Air Conditioner Filter

go4forever

Theya ll have a space to put one in,not all had the option installed.

The 92-96 should be beside the gas pedal behind the carpet.

The 97 and up should be behind the glove box ,I think amf showed a nice pic of removal for a 02 and up on another thread before it was lost ,it was of the graphics to remove and install a new one.

Guys, check this link out. http://web.ace.net.au/soarer/air_condition...ner_filter.html There is photos and its self explanitory on how to change the air conditioner filters. The pictures are for a RHD Soarer but I'm assuming the Stateside models are similar just swap left for right. I bought my '92 Soarer used and didn't even know these filters were there until I found this link. After I changed the filters (actually just ran them under soapy water, dried them and reinstalled them) the airflow increase was such an improvement that it blew out all the dead foam ducting seals from the vent area, what a mess. :o You have been forwarned!!

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Do these filters really make a difference in filtering out bad smells outside? Or are they more for dust and pollen? I think I found the compartment for it in my'94 next to the gas pedal...it looks like a very big white box.

:cheers:

they definately filter out some pollen and dust, but that crap gets in your car everytime you open a window, door or sunroof, not to mention coming in on the clothing of anyone that gets in you car.

As for keeping out bad smells, those two will eventually find their way into the cabin (ie dead skunk smell always gets in the car).

I must note that when the dirty filter gets moist, it becomes a breeding ground for mildew and mold. Now that's a horrific odor, kinda a cross between sweaty stank feet and potato chips. :o :wacko::angry:

steviej

the filter for the 2002 ES had charcol (is this the updated carbon you speak of)? The filter started to smell at about 20k miles last June. I am approaching 33k miles now and will change it out this spring again. The replacement fitler put in in June shows no signs of odor....YET. It was the same as the filter that came out, the same filter as the one that grew very very stank.

The filter was $57 from dealer but can be had from internet Lexus parts distuributors (ie, irontoad.com) for less than $40.

steviej