I Think My Motor Mounts Are Bad... Vibration When Stopped

90LS400Lexus

Some of you know I had a thread here about a vibration that could really be felt between 35-50 mph. I took it to a local Lexus dealer and they dismissed it as it being the tires. I never thought so, but I had hoped this was it. I have not changed the tires, because they said the tread was still good and I should simply wear then out first- which I have been doing. After today, I am more convinced that its the motor mounts causing the vibrations. It was cold this AM and I had that little PS pump noise, so I "raced" the engine a little, up to about 2500 rpms a few times. I had my hand on the steering wheel and felt the same vibration at certain RPMs that I have been feeling on the road between 35-50 mph on smooth roads. With this said, does it sound like I indeed have worn motor mounts? The car has 209K (its a 91' LS) and I am sure they are original. Also when idling, I can feel a little engine vibration through the steering wheel and if I have the RF window down a little, it will rattle a little. This indicates to me that the mounts are worn. When I asked one of the Lexus techs this, he said that the mounts rarely go bad because they are liquid filled. From what I have heard from others with bad mounts, this makes no difference.

Now I am wondering.... could it also be the transmission mount rather than the engine mount, even if I am feeling it through the steering wheel when racing the engine? I am thinking motor mount, but not sure if a bad tranny mount would also allow vibration through the steering wheel during engine speed changes when in park. ??

If it is the engine mounts, about how much $$$ is this going to set me back? I also have a local independent repair shop with reasonable rates, but I prefer to have this done at perhaps the local Toyota dealer instead if its not a labor intense job. I am thinking that the motor mounts are costly from the dealer. I wonder if there is a good aftermarket set available at a good price? I want to get this fixed ASAP, as the vibration is driving me insane on this otherwise ultra smooth car.

Whats the best way to check the mounts for excessive wear?

Thanks guys!

Some of you know I had a thread here about a vibration that could really be felt between 35-50 mph. I took it to a local Lexus dealer and they dismissed it as it being the tires. I never thought so, but I had hoped this was it. I have not changed the tires, because they said the tread was still good and I should simply wear then out first- which I have been doing. After today, I am more convinced that its the motor mounts causing the vibrations. It was cold this AM and I had that little PS pump noise, so I "raced" the engine a little, up to about 2500 rpms a few times. I had my hand on the steering wheel and felt the same vibration at certain RPMs that I have been feeling on the road between 35-50 mph on smooth roads. With this said, does it sound like I indeed have worn motor mounts? The car has 209K (its a 91' LS) and I am sure they are original. Also when idling, I can feel a little engine vibration through the steering wheel and if I have the RF window down a little, it will rattle a little. This indicates to me that the mounts are worn. When I asked one of the Lexus techs this, he said that the mounts rarely go bad because they are liquid filled. From what I have heard from others with bad mounts, this makes no difference.

Now I am wondering.... could it also be the transmission mount rather than the engine mount, even if I am feeling it through the steering wheel when racing the engine? I am thinking motor mount, but not sure if a bad tranny mount would also allow vibration through the steering wheel during engine speed changes when in park. ??

If it is the engine mounts, about how much $$$ is this going to set me back? I also have a local independent repair shop with reasonable rates, but I prefer to have this done at perhaps the local Toyota dealer instead if its not a labor intense job. I am thinking that the motor mounts are costly from the dealer. I wonder if there is a good aftermarket set available at a good price? I want to get this fixed ASAP, as the vibration is driving me insane on this otherwise ultra smooth car.

Thanks guys!

The Lexus tech does not know what he is talking about. These mounts typically shear the rubber part. In hindsight, my failing motor mounts made my hood flutter. You could see it easily from the drivers seat. If your mounts are original, they are surely shot by 209k. I changed mine out at about 150m. The tranny mount is an easy DIY, the motor mounts a bit more work. Plenty of writeups about this procedure, including mine.

There is only original Toyota mounts available from the Lexus dealer. I haven't seen any aftermarket and wouldn't use any either. You do not want to repeat this repair. The parts were not cheap but they are typical Toyota beefy high quality. This is a straightforward repair for a good independent. When I got a bid from my guy, it was extremely reasonable for the amount of work that I did.

You will be amazed at the ride quality improvement from good motor mounts.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Thanks for the replies. I will change the tranny mount first. I was just wondering if a bad tranny mount would cause steering wheel vibrations, even when the car was running in park. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Thanks for the replies. I will change the tranny mount first. I was just wondering if a bad tranny mount would cause steering wheel vibrations, even when the car was running in park. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

I would guess that a failed/failing tranny mount would show up as a jerk when shifting from P to D or D to R, etc. My old tranny mount was maybe squished a little but for far from failing.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Thanks. No jerking when shifting... its actually smooth. Knowing my luck, its not going to be the cheap and easy way out. For me, its always the $$$ stuff.. no matter what car I have. <_< Thanks again.

I would guess that a failed/failing tranny mount would show up as a jerk when shifting from P to D or D to R, etc. My old tranny mount was maybe squished a little but for far from failing.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Thanks. Will do. Actually, while you are on a roll, wanna change the ones on my car too? :P

Hi, looks like its your motor mounts. I have to replace mine in a few days. I did my tran mount and it reduced the vibration exactly 1/3. So you should order all 3 and replace. Get oem only.

I was quoted these prices for parts I need from a Lexus parts site here on the net. Supposedly genuine Lexus/Toyota parts...

Engine mounts -$182.98 a pair

Transmission mount- $58.68

Coolant level sensor -$97.28

Shipping -$18.00

Sound good or can I do better elsewhere? I know I can do better on the coolant level sensor, because I was quoted a lower price before from somewhere. Something like $78. ?

Thanks.

try newlexusparts.com they are in texas. Fast UPS. Free shipping over $100 and best prices i can find. get the item numbers. makes it a lot easier. tranny mount is $2 more but you get free shipping. check it out.

Thanks! I sent them a price quote request for the parts I need.

The other place I had checked out was a place called "Factory Lexus parts" that wanted:

$90 each on the engine mounts

$58 on the trans mount

$12 to $15 for shipping

Thanks guys!

The Lexus tech does not know what he is talking about. These mounts typically shear the rubber part. In hindsight, my failing motor mounts made my hood flutter. You could see it easily from the drivers seat. If your mounts are original, they are surely shot by 209k. I changed mine out at about 150m. The tranny mount is an easy DIY, the motor mounts a bit more work. Plenty of writeups about this procedure, including mine.

There is only original Toyota mounts available from the Lexus dealer. I haven't seen any aftermarket and wouldn't use any either. You do not want to repeat this repair. The parts were not cheap but they are typical Toyota beefy high quality. This is a straightforward repair for a good independent. When I got a bid from my guy, it was extremely reasonable for the amount of work that I did.

You will be amazed at the ride quality improvement from good motor mounts.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Hello, Thanks for the info, where are the writeups and are there any diagrams I can get a hold of for my mechanic.

Thanks... is this the thread you are referring to?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=26981&hl=

Looks like its something I would not want to tackle myself, but I do appreciate the heads up... it was enough to let me know I did not want to do it. :)

I do all of my own car work, all of the stuff I can reasonably do, and I opted to have a mechanic do my mounts for me. $475 for both engine mounts all told, and the difference is night and day. I just got it back and it drives like a new car now.

for me it came down to not being responsible for all those unplugged hoses

I do all of my own car work, all of the stuff I can reasonably do, and I opted to have a mechanic do my mounts for me. $475 for both engine mounts all told, and the difference is night and day. I just got it back and it drives like a new car now.

for me it came down to not being responsible for all those unplugged hoses

Sounds terrific! From what all I have heard about he renowned smoothness I have heard from the mount changeouts on the LS400s, I cannot wait to get mine changed. I am going to check with my local Lexus dealer to get a quote... believe it or not, their priced are quite reasonable. If they are too expensive, I will check with my friends father that is a certified Toyota mechanic, but I am not sure if he knows anything about older LS400s.

It is incredible what the Tech told you. My service Rep at Lexus told me they usually go after 100 K due to the Heat. Here in Puerto Rico heat is a big factor. I changed all 3 and the Tranny was in the verge of falling in pieces and one of the motor ones, they were realllllllly bad. Mine only had a 100k I cannot imagine what yours would look like after 200k. Try www.irontoad.com I feel they are charging too much for the tranny mount in your case mine was a lot cheaper than what they quoted unless prices went up. Get a quote it will not cost you nothing but time. Now I have vibration because of the tires but just a bit. Maybe I should have rotated the tires as the manual said lol, 7500 miles.

CPR

I know. It was actually the service dept guy on the phone, but you would think he would know as well. When I took the car in to have it checked, I specificially told them what it was doing and was told it could possibly be the engine or transmission mounts and to check them. 90 minutes later, they told me it was the tires. They said for me to "wear out" the tires then get new ones to see if the vibration stopped. If not, come back. :rolleyes: I thought that may be so until I started feeling the vibration through the steering wheel when I had to race the engine a little one morning in park and then when I started feeling it through the gearshift when idling and in park. My problem is I do not know if its the engine mounts, tranny mount or both causing it. I was wondering if a bad tranny mount alone would cause vibration through the steering wheel when in park, or if its more likely the engine mounts. :huh: I do not have money to throw around, so would like to know if it was only one or the other, without having to replace them all. It has 209K and I have no idea if any of them have been changed before. If not, they probably all need replaced.

It is incredible what the Tech told you. My service Rep at Lexus told me they usually go after 100 K due to the Heat. Here in Puerto Rico heat is a big factor. I changed all 3 and the Tranny was in the verge of falling in pieces and one of the motor ones, they were realllllllly bad. Mine only had a 100k I cannot imagine what yours would look like after 200k. Try www.irontoad.com I feel they are charging too much for the tranny mount in your case mine was a lot cheaper than what they quoted unless prices went up. Get a quote it will not cost you nothing but time. Now I have vibration because of the tires but just a bit. Maybe I should have rotated the tires as the manual said lol, 7500 miles.

CPR

• 4 months later...

The other place I had checked out was a place called "Factory Lexus parts" that wanted:

$58 on the trans mount

$12 to $15 for shipping

Hello how is going i have the same problem and i had my mounts replace BOTH tranny and motor i still have a the heavy vibrations. SO its not that i wouldnt waste your time on that. Cause if you notice that the vibration on begins when the car idle is below a certain level. take a close look at that. Cause min start to virbate at red lights when i the speed is all the way down and the idle level gets low. As long as the car ilde is a little high the vibration completely stops.

right now the only problem i have with my car is that it JERKS when you shift from D R N L and also the Gear Shifter gets jammed !

$58 on the trans mount

$12 to $15 for shipping

Hello how is going i have the same problem and i had my mounts replace BOTH tranny and motor i still have a the heavy vibrations. SO its not that i wouldnt waste your time on that. Cause if you notice that the vibration on begins when the car idle is below a certain level. take a close look at that. Cause min start to virbate at red lights when i the speed is all the way down and the idle level gets low. As long as the car ilde is a little high the vibration completely stops.

right now the only problem i have with my car is that it JERKS when you shift from D R N L and also the Gear Shifter gets jammed !

You have a transmission problem. If it is doing that kind of vibration at idle and jerks getting in gear and the shifter is jamming I believe you have problems with the bands/clutches inside the tranny. I would be very nervous if I were you because I hear that these transmissions are VERY expensive to replace. Good luck!

Check your fluid level when the car is hot and see if it is nice and bright and clear. If it is foamy or very brown you have got to get the transmission serviced asap.