"airbag" Warning Light Will Not Illuminate

90LS400Lexus

When I turn on the ignition on my car, (90 LS400) I have noticed that the "airbag" light is not illuminating. Also, my "door open" light is not working. All other warning lights, cluster lights and "LCD" work perfectly. If it was a bad fuse, would this keep the airbag light from illuminating? Has anyone else had this problem? Any information appreciated.

Usually when anyother light on the dash doesn't light it sets off the cel.

If not then don;t worry .

You probably need to jsut change the bulb in there.

It is not a fuse as the cluster powers all the lights itself at start up for this very check.

Usually when anyother light on the dash doesn't light it sets off the cel.

If not then don;t worry .

You probably need to jsut change the bulb in there.

It is not a fuse as the cluster powers all the lights itself at start up for this very check.

Thanks. I was actually hoping that it was anything except the actual bulb, as I would hate to have to remove that entire cluster just to replace one bulb. I guess that would be very expensive. It also seems like this is a rare problem, as I have not read any other posts on this forum, or the other Lexus forums about a airbag light not illuminating. They only ones I see are ones talking about an airbag light that will not go off. It seems like one of the other warning lights that tend to be illuminated longer would go out before this one. According to the owners manual, it is only supposed to stay on for 6-seconds each time the car is switched on. Seems like it should last a lot longer than that.

So, if the "airbag" fuse was bad, then the light should still illuminate? Thanks again.

Your door open bulb not coming on may be just a dirty door courtesy switch. Send me your email addy to obergc@cox.net and I will send you a procedure for cleaning your switches, no need to replace it. When your door is standing open, just move the door open switch around (it is covered by a rubber boot on the door pillar) and see if the door open light flickers off and on. A common problem and the switch can cause a host of other problems also but not the airbag light problem. Let me know if you want it.

Curt

Your door open bulb not coming on may be just a dirty door courtesy switch. Send me your email addy to obergc@cox.net and I will send you a procedure for cleaning your switches, no need to replace it. When your door is standing open, just move the door open switch around (it is covered by a rubber boot on the door pillar) and see if the door open light flickers off and on. A common problem and the switch can cause a host of other problems also but not the airbag light problem. Let me know if you want it.

Curt

Thanks for the information and the offer of the help of cleaning the switches. On the other Lexus forums- someone else said the same thing and I thought that may be it, but I seen that the interior light was working when I opened the doors. The right rear door light does not always light up and I have to wiggle the switch on the door and it works, but still the light on the dash does not illuminate. Could this still be the problem?

The airbag light not illuminating is the one that really has me concerned. I guess I will have to shell out the big $$$ and let the dealer check it for me. Under the sunvisor- it states that it needs to be serviced after 10 years (which would have been the year 2000) and then 2 years thereafter. Could it simply be that it needs serviced?

Thanks again.

FIrst the cel is the check engine light.And yes if anyother system has a problem it usually goes on.

To replace the bulb is actually very easy and done is less than 30 minutes.

Remove the bezel by popping off the 2 littel black covers on top and poping out the 2 screws ,pull back and disconnec the wires for the security and dimmer.

make sure you disconnec the batteyr also.

4 screws hold in the cluster.

pop off and open the back cover and find the light and replace.

Sounds like an easy task to change. Perhaps since the airbag system is supposed to be checked after 10 years and every 2 years fter that- I guess it would be best if I let the dealer inspect the system? Hopefully, it is something even simplier than that. Does anyone know what they do to the car at this "10 year" airbag check-up?

Also- I went out to check that fuse just the same. Its strange, as I did not see fuse for the airbag listed on the fuse box cover. Where exactly where is the fuse located for the airbag(s) on the 90-94 LS400?

Thanks again.

I am not sure on location of parts on anLS but the ES i have the manual and all it really is ,is the tech wiggles wires to make sure they aren't brittle and checks sensors for resistance in tolerances.

Really just over priced and probably not needed if they car has not been in an accident.

Unfortunately random warning lights not illuminating may be a symptom of the circuit board for the gauge cluster malfunctioning. This is big $$s to fix and will eventually degrade to the point that the gauges will no longer function. I have a feeling this is definately what the dealer is going to tell you. I think people around here get quoted in the quadruple digits for this repair. I just had it done on my Explorer with the same symptoms, luckily its a $500 job from Ford. Not gonna be that way on the Lexus...

If you can get back there and swap out the light and it works thats great, but if it doesnt make any difference its the circuit board.

Thanks. To keep from having to remove the cluster and risk damaging something myself I have made an appointment to take it to the dealer on Thursday. He (service counter guy) called me back and said he had talked to his service manager and he said it could just simply need to be "activated", he said it could be other things, as well as a bad bulb. They are going to charge $30.00 to check it- which I think is a very fair price to find out for sure what it is- instead of removing and replacing this and that and still not have it repaired. I will post what I find out, as it seems to be a rare problem. Most complaints are of a airbag light that stays illuminated, rather than one that will not illuminate. Thanks again for all of the replies.

AIRBAG LIGHT REPAIRED - UPDATE

Well, I am glad to report that my airbag light works again. I was at the Lexus dealer for almost two hours and just shortly returned. It turned out that the previous owner decided that they did not want a airbag to operate, so they had it disconnected and had the bulb removed. The tech discovered that it had been disconnected at the steering column. Reconnected and still no airbag light. Then they proceded to check the bulb only to find it had been completely removed. Tech installed a new bulb after reconnecting airbag and all is fine. Service counter lady said that the tech checked the system (sensors, etc) and all is fine. As mentioned, they charged $30.00 to check it. They charged $1.50 for the bulb. With tax- the total was only $34.50- which I thought was very fair.

I also got her to run me a service report- which showed that the A/C was tested a few months before I bought it. Evaporator clogged - approx- $1000 parts, $300 labor repair. Was not repaired.

Thanks again for all of the replies and advice.