Finally Drove The Ls460!

Well, I finally broke down and drove the LS460. Loved it, as I have all the previous LS generations. This one is definately firmer, but not in a harsh or bad way and thats with tires I don't know the pressure of. The new readouts and the new nav screen are incredible. The one I drove was the dark red with the tan interior, $73k SWB with ML. Nice, I probably would get that but in silver with a black interior. I'm definately ready for something a little easier to take care of.

Definately on the horizon. I don't know if I'll pull the trigger right now like I'd planned, the market hasn't been great this quarter so far and I may decide to wait until next spring or summer to try and stay as liquid as I can.

I do have to say though, I have an ES350 loaner right now and while the LS460 (and my ES300) are MUCH nicer interiorwise, I was surprised by how similar they ride and drive. The LS is quieter and heavier, and the drivetrain is more refined but the ES is pretty darn close, especially for $25,000 less. I might seriously consider getting another ES too...

LOL, we shall see ;)

If money were no object it would be the LS460 all the way. We'll have to see how they lease out. Last time I checked the LS was about $400 a month more than the ES. If I were to do an ES it would have to be the UL version and those wind up leasing out at about $675 a month with the LS being around $1100.

I also am interested in the one pay lease Lexus has, especially if I could write the whole thing off in one year. So for a 36 month lease you'd be looking at like $21k for the ES and $35k for the LS. I'd have to be able to write the whole thing off in one year though to make it worthwhile.

LOL, we shall see ;)

If money were no object it would be the LS460 all the way. We'll have to see how they lease out. Last time I checked the LS was about $400 a month more than the ES. If I were to do an ES it would have to be the UL version and those wind up leasing out at about $675 a month with the LS being around $1100.

I also am interested in the one pay lease Lexus has, especially if I could write the whole thing off in one year. So for a 36 month lease you'd be looking at like $21k for the ES and $35k for the LS. I'd have to be able to write the whole thing off in one year though to make it worthwhile.

One thing to absolutely check into on the one pay lease is...what happens if you have an accident and the car is totaled. I know with most leases any down payment is gone if the car is totaled...most leases have GAP coverage factored in so you won't owe them anything but you also wouldn't get anything back. I am not sure how it would work with the one pay...would you be refunded a pro rated portion of the money? Hopefully you would not have an accident but that is one thing to factor in...

I had talked to an accountant about leases and he basically told me never put money down on a lease. Write the monthly payment off...

Now if your income can justify a $21k or $35k write off in one year with out getting hit with a AMT then go for it. That's a great write off!

Oh absolutely, that would be the first thing I'd check into. The person I talked to thought it would be a pro-rated refund but we'd have to make sure and it would have to clearly be spelled out in writing.

Yeah, we'd definately have to check on the AMT too.

Would your insurance not cover the replacement costs of getting a new car and the balance is kept on it?

Normally with a lease they just pay a replacement cost to either you or the leasing company. So this should be the same unless you no longer want the same type of car.

ok...so I took my 01 LS430 to get its scheduled maintenance, and they gave me a loaner 07 ES...I was surprised by how smooth it drove and the power was very nice :) Although I did think the interior was rather plain (no nav or anything)...other than the rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive...why would anyone choose the lexus over a loaded avalon for a cheaper price? The "no key to unlock" and push button start spoiled me too.

ANYWAY, so while I am there, I scout out a 07 LS460L for my grandparents (i got my 01 from them and they still have a 05 LS430). Stickered at $79,999 this white with tan leather LS460L (touring sport *bigger brakes/wheels*) made my mouth water. The magazine pics do NOT do it justice, you have to see this in person. He will purchase one within this next week and it makes my 430 seem so inferior *haha*

In addition, I was driving on the interstate in Atlanta yesterday and I am still surprised by the acceleration from 30-80+ in my 01 LS430 as I would merge from the on-ramps...although its not like my ol Supra, it was still VERY fun and made me smile :)

Would your insurance not cover the replacement costs of getting a new car and the balance is kept on it?

Normally with a lease they just pay a replacement cost to either you or the leasing company. So this should be the same unless you no longer want the same type of car.

Not if it is a Lease...remember you do not own the car. The insurance company, if the car is totaled would settle the claim with the owner of the car in this case Lexus or Toyota Motor Credit. The insurance company will pay the company for the value of the car...you will end up not having a car and, any money put down on a traditional lease would be lost.

Look you can see it here... http://www.leaseguide.com/Glossary/downpayment.htm I have also had this happen to a insured too. And most tax advisors will tell you not to put money down on a lease too.

ok...so I took my 01 LS430 to get its scheduled maintenance, and they gave me a loaner 07 ES...I was surprised by how smooth it drove and the power was very nice :) Although I did think the interior was rather plain (no nav or anything)...other than the rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive...why would anyone choose the lexus over a loaded avalon for a cheaper price? The "no key to unlock" and push button start spoiled me too.

ANYWAY, so while I am there, I scout out a 07 LS460L for my grandparents (i got my 01 from them and they still have a 05 LS430). Stickered at $79,999 this white with tan leather LS460L (touring sport *bigger brakes/wheels*) made my mouth water. The magazine pics do NOT do it justice, you have to see this in person. He will purchase one within this next week and it makes my 430 seem so inferior *haha*

In addition, I was driving on the interstate in Atlanta yesterday and I am still surprised by the acceleration from 30-80+ in my 01 LS430 as I would merge from the on-ramps...although its not like my ol Supra, it was still VERY fun and made me smile :)

Are you going to get the 05 LS from your grandparents? You could give them your 01 to trade in instead of trading in the 05! Sounds like a good idea, right? I traded an 03 (same body style as your 01) for an 05, and LOVE it! ;)