Considering Buying A 2003 Is 300, Need Advice

oles0012

Hi guys...

Currently have a '97 ES300 and love it. 175k miles and still looking and riding great. Anyway, my wife's got a beat up '95 Avalon and for obvious reason's it's just time to get a new car. SO, I'm contemplating getting a used IS 300. One option is a 2003, private seller, 57k miles. Although I lucked out on my car going thru a private seller, I cringe at the idea of possibly buying a lemon (although I have no true reason to at this point since I haven't driven it yet). My question(s) to you all involve the following: are the '03 models reliable, are there any significant defect commonalities these cars have seen that would raise any flags, and lastly, is there anything I should bring as ammunition to the negotiation table, especially having 57k miles on it (i.e.-timing belt/water pump, although it's probably good for another 15k miles). Cliff's notes for the impatient: is this a reliable enough car that I could risk spending $15k on 'as-is'...??

Hi guys...

Currently have a '97 ES300 and love it. 175k miles and still looking and riding great. Anyway, my wife's got a beat up '95 Avalon and for obvious reason's it's just time to get a new car. SO, I'm contemplating getting a used IS 300. One option is a 2003, private seller, 57k miles. Although I lucked out on my car going thru a private seller, I cringe at the idea of possibly buying a lemon (although I have no true reason to at this point since I haven't driven it yet). My question(s) to you all involve the following: are the '03 models reliable, are there any significant defect commonalities these cars have seen that would raise any flags, and lastly, is there anything I should bring as ammunition to the negotiation table, especially having 57k miles on it (i.e.-timing belt/water pump, although it's probably good for another 15k miles). Cliff's notes for the impatient: is this a reliable enough car that I could risk spending $15k on 'as-is'...??

You shouldn't have any issues with it assuming it wasn't abused. 57k on the odo isn't bad either, does the current owner have any maintenance records? Run a carfax, and do the usual 110 point inspection, thats the only advice I could offer. I think your timing belt is good until 90k service, the only things that is due for service is maybe a tranny fluid change, some fresh diff fluid, maybe some new plugs... and check out the suspension ... and of course if it all checks out.. try to bargain it down..saving a couple of hundred wouldn't hurt.

Hi guys...

Be warned, the IS 300 will quickly become the favorite "I drive" car. I sold my 2003 IS 300 to a family here in town. They were replacing a Toyota Avalon for the wife. About a month later he called wanting to know where I got the 4" antenea so they could get one for thier car also, and he went on and on about how surprised he was at the handling and smoothness of the car. He owns an SC 430. He went on to say that while the 430 is more powerful, the 300 would handle circles around it. And now they have had a few " debates" over who gets to drive the IS.

15k for an 03'? Is it a dealer serviced car? If so, get the vin, do the carfax, call the dealer and give them the vin, they will have all the service records on hand for ya. So long as the car has never been hit, and the car checks out, that's a great deal. I sold mine for 22k. and it had 37,300 miles on it.

Cliff's notes for the impatient: is this a reliable enough car that I could risk spending $15k on 'as-is'...??

The 2JZE inline 6 is "bulletproof". This is the motor that they put in the Supra with twin stage 5 turbos and created an amazing 1000 hp ------from 6 cylinders!!!!!!! This has been TRD's racing motor for 10 years. It's a great motor and drivetrain.

The only issue this model has is the stock radio. The disc changer had alot of issues. I never had a problem, but I see it on the forum all the time. But 15K, that is a deal.