Immediate Response Please - Re: Check Engine Light

diyaynu

I would appreciate a quick knowledgable response if possible.

My engine icon indicator light went on (after any mechanic place would be closed, of course) this evening.

I need to drive 250 miles tomorrow morning. Then I will be leaving the car untouched, undiagnosed or repaired for 4 days - and then will need to drive an additonal 250 miles with that problem uninvestigated.

Can you tell me what it likely means? And am I safe? is the Car safe?

The manual seemed to point towards something with the fuel.

I need to know if I am risking myself or the car by ignoring this lit up warning light until next week sometime.

Can I drive safely with this problem?

Thanks for your (prompt) help :cries::cries:

You are perfectly safe and will most likely not do damage by driving the car with the check engine light on. The manual will say to have your car serviced by a dealer as soon as possible, but that it is safe to drive as I've stated. You should be fine for the length of trip you are describing, but get it to a dealer as soon as you can. Be aware that the most common reason for the light to come on is that the gas cap is not secured tightly enough, as a loose cap will cause the system to light the check engine warning. Did you check the cap? At present I have a relative driving a 2001 Ford that the check engine light has been on, and he hasn't bothered to get corrected, since 71 000 km. Last time I saw the car it had rung up 193 000 km without any visible running problems. Personally I think he needs his head examined.

My engine icon indicator light went on (after any mechanic place would be closed, of course) this evening.

I need to drive 250 miles tomorrow morning. Then I will be leaving the car untouched, undiagnosed or repaired for 4 days - and then will need to drive an additonal 250 miles with that problem uninvestigated.

I need to know if I am risking myself or the car by ignoring this lit up warning light until next week sometime.

Personally, I can't tell you that it is going to be alright to drive your car, with the check engine light (CEL) on.

1. Have you checked your oil?

2. Have you checked your coolant?

Without writing 16 paragraphs. . . you should check the fluid levels (regularly) and have the vehicle 'looked at' by a knowledgeable mechanic (oops, 'technician') before starting on your trip.

Considering that this is Jan. 04, and you posted on the 2nd, I am guessing that you have already taken your trip.

Good luck.

Do not go for a long drive without checking what it is first. It could be anything and it could lead to major engine failure.

You make no mention of the year so i do not know what scanner you need. Go by pep boys or napa before you leave for a free scan.

Next time this happens....just take it to the nearest AUTOZONE or ADVANCE AUTOPARTS store...and they can do and ENGINE CHECK LIGHT diagnostic for you...really quick and FREE of charge. They may be able to tell you what the problem is and depending on what it is....you may be able to fix it with their help or at least know more or less if you should drive the car with the light on or not.

This is one reason why I have an OBD scanner. Beats driving to Autozone etc.

Agree! they are cheap now. . like $40 for OBDII comes w/the scanning capability for new cars as well.

telling people i have a check engine light, means nothing. it's like telling your doctor i am feeling pain but not telling him where the pain is.

This is one reason why I have an OBD scanner. Beats driving to Autozone etc.

Agree! they are cheap now. . like $40 for OBDII comes w/the scanning capability for new cars as well.

telling people i have a check engine light, means nothing. it's like telling your doctor i am feeling pain but not telling him where the pain is.

agreed

REPLY - Thank you all for your responses to my questions.

As I had to drive 250 miles early the next morning follwoing the posting, I chose to rent a car rather than put myself at potential risk.

Previous to deciding to rent, I did check all the fluid levels; and I opened and shut the gas cap several times.

I have it scheduled to have a scan done tomorrow morning - whihc will hopefully determine if there is an actual problem.

Thank you again - all - for your responses!

rep