E C T What Does This Switch Really Do?

VBdenny

I have played with the E C T button and put it on power. The only thing I notice is that it seems to hold in each gear longer. Does this switch change the engine timing or anything else? Just one of those things I was thinking about.

• 3 months later...

I notice quite a difference when the ECT 'power' thing is ON. Not only does it hold each gear a little longer - but downshifts are noticeably quicker. I often switch to 'power' whenever I'm feeling ... um.... somewhat aggressive!! As for it increasing horsepower - well - yes and no. It doesn't actually increase horsepower - but because it holds each gear a little longer - each shift occurs when the engine it revving more - therefore producing more horsepower. [if that makes sense] Of course - if you 'floor it' - then it doesn't really matter what 'mode' you're in - the transmission will upshift at or very near the readline.

Craig!! :)

what it really does is it turns off 4th gear and makes switching RPM limits higher. eg if in regular mode it was at 2k rpms then with this feature on it will be 3k. but what i noticed that on some cars it disables 4th gear and on some dont. so it means that on some cars it works just like regular overdrive button and on some like a swithcing RPM designer