Tokico Hp Shocks & Eibach Springs

Bandit

:huh:

I just purchased a set of Tokico HP Shocks and Eibach Springs for my 93' SC400.

Is there a DIY file somewhere that explains how to change the shocks?

Or is this something that I am better off letting a Mechanic do?

Thanks for any Help!

well, I wouldn't say it's as easy as replacing the shocks and Coilover on a Honda. You will need to spend some time, but you don't exactly have to spend money for a mechanic. I say, if you have the money, and don't care about the money, then spend it. Otherwise DIY is worth the experience.

I don't see any scripts written about it. If you want to tackle it, AWJ, myself and many others on the SC forum will be able to guide you through the process: several of us have the repair manuals at home.

I just received a Quote from a shop to replace my shocks and it was $320.00 (Estimate).

The mechanic said it would take approximately 3 hours for each front and 1-1/2 hours for each rear plus alignment. Does this sound excessive?

I just talked to another mechanic that will do it for $40.00 per corner or $160.00. I guess that is where I'll take it.

If there are any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks! :whistles:

Listed book times for spring replacement are as such:

Front Both Sides Without Alignment - Standard 5.2 Warranty 3.5

Rear Both Sides - Standard 2.9 Warranty 2.1

Personally to me that seems really high, but if you haven't done it before that could be about right. If you're going to attempt to do it yourself, you're going to need a spring compressor to put the spring/strut assembly back in. You can usually rent those from places like Autozone, for so much per day. It's actually pretty cheap to do it this way. If you have someone to help you it will go a lot faster, personally I'd make a day of it with a few friends, sit in the garage, get dirty, and drink a few beers. Realistically if you do know what you're doing, You could do the fronts in about an hour with a friend, and the rears in about 40 minutes.

<_<

I've given in and am having a local shop change out the Shocks and Springs. He quoted me $40.00 per corner. I am also having him change out my Brake Lines to Goodrich Stainless Steel Lines.

He says he will have it done tomorrow. I'll update the changes when I get the car back.

B)

:lol: alright. That's probably a good idea, I don't think my directions would've helped much. btw, those brake lines are a great upgrade, I always use them on every car I own. I personally think they add a lot of character and control to the brakes.

post-3-1070477110.gif

Bandit,

I'm threaded in on this one now, if you have costs and subjective details about the handling after having the springs and shocks installed, "lemme have it!" :chairshot:

Thanks

Tom

(kjtar)

Hereford, AZ

:D :D :D

I picked up the car yesterday and first impressions is that the suspension is slightly firmer, when hitting uneven pavement, the tires seem to stay in contact with the road surface alot more. When I came up on a large pot hole, (I knew it was there, but forgot), I gritted my teeth, and was amazed, I felt nothing.

We're having some wet weather, so I'm not able to get too agressive in the twisties, but I'll update that at a later date.

Took some measurements before and after and the overall stance is dropped about 1/2". Not the 1" that Eibach advertised. Maybe the suspension will settle a little.

After the installation, my mechanic charge $200.00 for installation, $40.00 more than the original estimate. He stated that the fronts were a little more difficult that he had anticipated. I said, "No Problem!". Still cheaper than the $320.00 quoted by another shop.

He didn't install the SS Brake Lines. I'll start another Thread on this one!

:cheers:

Good to hear Bandit, those Tokico's are really the way to go. They are great absorbers. Yes your suspension will settle. You'll notice it start to drop more and more as you drive it. Kind of interesting to watch actually. :lol: I'm glad to hear you enjoy the upgrade. That's always good to hear.