Birds View Nav?

es3502007

I recently test drove a G35. Nice car, still love my ES more. One need feature was the birds eye veiw on the nav system. For finding actual locations....i think the plan view (which is what WE see on our nav systems) is easier to follow...however....on a late evening drive that birds view is pretty cool.

Wondering if Lexus could accomplish that view with just DVD upgrades? I know most new aftermarket nav's have this feature.

I recently test drove a G35. Nice car, still love my ES more. One need feature was the birds eye veiw on the nav system. For finding actual locations....i think the plan view (which is what WE see on our nav systems) is easier to follow...however....on a late evening drive that birds view is pretty cool.

Wondering if Lexus could accomplish that view with just DVD upgrades? I know most new aftermarket nav's have this feature.

I traded in my G35 (with Nav) to buy the ES for my wife, and now drive her old FX35 (with Nav), and the Bird View is a VERY cool feature. The best part about it is that you can see well down the road without zooming out like you have to do with a plan view. Very nice, every navigation system should have it. I end up doing a lot of zooming and scrolling with the ES that's unnecessary when I'm in the FX.

I hope its as simple as a DVD upgrade and we can get that feature in the future. Im temped to call Navteq and see if they are working on such an upgrade. I'm sure they are for future Nav systems for Lexus, question is, will they only be for newer vehicles?

Maybe a letter to Lexus stating the need to catch up with thier competion and make it available to DVD nav systems easily compared to the hard drive Infiniti system. Or even a letter to Navteq and state "hey...maybe a way to make a few future dollars on customers that already have the system?

I'd be glad to pay the $300 for an upgrade like that...hell i paid $54,000 canadian for the car..whats another $300. :wacko:

I think it may actually be a patented feature. Thought I read that somewhere.

That said, I think if you look at both systems overall, you'll find that the Lexus system (at least compared to the system in my '05 G35) is superior. I did test drive a new G, but I haven't spent enough time with the next-gen system in the new Infiniti's to know if that still holds.

On what grounds did you guys base that the birds eye view was a better feature than the map?

BMW use that but Mercedes and Audi dont, so why would you guys assume it to be a superior form of navigation and think that it will be intergrated into the lexus?

The bird view is pretty to look it but from my own experience from my freinds 750LI its definetly not as practical as the map ones.

On what grounds did you guys base that the birds eye view was a better feature than the map?

BMW use that but Mercedes and Audi dont, so why would you guys assume it to be a superior form of navigation and think that it will be intergrated into the lexus?

The bird view is pretty to look it but from my own experience from my freinds 750LI its definetly not as practical as the map ones.

i agree its not better for actual navigating..just nice when you do know where your going. Its just a more eye pleasing view to look at.

I dont know about a patent on the birds eye veiw though?. All the newer after market units all have that view.

It's very doubtful that Lexus would give you this type of upgrade since they'll probably hold off this feature until the 2009 models. <_<

2009 when the new model is due? I called my local lexus dealer and he said an upgrade is due soon. What it is he's not aware but lexus did say one would be avaible spring of 07....now they were told it will be early in the new year. Who knows.....one thing my age was taught me...nothing is free or easy...least for me anyway

I think it may actually be a patented feature. Thought I read that somewhere.

That said, I think if you look at both systems overall, you'll find that the Lexus system (at least compared to the system in my '05 G35) is superior. I did test drive a new G, but I haven't spent enough time with the next-gen system in the new Infiniti's to know if that still holds.

I would be very surprised if we ever saw this feature integrated into the Lexus. I've spent some time comparing the Infiniti and the Lexus system, and IMHO the Lexus system is far superior, especially the new system with the high res screen.

The nav updates come out every October, but they're just data upgrades. They include roads and POIs but they don't make any changes to the system itself. If they were to come out with a birds eye view, you'd have to replace the system in your car or just trade up to a newer car to get it.

I personally don't see anything appealing with the bird's eye view.

I personally don't see anything appealing with the bird's eye view.

Well, like I said, I do think the Lexus system is overall superior, but if it had the Bird View I would NEVER use the plan view again. I have both options in the Infiniti and I NEVER use the plan view as it does nothing but constrict your view down the road when compared to the Bird View. Choosing to see LESS about where you're going just doesn't make any sense to me so I'm really not sure why they even have plan view as an option in the Infiniti.