questions regaridng 1990 ls400?

apexsw20trd

hi guys i would like to know a few things before i jump into buying a 1990 ls400.

first is first, i hear much about this air suspension option that came with some ls400 and i hear that this air system causes probelms with expensive repairs when it breaks. so my question would be how can i tell if the car i am buying has a air suspension system? please give me some thign i can look at or do to see if the car has the air suspension.

second, i also hear a common problem with the power steering going out , what would be the cost of fixing something like this?

can anyone tell me what are the otehr common problem with this car?

-You can tell if a LS400 has air suspension if it has three switches in the center, here is a pic http://www.familycar.com/images/Lexus1stGe...Gen/Console.JPG I recently bought a 91 LS400, without the air supension, the air suspension was an expensive option so it is hard to find now. Other than seeing the switches for it you should have a very smooth drive.

-I haven't heard of the power steering going out, but hey, it's an old car. I'm not sure about cost for fixing that.

-Other commen problems are: A/C condenser failure, and control arms for the suspension. Both are expensive repairs if you do them at a dealer.

If things such as these are indeed broken in the one you are looking at, you should figure them into the price you pay if you buy it. The LS400 or any other Lexus are great cars, I recommend them!!! I hope this helps.

Earl!

A question for Earl re the console pic on his post. The leather cover on my gearshift is worn out and split on one corner ( ring of the previous owner!). How does one repair or change it for a reasonable amount. I live in Canada.

Tks

apexsw20trd: your power steering issue. Here is something to look for. If the steering wheel is a little tight or is tilting in one direction you might want to check the power steering fluid. MY steering wheel is tilting one way, and when I got an estimate from Lexus, they said the fluid cable was leaking. I haven't found the leaking cable yet, but once I put in some new PSt fluid, if went back to it original position.

Before buying this car, I would suggest that you take the car to a Toyota or Lexus dealership and have them inspect it. It will cost you some money, but it's well worth it. Second of all, definitely have them throughly check the electronics and Engine of the car, and if necessary, ripe apart the block to see what's needs to be fixed. If they spend less than 3hours on the car, tell the manager that you are not satisfied with the inspection and you are demanding satisfaction or your money back. I am currently learning from that mistake, and I'll be taking my reciept back to the Lexus dealer for my money back, since I figured out what the problems are afterwards.

• 5 months later...

To answer your power steering problem. If the power steering fluid is leaking as was a design flaw, it will leak on the alternator causing you to replace that, too. The cost to replace the power steering system for my 94 at the dealership was a little over $1700. Also, gaskets on an old car will eventually need to be replaced. I've put a lot of money in my 94 which I just bought in 11/02, but I love that thing so much, I don't care so long as it keeps running and I can charge it to my credit card! Also check that the A/C control LCD panel isn't turning black. That's about an $800 dealer charge. Tune-ups cost about $800 for the 120,000 mile (60,000 mile) tune-up. But well worth it.

Here are some common problems with early LS 400's

1. LCD displays, lights go out, display turns black.

2. Power Steering pumps and hose.

3. Upper control arms (magnesium wishbones).

4. A/C compressors.

5. Suspension Struts.

6. Air suspension (if car has it).

7. Brake calipers which can stick if you let the pads get low.

8. 400's burn a great deal of premium fuel.

9. 400's can cause expensive speeding tickets.

All can be fixed with money. Lots of money. Lexus dealers charge a fortune to fix anything. Other repair shops also charge nearly a fortune because many of the parts can only be purchased through Lexus. Many others on this website have posted valuable information on aftermarket parts such as irontoad.com. On the plus side is that the Lexus is such a well designed car that they are fairly easy to work on yourself if you are so inclined. I replaced my rear brake pads for $75 after the dealer quoted me $750+. Only took me 1/2 hour. Although everything is expensive, these are fantastic cars and with proper maintenance seem to have the ability to go nearly half a million miles.

I paid a Jap repair shop about $1000 to replace my power steering pump and hose, parts were about $750 of that, but I have since seen them cheaper. Had I had the time, I would have done the job myself. I also paid the dealer $1500 for a 120,000 mile tune-up, transmission service, coolant flush, and to replace my struts which are long narrow bars which connect the front suspension. I was kind of disappointed when the dealer told me the transmission doesn't have a fliter, just a screen that can be cleaned. I have since seen filters for sale so maybe I was handed a line.

All Lexus dealers can pull up any dealer service done to the car wherever it was done. They also do a fairly good analysis of the cars condition for about $75, however I did see another post that someone said the dealer missed stuff. Good luck. Denny

Having owned my 90 LS since new, I can say that has been much more reliable and satisfactory that any previous car that I have owned. It has required far less service and expense that any of the Volvo and Mercedes cars that we have purchased. My CPA wife hated it when I spent so much money in 1990 but now agrees that the cost has been a very efficient use of our money.

As with any 13 year old car, components will fail and probably at an increasing frequency. Assuming that you are purchasing your 90 LS at a relatively low cost, that it is very good condition, that you are willing to suffer the occasional $1,000 repair bill, and willing to risk the car being "totaled" for insurance purposes by a relatively minor crash, I think you will find that a 90 LS will be an extremely pleasant automobile.

It is certainly not a sports car but it is extremely well balanced and you will find that it is very controllable even at its cornering limits.

I got the 1990 LS400 for its historical background. Its that first V8 from Japan and the first V8 from Toyota. After 13 years, I still feel this car still can run with one or two years old Camry or Avalon. After more than one decade, the 1990 still runs smooth and quiet. Its still a silence rocket.

If you plan to get a 1990. Stay away from Air Suspension. Its time for them to go bad. They are very expensive. About $1,000 each. Get the standard suspension you will be fine for the next 10 years.

If you ever got bored with your 1990 LS, you can always put in a supercharger someday or go crazy put in a single turbo.

Good luck and enjoy