Problems With Rx350

I have been looking at a 2008 RX350. I currently am a dual Toyota owner, owning a 2000 Tundra and 2005 Matrix. Both bought new and never had a problem with either. I want to get a more upscale vehicle to replace the Matrix. I was looking at a Lincoln MKX but really don't want to go back to domestics. I am not sure that the quality is that much better than the last time I owned one many years ago. I found this forum and have been reading many posts. I chose Lexus since it has always received many glowing reviews but after reading the posts I am starting to question my decision.

I read the posts regarding the tranmission problems with the 99-00 RX300. I also saw some posts regarding the 08 RX350 and acceleration hesitation. I like the RX350 very much but wonder if maybe I should wait until the 2009 model is available for sale which I understand will be this March. I know there is no perfect automobile but I was a bit surprised by many of the issues that some people have had with the Lexus. The cost of the RX350 compares favorably with other upscale autos but I see that the cost of repair services are higher by Lexus dealers. I guess I should have figured this when I visited a dealer a few days ago and he showed me the service department and said that an oil change costs $75. I pay $30 at a local Toyota dealer just a few miles away.

I certainly would like to hear from RX owners on their opinions as to whether they feel the RX is a good purchase. Thanks.

I have been looking at a 2008 RX350. I currently am a dual Toyota owner, owning a 2000 Tundra and 2005 Matrix. Both bought new and never had a problem with either. I want to get a more upscale vehicle to replace the Matrix. I was looking at a Lincoln MKX but really don't want to go back to domestics. I am not sure that the quality is that much better than the last time I owned one many years ago. I found this forum and have been reading many posts. I chose Lexus since it has always received many glowing reviews but after reading the posts I am starting to question my decision.

I read the posts regarding the tranmission problems with the 99-00 RX300. I also saw some posts regarding the 08 RX350 and acceleration hesitation. I like the RX350 very much but wonder if maybe I should wait until the 2009 model is available for sale which I understand will be this March. I know there is no perfect automobile but I was a bit surprised by many of the issues that some people have had with the Lexus. The cost of the RX350 compares favorably with other upscale autos but I see that the cost of repair services are higher by Lexus dealers. I guess I should have figured this when I visited a dealer a few days ago and he showed me the service department and said that an oil change costs $75. I pay $30 at a local Toyota dealer just a few miles away.

I certainly would like to hear from RX owners on their opinions as to whether they feel the RX is a good purchase. Thanks.

If you want an upscale SUV then I would suggest Infiniti...

All single marque luxury dealers will charge an extraordinary fee for services since they do not have a large "installed base" and upscale products are generally more reliable.

The only reason we've had two RX vehicles (a 2000 RX300 AWD and a 2004 RX330 AWD) in our family is because it is what my wife has wanted to drive as her primary vehicle. Even though I had numerous objections to the RX series, it's her money and her choice so I lost the argument both times.

The 2000 RX300 was truly a dog, the worst vehicle I've ever owned in more than 38 years of driving. It suffered from all of the well-known early RX maladies including transmission failure at 48,000 miles even though I have always meticulously maintained all of our vehicles. We kept it until late January 2007 (about 130,000 miles) and finally unloaded it after my wife found her current RX330. The only positive experience that I had with it is that I was always successful in requiring our local Lexus dealership to repair whatever problems arose at no cost to me, both during the warranty period and afterwards. They recognized that this vehicle was well-kept and they stepped up to the plate upon every failure because they realized that I wasn't going to take no for an answer (and they quickly learned that I always did extensive due diligence on the problem before I contacted them to talk about it and get it resolved). This vehicle required more than $9,000 worth of repairs due to known component failures during the four years that we owned it. I'm certainly glad that I never had to pay for any of these repairs myself, otherwise we would have dumped the vehicle long before we did....

The 2004 RX330 is a better-engineered vehicle that seems to have the transmission issue resolved, but the drive-by-wire throttle hesitation can be a real drawback if you are accustomed to powerful engines and drivetrains as well as immediate acceleration response (as I am). It is not an issue with my wife since she has probably never driven over 75 mph in her life and doesn't attempt to treat this RX as a performance vehicle (which it is very far from being, believe me). The biggest complaint she has is due to the dashboard squeaks and rattles that seem to come standard in the RX330 series. She's had her vehicle in the Lexus shop on multiple occasions under warranty in various attempts for them to find and fix these annoying rattles. While she believes they've gradually been reduced, they are never quite eliminated. The vehicle goes into the Lexus shop tomorrow to have the radiator replaced under a Lexus recall, and she'll ask them to once again take a shot at reducing the dashboard rattles. I believe this will be the fourth or fifth attempt, and neither of us are convinced that the Lexus techs can ever get this issue completely and permanently resolved....

You need to develop a list of requirements that you expect your new SUV to have. If that list includes true all-wheel-drive that provides top performance and safety even in heavy snow, then Jeep and Subaru should be at the top of your list. If you're looking for pure power and torque, a Porsche Cayenne may lead your list but a Grand Cherokee Limited with the hemi engine will provide you with similar performance at half the cost and will also be far more reliable from a maintenance perspective. Of course, it will also consume gasoline like a blue whale consumes krill. The Infiniti FX series is also a great pick in the power and performance category. If I ever return to an SUV as my primary vehicle (which is unlikely since I'm a pick-up guy through-and-through), I would take a hard look at the FX45 (but at 6'7", I may not be able to get the legroom and headroom I need in it)....

Notice that I never recommended an RX in any of the criteria above. That's because after owning and maintaining two of them, I know that there are a number of other SUVs out there that deliver far more bang-for-the-buck than any RX can, especially if you want true all-wheel-drive. The RX AWD system is so front-biased that it really is a misnomer to call it all-wheel-drive. My wife BELIEVES she's significantly safer in her AWD RX330 as opposed to just FWD, but I know that in the RX series' case, it's just a marketing gimmick....

In conclusion, I believe that even though the RX series has been improved somewhat since its introduction into the U.S. during the 1999 model year, I still find it to be overpriced and overrated in just about any way you choose to look at it....

Good luck with your ongoing research. I hope you find the vehicle that best suits your needs....

The only reason we've had two RX vehicles (a 2000 RX300 AWD and a 2004 RX330 AWD) in our family is because it is what my wife has wanted to drive as her primary vehicle. Even though I had numerous objections to the RX series, it's her money and her choice so I lost the argument both times.

The 2000 RX300 was truly a dog, the worst vehicle I've ever owned in more than 38 years of driving. It suffered from all of the well-known early RX maladies including transmission failure at 48,000 miles even though I have always meticulously maintained all of our vehicles. We kept it until late January 2007 (about 130,000 miles) and finally unloaded it after my wife found her current RX330. The only positive experience that I had with it is that I was always successful in requiring our local Lexus dealership to repair whatever problems arose at no cost to me, both during the warranty period and afterwards. They recognized that this vehicle was well-kept and they stepped up to the plate upon every failure because they realized that I wasn't going to take no for an answer (and they quickly learned that I always did extensive due diligence on the problem before I contacted them to talk about it and get it resolved). This vehicle required more than $9,000 worth of repairs due to known component failures during the four years that we owned it. I'm certainly glad that I never had to pay for any of these repairs myself, otherwise we would have dumped the vehicle long before we did....

The 2004 RX330 is a better-engineered vehicle that seems to have the transmission issue resolved, but the drive-by-wire throttle hesitation can be a real drawback if you are accustomed to powerful engines and drivetrains as well as immediate acceleration response (as I am). It is not an issue with my wife since she has probably never driven over 75 mph in her life and doesn't attempt to treat this RX as a performance vehicle (which it is very far from being, believe me). The biggest complaint she has is due to the dashboard squeaks and rattles that seem to come standard in the RX330 series. She's had her vehicle in the Lexus shop on multiple occasions under warranty in various attempts for them to find and fix these annoying rattles. While she believes they've gradually been reduced, they are never quite eliminated. The vehicle goes into the Lexus shop tomorrow to have the radiator replaced under a Lexus recall, and she'll ask them to once again take a shot at reducing the dashboard rattles. I believe this will be the fourth or fifth attempt, and neither of us are convinced that the Lexus techs can ever get this issue completely and permanently resolved....

You need to develop a list of requirements that you expect your new SUV to have. If that list includes true all-wheel-drive that provides top performance and safety even in heavy snow, then Jeep and Subaru should be at the top of your list. If you're looking for pure power and torque, a Porsche Cayenne may lead your list but a Grand Cherokee Limited with the hemi engine will provide you with similar performance at half the cost and will also be far more reliable from a maintenance perspective. Of course, it will also consume gasoline like a blue whale consumes krill. The Infiniti FX series is also a great pick in the power and performance category. If I ever return to an SUV as my primary vehicle (which is unlikely since I'm a pick-up guy through-and-through), I would take a hard look at the FX45 (but at 6'7", I may not be able to get the legroom and headroom I need in it)....

Notice that I never recommended an RX in any of the criteria above. That's because after owning and maintaining two of them, I know that there are a number of other SUVs out there that deliver far more bang-for-the-buck than any RX can, especially if you want true all-wheel-drive. The RX AWD system is so front-biased that it really is a misnomer to call it all-wheel-drive. My wife BELIEVES she's significantly safer in her AWD RX330 as opposed to just FWD, but I know that in the RX series' case, it's just a marketing gimmick....

In conclusion, I believe that even though the RX series has been improved somewhat since its introduction into the U.S. during the 1999 model year, I still find it to be overpriced and overrated in just about any way you choose to look at it....

Good luck with your ongoing research. I hope you find the vehicle that best suits your needs....

Rx in NC, thank you very much for the thorough comments. I commend you for sticking to your beliefs regarding getting the repairs from the dealer at no charge. That is great. I do not expect nor require my next vehicle to be performance oriented. So if the RX is a bit soft in the suspension that is ok with me. I am like your wife in that I have probably never been over 75 mph. I have never had any problems with the Toyotas I have owned. My little Matrix was just a cheap little gas saver and it does it well but I knew when I bought it three years ago that I wanted to get at least one upscale vehicle in my life. I just can't bring myself to go back to domestics like the Lincoln and honestly Toyota doesn't have anything that I really like. I don't need a true SUV just a crossover vehicle something with a rear door to haul stuff occasionally instead of a trunk. If I need to haul big items or a load of mulch the Tundra fits that bill fine. I agree that the Lexus line is a bit high but what upscale vehicle isn't. I certainly am not going with the MB or BMW equilivents. They are way to expensive. $40k is probably my top end. Thanks again and I will continue with the search.

Even though other on this site will scoff, check out Consumers' Reports for their recommendations.

I have an 2008 RX350 with around 7000 miles of mixed driving with some very high speed driving through the Nevada desert at maximum speed (111 mph). It has handled and otherwise performed flawlessly. There are some minor picky things that could be different but no real complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an 2007 RX350 and would recommend avoiding this car (many owners may disagree with my comments). The engine is very unrefined, having a tapping noise due to the mechanical timing chain. The transmission has a lag when shifting. The audio and cruise controls are way behind the competition. Acura has much more sophisticated, intuitive steering wheel controls, ipod connection, XM radio as standard (vs a $500 dealer installed option). The heater is unable to maintain constant temperature.

On the plus side, the design is very good as is the interior quality. My wife liked the Lexus design, we had an RX 300 and that is why we bought another one. Overall, for a luxury vehicle, I believe that Lexus has slipped. Buy the Acura (I have a 99 TL with 100,000 miles and the engine is still silky smooth)

We have an 2007 RX350 and would recommend avoiding this car (many owners may disagree with my comments). The engine is very unrefined, having a tapping noise due to the mechanical timing chain. The transmission has a lag when shifting. The audio and cruise controls are way behind the competition. Acura has much more sophisticated, intuitive steering wheel controls, ipod connection, XM radio as standard (vs a $500 dealer installed option). The heater is unable to maintain constant temperature.

On the plus side, the design is very good as is the interior quality. My wife liked the Lexus design, we had an RX 300 and that is why we bought another one. Overall, for a luxury vehicle, I believe that Lexus has slipped. Buy the Acura (I have a 99 TL with 100,000 miles and the engine is still silky smooth)

You can be comfortable in your RX while at the same time avoiding instances of sudden windshield fogging.

There are three c-best options you can have the dealer set to other than factory defaults concerning these issues in your RX.

In the meantime if you over-ride the automatic setting for outflow air distribution to footwell and windshield and set the temperature about 3-4 degrees above your desired comfot level you will be able to travel great distances in comfort during the winter cold.

• 4 weeks later...

Based upon your stated needs and the amount maximum that you want to spend, look at the Mazda CX9. Fully loaded it's less than the Lexus and you get the same luxury and comfort. I'm not sure if you can get the Bluetooth package separately from the NAV. If you can, then get it. The reason I bring it up, is that similar to the Lexus/Toyota product, the Mazda's voice recognition isn't that great (neither is the Nissan/Infiniti product). If you're looking for the prestige/luxury, then I'd look at the Acura MDX (great NAV)

I have a 2003 Acura MDX and I love this car. I bought a 2007 RX350 for my wife, because I wanted to get rid of her '97 Jeep--so far so good. Take a look at the new MDX, or even consider one a year or two old--you will not be dissapointed!

I did look at the MDX. I really didn't like the interior at all. Also don't care much for the exterior either. It was also a bit larger than I want. The RX is the perfect size.

I bought the 08 RX350 and I'm just coming up to the 1k mile mark and I couldn't be happier with it. I had a 2000 RX and loved it also, traded it in at 62K miles on the new one. I am very aware of the issues that people are complaining about and have not had one instance of any of these issues (knock on wood) The engine is as quiet and smooth as can be, the transmission is positive and I tried to make it hesitate and could not. My RX is a Japan built AWD Mfg in 10/07.

Jeff

I have a 2003 Acura MDX and I love this car. I bought a 2007 RX350 for my wife, because I wanted to get rid of her '97 Jeep--so far so good. Take a look at the new MDX, or even consider one a year or two old--you will not be dissapointed!

Two freinds drive MDX's and have had several new transmissions so far.

I owned an RX300 for 6 1/2 years, I had a great experience with the car and great experience with the dealer. Based on my confidence in Lexus and the dealer, I purchased an RX350 (loaded) in December 2007. I returned the car with under 80 miles because of the windshield distortion - It was making me disoriented and have headaches driving it. I have had two more windshields, same problem. Now I am dealing with Lexus (not my local dealer). They don't want to even try to fix the problem and have told me to go to arbitration. I was a Lexus "customer for life." I did not want to look at another car or car company because I did not want to compromise on quality. I can't express how disappointed I am in Lexus for the way this matter has been handled. In less than two months they have destroyed the good will and great experience of 6+ years.

The ultimate hurt is that the car is really nice - It just is so unpleasant to drive because of the optics.