Cabin Filter Was Filthy

Yes, it was time to check out that cabin filter. Apparently, the dealership had mis-installed one of the quarter-turn glovebox travel-limiting pins, making it extremely hard for me to twist, but it weren't for that, removal and installation would've been a 3 minute job. I've attached a picture of what the old one looked like. I guess 15,000 miles is the LONGEST I will ever wait before changing the new one!

Oh, the engine intake filter was also dirty, but not nearly as much as was the cabin filter.

Dave

post-6874-1206251599_thumb.jpg

I suspect that the longevity of cabin air filter is related to climate. Mine was merely dusty at 10,000 miles, but I live in a Arizona which is obviously quite dry.

Tom

thats not too bad just changed my moms cabin filter on her RX and i looked like i scooped a pile of dirt off a forest floor.

How many miles has the filter seen?

I suspect that the longevity of cabin air filter is related to climate. Mine was merely dusty at 10,000 miles, but I live in a Arizona which is obviously quite dry.

I would expect that dry weather would allow more dust and dirt to fly around and end up in the filter. It is relatively dry here in San Diego, but when it does rain, airborn dust and other particulates are temporaily vanquished.

Yes, it was time to check out that cabin filter. Apparently, the dealership had mis-installed one of the quarter-turn glovebox travel-limiting pins, making it extremely hard for me to twist, but it weren't for that, removal and installation would've been a 3 minute job. I've attached a picture of what the old one looked like. I guess 15,000 miles is the LONGEST I will ever wait before changing the new one!

Oh, the engine intake filter was also dirty, but not nearly as much as was the cabin filter.

Dave

I personally have made it a practice to clean/replace the cabin air filter every 5,000 miles regardless of dealer/service locations functions at that time. I find checking and cleaning is pretty simple for the benefits gained. I keep a new one on hand in case the installed one is too dirty. If it is a 'little grey', that's okay after using vacuum cleaner and compressed air!

That's a good idea, although from what I recall, that small filter is certainly not inexpensive. This was the first time I changed it, myself and it was a lesson well learned! I will check the filter more often.

After reading this topic, I decided to check the cabin air filter in my RX350 - now at 10K miles. It was not horrible but was plenty dirty and so was replaced. It will be done every 10K miles from now on.

At least the filter is doing its job by getting dirty so it can be viewed as a plus. Instead of running around your cabin area and getting into everyone's lungs, the gunk is getting caught up in the filter.

I may try the suggestion on another post of buying a HVAC filter from Lowe's or Home Depot and cutting it to size. A bit of duct tape may be needed to seal the edges. If a large enough filter is purchased then several cut-outs can be made for even greater economy. It appears that the thickness of the filter will be the deciding factor. Taking in the old stock filter to compare is recommended.

The little locking tabs on the sides of the glove box door were hard to turn the first time and pliers had to be used. Maybe they will loosen up the more they are used.

For those of you who haven't done it before. There are two black plastic tabs that hold the glove box from opening too far that need to be rotated a quarter turn toward the passenger and then backed out a bit - a screwdriver may be needed to slide the tabs toward the center of the glove box. The glove box then drops down and a white drawer can be seen behind the glove box. It just pulls out to reveal the filter. The filter pops out and the new one pops in but look for the "UP" indicator on the new filter and the drawer. Replacement of the whole assembly is the opposite of removal. At least that is the procedure for the 08 RX350.

That's a good idea, although from what I recall, that small filter is certainly not inexpensive. This was the first time I changed it, myself and it was a lesson well learned! I will check the filter more often.

I failed to make another suggestion... I looked at the MAINT option on my display and found where to 'update' Cabin Air Filter maintenance and have set it to 5,000 miles and/or 6 months. This will cause you to get a message when that distance/time approaches! :rolleyes: Nice to have a little 'support' for the maintenance effort!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
After reading this topic, I decided to check the cabin air filter in my RX350 - now at 10K miles. It was not horrible but was plenty dirty and so was replaced. It will be done every 10K miles from now on.

At least the filter is doing its job by getting dirty so it can be viewed as a plus. Instead of running around your cabin area and getting into everyone's lungs, the gunk is getting caught up in the filter.

I may try the suggestion on another post of buying a HVAC filter from Lowe's or Home Depot and cutting it to size. A bit of duct tape may be needed to seal the edges. If a large enough filter is purchased then several cut-outs can be made for even greater economy. It appears that the thickness of the filter will be the deciding factor. Taking in the old stock filter to compare is recommended.

The little locking tabs on the sides of the glove box door were hard to turn the first time and pliers had to be used. Maybe they will loosen up the more they are used.

For those of you who haven't done it before. There are two black plastic tabs that hold the glove box from opening too far that need to be rotated a quarter turn toward the passenger and then backed out a bit - a screwdriver may be needed to slide the tabs toward the center of the glove box. The glove box then drops down and a white drawer can be seen behind the glove box. It just pulls out to reveal the filter. The filter pops out and the new one pops in but look for the "UP" indicator on the new filter and the drawer. Replacement of the whole assembly is the opposite of removal. At least that is the procedure for the 08 RX350.

Thanks for the great descrfiption on how to remove the GB... One of the pastic screws is unmovable by hand and was afraid to use pliers.. guess that's next.. thanks again!

The fasteners do come out pretty easily with flat-nose pliers. If you lube them with silicone grease they will come out by hand the next time.

Tom

By the way, I was at Walmart the other day and noticed a new line of cabin filters that contain "odor-absorbing baking soda" . There was one listed for the RX400h so I opened the box and looked at it. Around the edge was a black foam strip that had shed small fragments into the clear plastic bag into which it was enclosed. When I saw that, I put the whole thing back on the shelf. It's price was about $17, but until something better comes along, I'll stick with the Lexus filter.

I use a K&N drop-in and I clean and oil it about every 10k its never really that dirty at that point.

Are you talking engine air filter or cabin air filter here?

Tom

I wash mine. Take them out clean with a vacuum and then wash with simple green. Rinse, let dry. Mine is 10years old on my RX and is still functioning.

I use a K&N drop-in and I clean and oil it about every 10k its never really that dirty at that point.

Are you talking engine air filter or cabin air filter here?

Tom

Im pretty sure they do not make a cabin air filter.

I wash mine. Take them out clean with a vacuum and then wash with simple green. Rinse, let dry. Mine is 10years old on my RX and is still functioning.

Are you sure there is no paper in it? Most disposable filters cannot be washed, as the paper media would break down. My cabin filter looks somewhat like certain home filters. I might vacuum one once, but would never think to wash it. Maybe you're on to something!

• 3 months later...

Help Please!!

Is the cabin filter the same thing as the Airconditioner filter the dealer wants to change for $80. Any help would be great.

Thanks. Have a great weekend.

The OEM cabin air filter is definitely paper and does not wash well. There are several aftermarket brands, none of which I have seen in person, namely:

Beck/Arnley

WIX

Fram

ATP

AC/Delco

Bosch

Tom

I believe that it IS the same. I suggest you replace it and the intake filter, yourself.

Dave

Where do I buy the cabin filter and intake filter? Where do I find the intake filter on the actaul car? thanks.

I buy mine from the dealer, since the aftermarket ones I examined were very lacking, qualitywise.

The front of your RX has a cold air intake slot built-in from the factory. That slot allows cold outside air to be ingested by the engine's intake - a definite power advantage, since colder air is more dense, which means more air molecules can be crammed into the combustion chamber. When you open your hood, you'll see where this cold air path leads - straight to the filter. It is very easy to change. I'll be changing mine, shortly and can take a picture or two.

dave

The cabin air filter is located behind the glove box. Remove the plastic stops which allows the glove box door to fully drop, providing access. I bought the filter at the local NAPA auto parts store. Cheaper than Lexus or Toyota. Could see no difference in quality from the O.E.M.