Teen Purchase Of A Is300?

FES330lix

I went to my sister's house several weekends ago for my nephew's birthday celebration; he turned 16. And being 16, the first thing he did was schedule a drive test and pass with flying colors.

We went stopped by three dealerships last night and he didn't take serious interest in anything. That is, until he laid his eyes on a black 2001 IS300. After I dropped him off at his house and went home, my sister called me and told me her concern; he wants the Lexus. After some research I discovered IS300's around 4-6 years old cost below $15,000 (the price max for his car) and hold strong reliability and quality.

Me and my family's main concern is whether or not the IS300 is a suitable first car. It has an adequate amount of power, lots of luxury appointments teens will appreciate, and very reliable even though it's 6 years old (I had a 2001 330Ci...never again!). We also have no clue about the insurance rates. Your input is greatly appreciated!

I think the insurance rates will probably put an end to this idea. I'm split on a sports-y car for a teenager's 1st car. The handeling can come in handy if he pushes it too far, as most teenagers usually do no matter the car is. But, the handeling can also invite aggresive driving too. Anything sporty with a 6 under the hood is going to be costly on the insurance side. My opinion is a 4 banger VW Golf or Jetta. They can handle very well in a very forgiving way, but don't have so much horsepower to get them into trouble. One speeding ticket in the IS, and the rates will double. From my understanding, some IS's have a severe throttle lag problem. A lawyer buddy of mine has one in Tampa, and is drafting a legal claim against the dealership because of the lag. He's nearly been t-boned on several occasions by that lag.

I'd also consider a 06' Mazda 3 too. Wife has an 07' fully loaded, and it's a blast! heck, I got my 1st speeding ticket in 16 years the 1st week we had it. It has a 4 banger, enough pep to really be fun, but not so much to invite racing and too much hot-dogging.

But either way, it really comes down to the driver, and if he/she can handle the responsibilty of having a car in general. My neighbor has a 16 year old son, and they ended up buying him a Pontiac Grand Prix sedan. They were interested in buying my 95 LS400 for him, but I actually refused the offer because it's a V8 that can really scoot, but can't handle turns like a 16 year old boy would take. Teenagers are "testers" of limits, and some cars invite such actions. The IS300 is one of those cars. It begs the driver to be aggressive. Just like my old 01 Maxima SE. I couldn't help but drive hard, but in my LS, or even my new 05 4Runner, I have no desire to be aggessive, and yet remain just as happy with the driving experience.

Yeah...I'd be weary too. Its not the fact that "its a Lexus" but the fact that its a sporty and flashy car that invites aggressive driving and even worse showing off for his friends. I'd be concerned about the aggressive driving in a Mazda 3 too, but its not as flashy and he's not as likely to feel the pressure to showboat. His friends are all really going to want to cruise around in the IS. It'll be a ton of fun for him, and its affordable and reliable (insurance won't be too bad, its a sedan), but I'd be worried about that.

Another thing to consider is that the IS is a powerful RWD car. It has sophisticated anti-skid systems but they only go so far. In adverse weather he's going to have a lot of car to handle and he needs to know how to do that. I'd sign him up for a REAL driving course. I took one in a skid car and on a track with my own car and it not only taught me so much about controlling different cars in different types of skids and situations, but it created a love of driving that made me go on and take more advanced courses.

When I was that age a buddy of mine got a new 3 series coupe for his 16th birthday. I rode with him in it 1 time, and vowed I never would again. I have him 3 months until he totalled it and he surprised me...it only took him 2.

It really depends on the kid though. When I was his age that stuff just wasn't my thing. I don't know how you could tell if he is or isn't though...

As others have said I would put some considerable thought into the temptation associated with a flashy, powerful, RWD vehicle as a first car. I can remember when I earned my license I was insistent that my father purchase a 3 series Bimmer for me. The day I passed the exam he stated, "I have a car for you". Ahhh the elation I experienced until he showed me the Olds. Cutlass sedan he had acquired.081.gif He thought I should spend a year in that before moving up to anything nicer, more dangerous and with less steel/iron to protect me. Within a year I rear-ended someone and blew the tranny.

I was then given a Corvette at 17 and within four months I wrapped it around a pole grand-standing! icon_eek.gificon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gif

That said if I were you I might purchase a non-turbo Volvo S40 for the lad. laugh2.gif

The bottom line is I had been responsible, driving since 12 years old and still fell victim to inexperience and teenage testosterone peppered with some invincibility.

Is this a repost from the IS 300 forum?

I guess it depends on the kid really. I don't think of the IS 300 as a "first car" though. It's just too much car for someone starting out. Like a Mustang Shelby. It's just not a good idea as a first car. this car has been around long enouph also that there is alot of aftermarket support to make that car even faster. ( Just look at my signature!!!) LOL!! The IS 300 is a target car. People usually buy this car because they were looking for it specifically. But on the other hand it has 6 air bags, traction control, rides great, reliability is very high, and on and on and on.

There are so many things going on in a young kids life these days,,,,if he has a 15k budget,( and by the way, 15k? nice parents!!!!, wish I had 15K to buy my first car with.) I would seriously consider a new car. Then you get a warranty to cover the "issues". etc. etc. and the resale value will be higher then to help himself buy the next car. Especially when you consider the Mitsubishi Lancer is 13,500 new!, A Mazda 3, Toyota Carolla S, and Saturn Ion all under 15k and brand new. I would hate to think he would be upset that his parents made him get a brand new car!!!

Let's look at it like this. He's 16 now. 2 years and he's 18 and the lexus is now 8 years old, or a 2 year old new car. Now college? 4 years ? 12 year old Lexus or 6 year old new car? That's a big expense for someone coming out of college to have to buy a new car right away. 6 years old car is a much better place to be at then yes? Parents just spent what a couple hundred grand on college? and now a new car again?

I don't know, kids are so impulsive and want what they want. Atleast I'm 37 now and spend my own money.

The first car I had was Mercedes Benz ML 320, my Dads of course, and I used to "race" with people. I strongly suggest you find another car, or the same car with lower V. If it's a V8, get a V4.

No such thing as a V4 ;) 4 cyl engines are almost always inline engines.

Anyways the IS only comes with one engine, an inline 6.

Depends on the child and his/her maturity level.

I've raised 3 kids to the driving-age, and put all of them in Lexus' as their first cars. I felt they were responsible, mature and appreciative enough to own such nice cars. Safety and reliability were big influences on my decision as well.

If the parents can afford it, and if the child seems responsible and appreciative enough, i think it's a great choice.

My son's first car was an 03 Ls430, and he didn't abuse it. He was involved in several accidents, but who hasn't been? I was able to sleep at night knowing he was in one of the safest cars ever made... He just recently traded it in for an Rx330 which he loves.

When my first daughter began to drive, we bought her an 04 Es330 which she too has been very responsible with. We gave our youngest daughter my used Rx300 a few months ago for her first car. So far so good.

If money's not a problem, and safety and reliability are of any importance, the Lexus is a great choice. Just make it clear the child can't abuse it.

I give my hearts out to the family's of kids i see driving used 2-door rusty honda civic's... i wouldn't want to get into an accident in one of those.

My first car was a VERY USED 1962 VW Beetle. The floor rotted out at one point, to which i used cardboard boxes and tape to prevent the water from splashing in during rainstorms. I remember how awful it was to have to be seen in that. I would never put my kids through that. My parents couldn't afford a nice car for me, so they didn't. I can afford better for mine, so i will.

Now, I came from a pretty well off family and when I started to drive I got a new car that was pretty nice (an Explorer Limited, $35k or so). But, I disagree with LexKid.

I think that when you buy your kids expensive cars like that you actually set your kids up for difficulties later in life. There's an old addage, a luxury once tasted becomes a neccesity. When your kids drive cars like this (I mean, a $65,000 LS430 for a first car?) they become accustomed to that prestige and the lifestyle that goes along with it. What happens 6 years down the line when its time to get a new car and they're 22? What 22 year old can afford to purchase a car of the same caliber as the LS? In my opinion you're putting your kids at risk of falling into "The American trap" of living outside their means to impress people they don't know. Theres a reason Americans have such unbelievable debt loads.

Plus, when they drive something like this and live this way at such a young age, what do they have left to achieve as they grow?

There are plenty of more reasonably priced cars that are as safe as the LS430. Reliability? Try a Honda or a Toyota. These purchases are not practical, its parents trying to relive their childhoods through their own children the way they wished theirs could have been. You're making those purchases for yourself, not for your kids.

Now, I came from a pretty well off family and when I started to drive I got a new car that was pretty nice (an Explorer Limited, $35k or so). But, I disagree with LexKid.

I think that when you buy your kids expensive cars like that you actually set your kids up for difficulties later in life. There's an old addage, a luxury once tasted becomes a neccesity. When your kids drive cars like this (I mean, a $65,000 LS430 for a first car?) they become accustomed to that prestige and the lifestyle that goes along with it. What happens 6 years down the line when its time to get a new car and they're 22? What 22 year old can afford to purchase a car of the same caliber as the LS? In my opinion you're putting your kids at risk of falling into "The American trap" of living outside their means to impress people they don't know. Theres a reason Americans have such unbelievable debt loads.

Plus, when they drive something like this and live this way at such a young age, what do they have left to achieve as they grow?

There are plenty of more reasonably priced cars that are as safe as the LS430. Reliability? Try a Honda or a Toyota. These purchases are not practical, its parents trying to relive their childhoods through their own children the way they wished theirs could have been. You're making those purchases for yourself, not for your kids.

I agree with you. When I was a kid I had to mow lawns on the weekends and after school to earn the money to buy my bicycle, and other things I wanted. Not because my parents couldn't afford it, ( my dad owned a very successful business, and still does.) but more to teach me about real life.

Today, I see what I think are huge mistakes by parents "giving" thier kids way to much. When you look back in history, you see that we as a people allways grew stronger and closer when faced with adversity. When we were forced to overcome obstacles and challenged to go beyond limits. This new " Give my kid the posh life that I never had" mentallity is like using antibiotic germacidal soap on everything in thier lives, and never allowing thier immune system to develop.

I would buy him a $2,500.00 car that has ac, and runs good. Then after it breaks down a few times, he may decide he can work on it himself. What great practice for later in life? And discovering he is capable of such things. Or that he is not the mechanically inclined type. So he will need to figure things out. Think of it as a puzzle that will challenge him to grow. Heck, my parents bought me an $1,000.00 69 Camaro POS!!!! That car became my right to manhood!!!!

Yep, and I'm a poster child for this. I had an awesome childhood don't get me wrong, and in some ways it has driven me to achieve as much as I have at my age. However, when I look at what some of the people I know who are my age and make about what I make are able to put away because of the lifestyle they're satisfied with its really humbling. At this point changing my standard of living would be a very unpleasant and rude experience. Its like an addiction, and if you've never experienced it you don't miss it.

Hell, it kills me to drive a 4 year old car. Its a constant struggle to try and hold back.

I agree with that.

I'm turning 19 on Friday and I still don't have my own car. I still drive my mom's '90 LS400. I work a great, well-paying job (I'm a musician) and I would buy myself a car if I wanted to, but I put the money away so I can use it later on in life, or even save it so I am secure when I retire. At least I will be able to say that I worked for whatever I used that money for.

Hope I made sense... :wacko:

I agree with that.

I'm turning 19 on Friday and I still don't have my own car. I still drive my mom's '90 LS400. I work a great, well-paying job (I'm a musician) and I would buy myself a car if I wanted to, but I put the money away so I can use it later on in life, or even save it so I am secure when I retire. At least I will be able to say that I worked for whatever I used that money for.

Hope I made sense... :wacko:

I think that makes perfect sense. Expensive cars shouldn't be a priority, unless you have everything else you need with a few extra dollars left over. Lexus' are a luxury, not a necessity.

Trust me, if i had a mortgage and debts to pay, i wouldn't be giving my kid's lexus'. But i can afford it, so i will. My kids understand they have to work hard to earn big things. In 2 years my son will be making more than i do, it's not like he's mooching off of me. He worked hard in high school, so i rewarded him with a nice car. He appreciates it more than my wife appreciates her lexus.

It all depends on the child.

I agree with that.

Hope I made sense...:wacko:

I think that makes perfect sense. Expensive cars shouldn't be a priority, unless you have everything else you need with a few extra dollars left over. Lexus' are a luxury, not a necessity.

Trust me, if i had a mortgage and debts to pay, i wouldn't be giving my kid's lexus'. But i can afford it, so i will. My kids understand they have to work hard to earn big things. In 2 years my son will be making more than i do, it's not like he's mooching off of me. He worked hard in high school, so i rewarded him with a nice car. He appreciates it more than my wife appreciates her lexus.

It all depends on the child.

I still think there are things you buy for someone, and things you buy for yourself. If kids work hard and earn thier way, then that's what they are supposed to do. And the rewards they will get are alot greater than any car you can buy them. And why is it that all rewards seem to have to be material ones?

I think the lesson that kids need today is : "I cried because I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet."

As for consideration of the ES, I offered my 2004 to him and he refused; he "prefers a attention getter instead of a grocery getter", even though he drove it twice to school.

This is from the CL thread, lol I wouldn't buy this kid anything after he said that to me.

You're missing the point. it doesn't matter if you can afford it or not and it doesn't matter if your kids appreciate it or not. You're making them accustomed to things that they cannot produce on their own, and that feeds them into this American mentality that having things that display wealth is more important than actually having wealth. Remember, this is from someone who was raised that way. By giving him material rewards for excelling in school you're pre-wiring him to expect material rewards for every area in which he excels. If he buys a new car every time he gets a promotion he will have nothing in life.

The amount of money somebody makes is meaningless too, I know people who make $400k a year and have nothing to show for it but an extremely expensive house with an enormous mortgage, one or more expensive and highly financed cars, and a lifestyle that is ultimately self defeating. Living that way is great fun, but if something happens to that income these people are F%&Ked. A lot of...dare I say most Americans are that way.

The rewards a kid recieves for excelling is school should not be material. In the very most give them money instead of things. At least that way they're being paid for their efforts and they can do with it what they want.

SW03ES - Bro that was a brilliant post you just wrote...:cheers:

I agree with your statements 100%... I worked for my first car which I purchased for $500 working at an ice cream parlor.. I fixed and worked on that car to make it respectable and learned mechanical skills aswell...Did it all on my own.. I always had to work for an allowance, etc...Never got handouts or given lavish things by my parents... Needless to say, I am not lazy and have a strong desire to work 25 years later... I own a house, commercial property and my own business. I have always stayed in peek physical health too (ironman). I am not the poster boy for success by any means and have my problems, but they all pale in comparison to the ones I will state below...

Now looking at several other friends I grew up with that got good grades, a college education, very capable in every way but were given everything they wanted without working for it..New cars as a first, generous allowance, etc.. One of those childhood friends still never worked a day in his life and still lives under his mothers financial umbrella...She bought him a condo... He does drugs, and is very anti social..A complete waste of a human being...The guy is smart as hell too and could have been a real talent in life.... Parents crippled him..

My other friend, an only child, also was given alot growing up, new first car, etc.. He now bounces from job to job 25 years later, doesn't understand the concept of saving money and still seeks out financial help from his parents at 40 years old, he does drugs occasionally, still a bit spoiled mentality and fights his tendancies to throw tandrems when he doesn't get his way... Again a very bright and gifted individual that is cripple and a waste... This guy could do anything he wants to in life but doesn't have the inbread desire to do it... Such a tragedy

Lastly a third friend growing up was really really spoiled...He got every he wanted, elite new first car, huge allowance, parents were loaded... This guy has it the worst today.. Big time drug user and gambler, goes job to job or stays unemployed for a while.. Looks still today for parents financial help and still gets it....In and out of rehabs, he luckily survived two drug OD's.. He's a nice, good looking and smart guy whom is going no where in life except maybe to the grave prematurely...Very sad.. The parents are devistated and grieve constantly but have no one to blame but themselves..

Other good examples is just look at the lives of child hood movie and singing stars... Even though they worked becoming TV or singing stars if you can call it that, they were given everything on the sets and so on in their early lives.. Now look at their lives 20 years later, you've seen and heard all the stories..

Even as adults we can get messed up with big handouts, or easy non working made money...Look at the statistics of Lottery winners... Most end up messed up after the win.. So becareful what you wish for...You need to be very mature in alot of ways to handle a lotto win successfully...

Bottom line is if you develop a strong work ethic in your kid at a young age it will pay dividends later on down the road when that kid becomes an adult... Make the kid work for an allowance by doing the lawn, dishes, cleanup or something, anything... Do not cripple the kid by buying new cars and freely giving everything else under the sun that the kid wants.. A natural parents instinct is to give to the kid out of love and because you have it (DON"T DO IT!!!!) that is the recipe for self destruction later on down the road for the kid..

My advise is to tell the kid the car is not happening, get a part time after school job and I will match what ever you make to put towards the purchase a good used car.... Get good grades and I will give you ???.... Stuff like that works rather then hand outs... Dont' say here are the keys to your new lexus IS300 enjoy, I am sorry you didn't like the grocery getter ES300 what was I thinking....

Going back to the money part of the conversation, in my opinion, I think not "having money" is a good thing. It can teach you how to be wise with spending money. Those that can afford lots of things don't have to worry about being in debt. They can just go out and spend what they like on a new car, new house, etc. But those that CAN'T afford everything can be better at handling a budget and using money wisely than those that CAN afford everything.

Again, it's just my opinion.

Another thing "time outs" for disciple in my opinion doesn't work either...

Example: Son you should not have done that....I am giving you a "time out" so now go to your room and stay their for one hour and watch !Removed! on your computer or play X-Box 360... That should teach you a lesson :cries:

I strongly believe in the paddle or belt every once in a while, or even just a slap on the hand... Not too much but once in a while...

That also will save a parent many future arguments with their kids and repeat sayings of 'NO" until the fifth one is really heard by the kid... That will gain you respect... Ever see a spoiled brat carrying on at restaurant and the parents can't do a thing about it? That would be a time out kid for you....

Going back to the money part of the conversation, in my opinion, I think not "having money" is a good thing. It can teach you how to be wise with spending money. Those that can afford lots of things don't have to worry about being in debt. They can just go out and spend what they like on a new car, new house, etc. But those that CAN'T afford everything can be better at handling a budget and using money wisely than those that CAN afford everything.

Again, it's just my opinion.

And life is a funny thing. You can have it all one moment, and then the next moment you don't. Kids need to be able to live on a budget whether they think they'll ever need to or not.

EVERYONE needs a budget.

There is a reason why Warren Buffett drives an Oldsmobile, and Sam Walton kicked around in an ole' Chevy truck..

To counter....one name comes to mind....

MC- Hammer.

There is a reason why Warren Buffett drives an Oldsmobile, and Sam Walton kicked around in an ole' Chevy truck..

To counter....one name comes to mind....

MC- Hammer.

Because they are cheap... If I had an endless supply of money I would drive a comfortable expensive car as apposed to a worthless bucket...That makes no sense to me as an adult unless you are using your vaste wealth to aid the less fortunate...

MC Hammer is an idiot for *BLEEP*ing away his wealth...You invest first and then spend according to your monthly income.... He forgot about that concept...