99 Rx300 Sludge? Pics

TampRX300

Just bought it, two days ago.... Is that normal? I can't even see the internals from that point of view. I called the dealer and they are willing to let me change it for another vehicle if I really don't want it. By the looks of that, I don't even know how the hell the car is still running.

It's a 99 with 96K miles and 1 owner, local. It also has the problem with not engaging into OD and the trac off light comes on. Other than that, it's a beautiful car. I really think that thing is sludge, but I don't know for sure. Going to dealer tomorrow at 10 Am, might go with a 2004 Jag S-type. I need a nice car for DD, don't wanna go the hoop-d way...

Just bought it, two days ago.... Is that normal? I can't even see the internals from that point of view. I called the dealer and they are willing to let me change it for another vehicle if I really don't want it. By the looks of that, I don't even know how the hell the car is still running.

It's a 99 with 96K miles and 1 owner, local. It also has the problem with not engaging into OD and the trac off light comes on. Other than that, it's a beautiful car. I really think that thing is sludge, but I don't know for sure. Going to dealer tomorrow at 10 Am, might go with a 2004 Jag S-type. I need a nice car for DD, don't wanna go the hoop-d way...

Hi from Roger-

I have worked on my daughter-in-laws 99 Rx300 (at 97k to replace rear main seal) and it looked like that. I was a little agast because I am used to taking very good care of my vehicles. I can not say that you don't have sludge but hers didn't have sludge and I believe it is simply a lot of varnish from the HIGH temp. that the crankcase on those engines run. They do run high temp.. (the crankcase) Hers has 120k on it now and never missed a beat. I don't like to see that kind of varnish in the interior of an engine but my guess is most of those engines do. I don't think it will hurt anything. If in doubt pull the front valve cover, you'll know for sure if it has sludge. Hope this helps. Roger

The rx300's are notorious sludge monsters. Do an internet search as Toyota has replaced many many engines. The PCV system in that engine is too small. I would take it back if they offered. They know the sludge issue. Ask the dealer about the engine replacement program for those engines.

Check here: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/17/oil-slu...ss-action-suit/

Oil sludging atonement: Toyota settles class-action suit

Posted Jan 17th 2007 9:04AM by Eric Bryant

Filed under: Maintenance, Coupes, Minivans/MPVs, Sedans/Saloons, SUVs, Government/Legal, Recalls/TSBs, Crossovers/CUVs, Toyota

If you're the owner of certain Toyota products built with the 2.2L I4 or 3.0L V6 between 1997 and 2002, you may soon be receiving notification from the automaker concerning its recent settlement in a class-action lawsuit. Filed as the result of damage caused by sludged oil (which ultimately can destroy an engine by clogging lubrication passages), the suit claimed that affected customers suffered from failures despite following Toyota's maintenance recommendations. As a result, Toyota will be extending the warranty of up to 7.5 million vehicles to 8 years and 120 days from the original purchase date (without regard for mileage), and will pay for damage incurred as a result of oil sludge - also referred to as oil gel.

In 2002, Toyota offered an extended warranty to some owners who were affected by the sludging problem, but many customers claim to have been accused of improper maintenance and were forced to pay for their own repairs.

Sludging is the result of several factors, some of which included longer drain intervals, tighter engine tolerances, and the typically higher operating temperatures of new engines. Several other manufacturers have also faced allegations of oil sludging problems and have responded in a variety of ways.

As a consumer, the best defensive measure is, of course, a regular oil change (following the "severe service" schedule if required) with a name-brand oil that meets the manufacturer's recommendations for viscosity and API service rating. Some manufacturers recommend different viscosities for operation in extremely hot or cold climates; as always, the owner's manual is an outstanding source of information on matters like these.

[source: Consumer Affairs; a hat tip to AB readers Drew and Ryan

Maybe so, maybe not! B)<_< Seriously though, how thick is that brown stuff? If it is a film then I wouldn't worry about it. If it has any depth then you might have problems. I liken this to pouring oil in a cast iron skillet and turning the heat on to 300 degrees. Eventually you will have some carbon buildup that looks like that but won't have any real substance to it. It will be more of a film than a true build up. If you can poke your finger into the hole and leave an indentation, then I would suspect that you have a sludge problem.

Gary

To me, you cannot say you have sludge based on the fill cap. My fill cap has looked like that for about 75K miles. The fill area is not in the oil area, only splash and that is normal.Again this area does not get alot of oil and this picture is normal.

To close, your oil fill area is NORMAL and not integral to oil sludge. You either need to pull a UOa (better method) or pull the valve covers.