go up...up,up...that too makes me really happy..To each his own. I went from gassing up once a week to every other week. I hate the gas station, always have , so that too makes a difference to me. Warmly, Rey in sunny...and trafficy L.A.

Did you notice any "transmission flare" with the ES? That's the primary reason I didn't get one.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have enjoyed driving the ES350 but it's really not as nice as my 400h and I'm picking it up this morning. I don't know if you saw my previous post about the problem I had with the keys and the fact that they didn't activate the doors and when I pulled out the key from the ignition the car still read the key as being in. Anyway, I'll find out what that was soon. As I have already said, the 400h to me is very different than the RX350 that I have had as a loaner twice. I find that the 400h feels much better and it feels much faster and a lot more responsive at highway speeds...even much better than the ES350. But as I also said, the cornering on the ES is so much better...I will miss that. I have a friend with an Infinity FX and it too handles better than my 400h but I have to be honest, you feel EVERY pebble on the road! It's a rough ride, reminds me of my Radio Flyer that I had as a kid! To each his own. He wanted the sportier SUV but now with gas as expensive as it is, he's getting rid of it. He loves my 400h so maybe he'll join the club. Warmly, Rey

post-26996-1207749891_thumb.jpg

OK, I just got my 400h back after driving the 2008 ES350 for a couple of days. I liked it but was so glad to get my 400h back. Neither the RX350 nor the ES are as nice. The RX350 tranny is nothing compared to the CVT of the 400h. I did enjoy the cornering of the ES though, a lot...it was great. I also loved the keyless entry and push button start. I have NO idea why they didn't include that in or RXes! I also liked that they got rid of the "I agree" part of the GPS and now I hate that I have to keep agreeing...I'm an agreeable person but every time? Sheeesh! The seats were nicer on the ES as well. But the acceleration on the freeway with my 400h is better than the RX350 and the ES350! I also got stuck in a lot of L.A. traffic as I got closer to home and it reminded me as to why I love the hybrid so much....it was all electric on a good part of the slow,stop and go of the freeway drive. I mean, I do wish that I could open 'er up more often but that's just not an opportunity that happens often out here. I do get to push it over 100MPH on the occasional wild Sunday morning when I drive a couple of towns away but on the way back....oh, boy....stop and go, an hour to go twenty miles is common and worse on week days...which is why I only take freeways on week ends out here. OK, that's my take on things. I haven't seen any pluses for the RX 350 except the wood trim...but as I said, I found a steering wheel on eBay and that solved that irritation/omission. Take care all....Rey in traffic town USA...L.A.

OK, I just got my 400h back after driving the 2008 ES350 for a couple of days. I liked it but was so glad to get my 400h back. Neither the RX350 nor the ES are as nice. The RX350 tranny is nothing compared to the CVT of the 400h. I did enjoy the cornering of the ES though, a lot...it was great. I also loved the keyless entry and push button start. I have NO idea why they didn't include that in or RXes! I also liked that they got rid of the "I agree" part of the GPS and now I hate that I have to keep agreeing...I'm an agreeable person but every time? Sheeesh! The seats were nicer on the ES as well. But the acceleration on the freeway with my 400h is better than the RX350 and the ES350! I also got stuck in a lot of L.A. traffic as I got closer to home and it reminded me as to why I love the hybrid so much....it was all electric on a good part of the slow,stop and go of the freeway drive. I mean, I do wish that I could open 'er up more often but that's just not an opportunity that happens often out here. I do get to push it over 100MPH on the occasional wild Sunday morning when I drive a couple of towns away but on the way back....oh, boy....stop and go, an hour to go twenty miles is common and worse on week days...which is why I only take freeways on week ends out here. OK, that's my take on things. I haven't seen any pluses for the RX 350 except the wood trim...but as I said, I found a steering wheel on eBay and that solved that irritation/omission. Take care all....Rey in traffic town USA...L.A.

RXREY, what service did you get done for your RX that they give you a loaner for several days? I had an oil change last week and they only gave me a loaner for 2 hours for grocery shopping. They said they usually don't give out loaner for oil change unless you do a service that more than 5 hours or $500 or more. Stingy or normal?

I just had a 30,000 mile service that the dealer claims takes half a day, so they did give me a loaner RX 350 with only 6000 miles and nav. Since i declined the front end alignment (new tires coming soon) and brake fluid change, i saved 300.00 and brought the service cost to 240.00 which was oil, lube, filter, an expensive cabin filter and a new engine air filter. They were the ones that reccomended a loaner instead of waiting for the service at the dealer.