To Anyone Who Has Installed An Aftermarket Stereo:

Hey guys, I have a few questions about installing my Pioneer AVIC-D2 in my '99 GS300. I have looked at various wiring harnesses and whatnot, but still do not know what I need. I have the base stereo--no navigation or Nakamichi--do I need an amplifier integration harness? What dash kit is best? Do I have to run all new speaker wire like I did in my ES? Does anyonw know where I can get a wiring diagram? I am trying to make this as painless as possible, and if it is going to require too much hassle, I may just pay to have it done. Is there anyone in the Northern IL area who would want to do this if I decide to have it done (I would pay, obviously)? Thanks again for all of the help.

I feel your pain, I just got my Kenwood DNX7100 today and will be having it put in this week. If you're patient I can do a pic by pic DIY write up that may be handy. I can't answer any of your questions though because I'm not the actual person doing the install but I'll try to make the write up as detailed as possible. I have an 02 gs3 with the base stereo.

I feel your pain, I just got my Kenwood DNX7100 today and will be having it put in this week. If you're patient I can do a pic by pic DIY write up that may be handy. I can't answer any of your questions though because I'm not the actual person doing the install but I'll try to make the write up as detailed as possible. I have an 02 gs3 with the base stereo.

Dude, that would be awesome. I would really appreciate that, and maybe that should be pinned! I am sure we aren't the only ones who are struggling with this!

Dude, that would be awesome. I would really appreciate that, and maybe that should be pinned! I am sure we aren't the only ones who are struggling with this!

Just got back from the audio store. I am looking at about $450 to install my Nav system. This is unreal. They say that they will probably have to run new speaker wires to bypass the amplifier. This blows. There HAS to be a better way. Anyone?

I'm not exactly sure about the GS 300 stereo system specs. But I do know that the Metra Harness is available at Circuit City. You do need to do some wire mods to it, but it does work. And don't be upset about bypassing the stock amp. The Poineer is actually a better sounding system. I have the Avic D3, but I replaced the entire stereo system with new amps and speakers, and a sub system.

Hey guys, I have a few questions about installing my Pioneer AVIC-D2 in my '99 GS300. I have looked at various wiring harnesses and whatnot, but still do not know what I need. I have the base stereo--no navigation or Nakamichi--do I need an amplifier integration harness? What dash kit is best? Do I have to run all new speaker wire like I did in my ES? Does anyonw know where I can get a wiring diagram? I am trying to make this as painless as possible, and if it is going to require too much hassle, I may just pay to have it done. Is there anyone in the Northern IL area who would want to do this if I decide to have it done (I would pay, obviously)? Thanks again for all of the help.

I cut off stock stereo, i took a radio dash kit

41d8868f3a92.jpg

and installed into

1din Alpine DVA-9861Ri

6ea270dc2275.jpg

1/2din 7inch monitor w/ av adapter (no picture)

1/2din PROLOGY DVD-500HD MkII

25d2ff5ce8c6.jpg

total picture of full install will be on monday.

I cut off stock stereo, i took a radio dash kit

41d8868f3a92.jpg

and installed into

1din Alpine DVA-9861Ri

6ea270dc2275.jpg

1/2din 7inch monitor w/ av adapter (no picture)

1/2din PROLOGY DVD-500HD MkII

25d2ff5ce8c6.jpg

total picture of full install will be on monday.

How are you bypassing the factory amp?

How are you bypassing the factory amp?

I will to use four external amplifiers.

All stock music (cd-chandger, stereo, tweeters & midbass) are removed,

Because it not quality sound which i prefer.

That doesn't really help me any. Read original posts.

Ok. I found it. Yeah, it's on the older model listing, that's why I couldn't see it at first as it's not in the current lineup.

Ok, so you need a face plate and mounting kit, the wiring harness and what else?

You will need to find out if the stock amp and speakers run an a 4 ohm load, or a 2 ohm. If it's a 4 ohm, your golden. You will beable to wire in the factory amp and speakers. In that case, no, you don't have to run all new speaker wires and so fourth. All you will need to do is wire the D2 to the factory amp, set up the nav. and antenna, Sirrius if you have XFM if that. then you should be good to go.

BUt if it's a 2 ohm system like in the IS 300, then your gonna have more work ahead of you. First, you won't be able to use the factory amp. Second, it may be better to run new wire to the speakers, as splicing in may not be optimal.

I can get you the info on the mounting and face plate, wire harness, and so fourth. So let me know.

Ok. I found it. Yeah, it's on the older model listing, that's why I couldn't see it at first as it's not in the current lineup.

Ok, so you need a face plate and mounting kit, the wiring harness and what else?

You will need to find out if the stock amp and speakers run an a 4 ohm load, or a 2 ohm. If it's a 4 ohm, your golden. You will beable to wire in the factory amp and speakers. In that case, no, you don't have to run all new speaker wires and so fourth. All you will need to do is wire the D2 to the factory amp, set up the nav. and antenna, Sirrius if you have XFM if that. then you should be good to go.

BUt if it's a 2 ohm system like in the IS 300, then your gonna have more work ahead of you. First, you won't be able to use the factory amp. Second, it may be better to run new wire to the speakers, as splicing in may not be optimal.

I can get you the info on the mounting and face plate, wire harness, and so fourth. So let me know.

If the IS300 is 2 ohm, I am willing to bet that the GS300 is the same way. Isn't there a amplifier interface I can buy like they offer for some other cars? This just seems like such a damn hassle to put in an aftermarket stereo. I already have the dash kit. I just need to figure out if I have to run new wires or not. How do I find out what ohm load my stereo is?

I have the wire color code for the radio because I am trying to do the same thing. I am going to ask Lexus about the 2ohm or 4 ohm issue. I would love to have some info on what you find out. I am looking at a D2 also. My email is aseaver1@msn.com. I can forward the wire pin out if you want.

If the IS300 is 2 ohm, I am willing to bet that the GS300 is the same way. Isn't there a amplifier interface I can buy like they offer for some other cars? This just seems like such a damn hassle to put in an aftermarket stereo. I already have the dash kit. I just need to figure out if I have to run new wires or not. How do I find out what ohm load my stereo is?

• 2 weeks later...

What I did for my old GS300 is I purchase the dash kit, an Alpine amp to replace the stock amp because I don't want to go through the hassle of bypassing the stock amp or making it work on the after market receiver. I bought a JVC KD-G820 receiver of which I highly recommend that due to the fact that there are at least 5 preset EQ and you can set your own EQ too. You can find one on eBay for cheaper besides, they don't have it in the shelf at your local BestBuy or CircuitCity anymore. I tried looking for another one but couldn't find it and they say they won't be getting it anymore. I bought two of them just last week, one for my Evo and the other was by mistake but I put it in my wife's Corolla :D

It took me a few hours to do it myself... except I have to take out the stock CD changer and in the same place, I make my own bracket for the Alpine amp to sit in. I can't tell you how I did it but it takes a few hours and trips to the local hardware store to get some screws, nuts and bolts. I use the hex bolt from Ace. I did purchase the wiring harness but it didn't came to me in time so I cut the wires and hard wire it myself. Only do it if you plan to keep your car or won't regret loosing the deck when it's time to let it go.

You don't need to replace any speakers in the GS300 or 400 including sub unless you want your ear to blow. With the setup I have, it sounds real sweet. I just wish I took some pic of my work so I can show you guys but I traded that baby in for a Mitsubishi Evo. :chairshot:

I'm sure there's some threads in here that will show you how to remove your OEM stereo.

• 5 weeks later...

I dont get this, doesnt the Soundgate XR4 or the PAC AUDIO ROEM, or the American International neucleus factory amp integration adapters work in this case ? I own a 98 gs300 and I am about to embark on dropping the xr4 between the new headunit and the factory amp. What is all this talk about changing amps, speakers and the wires , please someone explain if I am wrong.

What I did for my old GS300 is I purchase the dash kit, an Alpine amp to replace the stock amp because I don't want to go through the hassle of bypassing the stock amp or making it work on the after market receiver. I bought a JVC KD-G820 receiver of which I highly recommend that due to the fact that there are at least 5 preset EQ and you can set your own EQ too. You can find one on eBay for cheaper besides, they don't have it in the shelf at your local BestBuy or CircuitCity anymore. I tried looking for another one but couldn't find it and they say they won't be getting it anymore. I bought two of them just last week, one for my Evo and the other was by mistake but I put it in my wife's Corolla :D

It took me a few hours to do it myself... except I have to take out the stock CD changer and in the same place, I make my own bracket for the Alpine amp to sit in. I can't tell you how I did it but it takes a few hours and trips to the local hardware store to get some screws, nuts and bolts. I use the hex bolt from Ace. I did purchase the wiring harness but it didn't came to me in time so I cut the wires and hard wire it myself. Only do it if you plan to keep your car or won't regret loosing the deck when it's time to let it go.

You don't need to replace any speakers in the GS300 or 400 including sub unless you want your ear to blow. With the setup I have, it sounds real sweet. I just wish I took some pic of my work so I can show you guys but I traded that baby in for a Mitsubishi Evo.:chairshot:

I'm sure there's some threads in here that will show you how to remove your OEM stereo.