Consumer Reports Rating

es3502007

Hi all, i just had a look at the lastest comsumers reports guide and it seem our cars have dropped to an average rating. I'm well aware of some of the transmission issues that some of you have endored but I'm shocked at how they seem to have turned on the ES.

What other problems other then transmissions has anyone been having? I dont seem to have that issue, least not that I have really noticed but I find myself looking for it to happen now.

I'm a little disappointed at comsumer reports. I bought this car based mostly on thier recommendation and in 3 months they have really turned on the car.

Dont get me wrong, I still love my car however, i bought it mostly for it's reliabiltity and I feel let down.

I hope Lexus wakes up and addresses the issue for us or this is my last Lexus.

Hi all, i just had a look at the lastest comsumers reports guide and it seem our cars have dropped to an average rating. I'm well aware of some of the transmission issues that some of you have endored but I'm shocked at how they seem to have turned on the ES.

What other problems other then transmissions has anyone been having? I dont seem to have that issue, least not that I have really noticed but I find myself looking for it to happen now.

I'm a little disappointed at comsumer reports. I bought this car based mostly on thier recommendation and in 3 months they have really turned on the car.

Dont get me wrong, I still love my car however, i bought it mostly for it's reliabiltity and I feel let down.

You have to remember that much of the information about automobile reliability is from feedback from readers of Comsumer Reports and members of Consumer Union and from extensive testing. Consumer Reports is not an isolated editorial staff that trashes cars and other products without member input and extensive testing.

We have been providing information to Consumer Union about the reliability of cars and many other products through surveys for way over 30 years. I have often been assured and sometimes amused at how the reliability ratings published in Consumer Reports correlates to our own experiences with various products.

It is unfortunate that Toyota Motor Company has allowed their cars - both Lexus and Toyota - to slip in quality. We are stockholders of Toyota and are especially concerned.

Don't blame the staff of Consumer Reports Magazine - they are only the messenger. Full responsibility for their product is with Toyota Motor Company.

You have to remember that much of the information about automobile reliability is from feedback from readers of Comsumer Reports and members of Consumer Union and from extensive testing. Consumer Reports is not an isolated editorial staff that trashes cars and other products without member input and extensive testing.

We have been providing information to Consumer Union about the reliability of cars and many other products through surveys for way over 30 years. I have often been assured and sometimes amused at how the reliability ratings published in Consumer Reports correlates to our own experiences with various products.

It is unfortunate that Toyota Motor Company has allowed their cars - both Lexus and Toyota - to slip in quality. We are stockholders of Toyota and are especially concerned.

Don't blame the staff of Consumer Reports Magazine - they are only the messenger. Full responsibility for their product is with Toyota Motor Company.

Your right about the staff at Consumer Reports Magazine and I didnt not mean to offend them. I do however believe some information gets reported to quickly. If i were giving advise to someone who was about to spend $54,000.00 Canadian on anything, I would want to be sure i can back it with solid information.

Your right about the staff at Consumer Reports Magazine and I didnt not mean to offend them. I do however believe some information gets reported to quickly. If i were giving advise to someone who was about to spend $54,000.00 Canadian on anything, I would want to be sure i can back it with solid information.

I saw the rating and used the Consumer Report Blog to ask them what it was that hurt the ES 350. Looks like it was the transmission issue, which I think was a big embarassment to Lexus and to some extent the floormat recall as well as some issues with the passenger air bag sensor. With the higher quality of all car manufacturers, including U.S., it doesn't take much to downgrade a car line. For owners of Lexus the expectation is appropriately high. I am betting these are fixed on the 2008 and I do really like the car. It will be interesting to see how 2008 owners answer the questionaire--I will be one of them.

• 1 month later...

I see in the FEB 2008 CR, the Toyota Camry V6 XLE, pretty much the same engine,transmission etc as the ES350 was removed from the recommended list and dropped to a reliability rating of "Worse than Average" CR commented they could no longer recommend it with that reliability rating. Probably not good news for ES350 owners.

I do not take issue with the change in recommendation by CU. What muddies the waters about the ES350 is that some vehicles display the transmission problem while others do not.

The build date of my 2007 ES350 is April 2007. I purchased it in June. To date, I have not had a single problem or failure of any kind with my ES. It has performed flawlessly. If asked, I would have no hesitation recommending it based upon my personal experience with it.

Nevertheless, many other owners have had failures with their transmissions. The fact that so many Toyota and Lexus cars equipped with the same engines and transmissions demonstrate the problem, would lead many potential buyers to pass on these vehicles.

One would think that Toyota would have corrected the problem by now. Reliability is one factor that elevated Lexus to its present position of excellence and quality. This issue does nothing to enhance their reputation but instead, creates doubt about both lines of cars..

I too looked at what CR had said about the 07 ES, which was highly recommended, when I was making my decision about the 08 ES that I purchased. I have had it now for 5K miles and it has quite flawless as far as reliability. So, which customer satisfaction survey/study do I need to go to in order to provide my positive feedback about the car? My experience with CR is, if you like their rating, wait a couple of months and it will change. It happened with the plasma TV that I bought, here I am thinking that I am doing my DD in researching the model I want to buy, CR says it is a must have. Then, months after the purchase, not so great any more... It is back up there, but, what happened? And I didn't fill out any surveys on the TV.

You have to subscribe to CR to fill out their surveys.

Ah, so there you have it! If ever I want to complain about a product I will subscribe to CR and do it in their surveys... But with all the products that I have no complaints about, nah! It's kind of like this forum, isn't it?

It is sort of like this forum in that its not a true representation of the consumer publication because only a certain type of consumer subscribes to consumer reports.

I Agree, mostly people who want to whine about a product subscribe to CR, and after they are done whining and if they have any motivation they might just fill out another survey with some positive things about another product.

I test drove an 08' ES 350 today and was ready to trade my 94 LS 400 but something kept saying no. Not sure but it didn't seem up to the same quality level and not sure if that will ever be seen again. I'm going to try some German stuff next week but for the moment pretty bummed out.... Honestly I was ready to leave my baby with 200k there and drive away but just didn't feel it..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I want to ask for an advice from you guys about my going to buy 1996 Lexus ES300 (177K). If it was maintainced well, shall I buy it and run it for another 50k without any major problems (tranny, engine, etc.) Off couse, I will keep to maintaince the car well. Any experience about problem with this car at this mileage? Please help me.

Thanks,

Hi,

I want to ask for an advice from you guys about my going to buy 1996 Lexus ES300 (177K). If it was maintainced well, shall I buy it and run it for another 50k without any major problems (tranny, engine, etc.) Off couse, I will keep to maintaince the car well. Any experience about problem with this car at this mileage? Please help me.

Thanks,

You're posting your question in the wrong forum. This forum is for '07-'08 ES350's

• 4 weeks later...

My first comment is on Consumer Reports. I believe that they have made some changes that they now will only post ratings until they have (I believe) at least a years' worth of data. I really used CR in my research in buying my new ES350. I was considering the GS350 (very poor ratings from CR...CR had this car highly recommended last year but after new information came in, it doesn't even recommend the GS350). I also considered the Infiniti M, Toyota Avalon, Cadillac CTS and STS, BMW 5 Series, and Mercedes Benz C Class. I think that CR had them all pegged correctly. Also, I just read an article with the CEO of Toyota/Lexus, and he admitted that they have had their issues with quality as they are rising to the top of the automotive ladder! I think CR is right on!

Also, I think this forum is right on. I have had "slight" issues with the transmission at 40 & 20 mph and I heard a "inside creaking" a couple of times during very cold days. However, I seem to be getting used to the transmission since these issues seem to "help" in downshifting in the snow and aren't too noticeable. The creaking we will see (but CR rates the ES as average on inside issues like this). With only 1300 miles on my car, we will see how it goes from here...but I do love the car!

As to the ES350 vs. the German cars. I would say that the German cars handling around corners is much better than any other car including the Lexus. Now before all of us Lexus owners get upset, I can say that the interior quiet and luxury appointments (to me) are much better in the Lexus. I don't need to go around a corner at 75mph! But if I have to, a little body roll in my Lexus doesn't bother me too much. Plus, the German cars are all rated lower in reliability than Lexus and cost much more (nothing under $50K).

As to the ES350 vs. the German cars. I would say that the German cars handling around corners is much better than any other car including the Lexus. Now before all of us Lexus owners get upset, I can say that the interior quiet and luxury appointments (to me) are much better in the Lexus. I don't need to go around a corner at 75mph! But if I have to, a little body roll in my Lexus doesn't bother me too much. Plus, the German cars are all rated lower in reliability than Lexus and cost much more (nothing under $50K).

I agree...going through corners at a high speed may be useful on the track or switching lanes on the autobahn, but not in real life U.S. driving. We have bumps, rough asphalt, bridge grates, RR crossings, etc. I'll take a Lexus any day.

Amen! Completely agree.