Engine Problems

punjani

Hello club,

I bought Lexus'99 and have 94K miles on it... I changed my oil recently and since then am having problem.. lot of white smoke and power problem.

When I took it to the dealer - hold you breath... He advised that I need new engine, can you believe this.. The cost of new engine is $12500 plus labor.

Any one with similar issues?

Your engine probably faced an oil sludge problem and has burned up. Ask the dealer to inspect the engine under the engine sludge program. They will replace the engine free of charge. See below for more information or do an internet search under: toyota engine sludge, toyota oil sludge

"Faced with a consumer revolt over low mileage engine failures

caused by oil sludge buildup, Toyota has begun

to notify 3.3 million owners of 1997-2002 Toyota and Lexus vehicles

with 3.0-liter IMZ V-6 engines and all 1997-2001 Toyota vehicles with

5SFE 2.2-liter 4-cylinder engines that it will cover the cost of sludge-related

repairs for eight years from date of initial sale.

Whether this will satisfy the thousands of Toyota and Lexus owners who

have already suffered engine failure remains to be seen because Toyota's

Special Policy falls short of an express warranty. Toyota modified V-6

engines made after July 2001 but has not recalled the earlier engines.

The 2.2L 4-cylinder has been dropped.

CAS urges Toyota and Lexus owners with engine problems to file

a complaint. CAS believes Toyota should provide an express warranty

of at least 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes later, on the engines

in the affected models. "

Hey Guys,

After a brief check the Lexus dealer told me that there is no excessive sludge build up so my RX300 is not covered under the "Sludge Program". As of now he told that he will have to do some repair costing about $1800 and if it fixes the problem then I might not need a new engine but if the repairs do not fix the car then I will have to end up spending $7000 for the repairs. What do you guys suggest I should do next?

Thanks for you views.

Salim

You should immediately run the other way and find someone with more competence in their engine diagnosis skills. A good mechanic should have the ability to pinpoint your problem with no guesswork and define the steps and the costs to effect your repairs. If I were you, I wouldn't throw away a hard-earned $1,800 on repairs that "may or may not" fix your engine problems.

Find a good local repair shop that specializes in Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. Look in your local Yellow Pages and make some phone calls. Talk to some of your acquaintances and colleagues who drive Japanese cars and inquire where they get their repairs done. But don't get taken by your dealer who sounds like he is setting you up for a good old-fashioned wallet-skinning.

I've never heard of the V6 failing unless it had sludged up. I agree, get a second opinion.

You say it happened right after the oil change. Dare I suggest that maybe the dealership is responsible and thats why they're behaving this way? Why else would it fail right after the oil change? The sludging is a gradual problem.

Have you always had regular oil changes done? Did you do the oil change this time? If so, what brand, viscosity, oil filter did you use?

Punjani,

You’re going to have to escalate and contact Lexus (national) Customer Care or Lexus Customer Satisfaction; there is a 1-800 number.

Your strategy then is to tell them (national) that you are not satisfied with what your are being told by the dealer concerning your car's engine sludge problem and that you want them (national customer service) to declare the engine a sludge engine. You also want them to issue a voucher or letter that will allow you to have the engine replaced at any dealer of your choosing; avoid your current dealer for the engine replacement.

Apparently, the dealer you are working with does not like the profit margin of an engine replacement via Toyota Corp. (under the engine sludge program) vs. the profit they would make off of you if you paid for the engine repair out of your own pocket.

The key to this fight (I hope you are a fighter) is to continue to not be satisfied until you are truely satisfied; make it costly (time consuming) for them to continue the fight by staying in the fight.

This advice is right on the money, and Lexus01 hit the nail squarely on the head when he pointed out that you must be a fighter with the word "quit" not even in your vocabulary. So call Lexus Corporate at (800) 255-3987 and follow the advice above. Don't take no for an answer, keep escalating to higher levels of management, and keep us posted on your progress. We can also provide words of encouragement if you need them. But the bottom line is to document your issues, always be professional when engaging with Lexus, but don't ever forget that you must maintain a warrior mentality to get what you want. By following this same strategy throughout October and November, I was able to have a new transmission installed in my wife's 2000 RX300 at no cost to us.

Woah Woah Woah.

Before he calls and raises hell, the dealership says theres no sludging. If thats the case any number of other things could have caused the engine to fail. We dont know what type of oil he uses, filter, how often he changes the oil, or why it happened RIGHT after the oil change. He needs a second opinion first, then if it is sludging it'll make his position that much stronger.

A second opinion is still important in this case, but that doesn't change the fact that if Punjani's story as reported here is accurate, his current dealership has not provided him with a sufficient level of detail to allow him to understand what is wrong and what measures need to be taken to effect repairs on his vehicle. "We might be able to fix it for $1,800, but if we can't, be prepared to spend up to $7,000" just doesn't cut it from any competent, professional service department. Lexus01 made a good point above - regardless of whether or not the problem can be attributed to the known engine gel issue, Punjani may be much better off to find another Lexus dealership in which to attempt to place his trust.

He needs far more detail both in terms of what's truly wrong and what it should cost to repair. If his current Lexus service department isn't willing or able to provide it, a second opinion from a respected independent Japanese service provider could be the best way to go in this case.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to get the VIN's for RX300 with the questionabe engine - I bought mine in December 2001 and have 50k already miles - all dealer oil changes. The July date seems close.

Otherwise the car (truck?) is a dream.

• 3 months later...

To Jon in Raleigh,

You stated that Lexus agreed to replace your wife's RX300 tranny. What was the mileage and circumstance. I have a '99 that I've owned for only the last 35k of 118k . but I bought with the Lexus reliability in mind , not knowing there was a 'short' life span of the tranny.. Please let me know if you think I have any recourse. This is quite a surprise to find out that proper maintenance will not get 150-200K on a Lexus transmission.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hello club,

I know its been a while before I am replying.

I tried all my luck and nothing worked out. I had to seel my car to the dealer for $9000. :cries: :angry:

I had a bad experience. I did have all the records for oild change and my oild change was always done on time at various oild change shops.

I had a bad experience but for now... I again drive another Lexus RX300 2002 model. :D

Thanks for all your replies.

That is rediculous, I would file a complaint with the state Automotive Bureau and give all documentation. To be forced mentally to trade in your vehicle is absolutely insane. that dealership should be turned in for fraud. God bless you man

That is rediculous, I would file a complaint with the state Automotive Bureau and give all documentation. To be forced mentally to trade in your vehicle is absolutely insane. that dealership should be turned in for fraud. God bless you man

I think $9,000 for a RX with a blown engine is a pretty good trade. How are you going to turn them in for fraud if you can not prove it Lenore! :whistles:

Sorry about your luck with the 1st one punjani hope that this one works out better for you!