Clean Engine Compartment

Ok,

I have seen the pictures and I need to know! How do you guys keep your motor and all looking so good???

What do you use? Degreaser? I heard that it is not good for any rubber tubing, is that true?

Let me know, cause my powerplant needs some cleaning, big time..... :wacko:

Thanks,

Joel

This is one thing that I've never really been comfortable doing myself. I do let a detailer do it from time to time though...

Most people use a neutral cleaner like Simple Green that wont harm plastic parts, then spray down and go to work with a rag.

I clean my engine every time I change the oil. Keeping it clean is far easier than cleaning an engine after years of neglect. It involves a lot of time and often several cold refreshments. A TV on hand is also helpful. Luckily I have a refrigerator and a TV in my garage right in front of my Lexus. I use a rag, elbow grease, and Amour ALL. Usually I disassemble many of the covers (see pictures in LS400 gallery) and use a shop vac, old paintbrush, and small wire toothbrush looking brushes (brass, steel, and nylon). It takes a lot of time that no detail person wopuld ever spend. Here is how most of them clean an engine. They steam clean the engine and spray it with clear lacquer. I know thats how most of the used car sales places do it. Quick and it looks good when a customet pops the hood. I don't like spraying steam, water or lacquer on my engines so I use time. I can watch TV while I'm cleaning and it's a great evening of entertainment learning how everything fits together. I have also found many small things that need attention over the years using this technique.

Steve and Denny,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will take a day and clean this bad boy out. I have always liked getting intoan all day project, tehy seem to sooth me. I will get busy with the brushes, rags, and simple green. I will take some pics and let you know how it all comes out.

Thanks,

Joel

i use a dual product from cd2

it is a degreaser

alsmost any will work like gunk it is petroleum based

but i am not going to let it sit on the car from longer than the 15minutes it takes to work

i cover the alternator first with a plastic garbage bag

spray the degreaser

then power wash it off

the engine turns out real nice

then the second car is the clear coating that is hard like paint

it goes on after and make the car look real good especially for shows

keeps the engine bay real clean also

about 20 for both cans

look at the es 300 gallery for pics of my clean engine

you'll be suprised

i was

It more fun than a day at Disney World! I'd probably be inclined to do what SK said IF the engine was really greasy and dirty. It does work and it looks good, but I still am really afraid to spray water and degreaser all over. I did a Chevy once and by the time I was done., the engine was clean and all the dirt and grease was on me!

Yeah, I looked like a grease monkey but I'd never post THAT picture!

the main thing to be careful of with power washers is the electrical components

we all know there are way to many in there

just cover tehm up and wipe em down after

my alt looks real dirty still but looks as clean as the rest of the engien as it is lower down in the shadows

go ahead and get dirty :o

and clean that crap out of there :lol:

cleaned a engine in a 92 acura legend once and just used a hose and degreaser and covered the alternator and anything else i found electrical but afterwards i was driving the car and boom the alternator went bad.so i replaced it figuring water must of got into it but i swore i covered it good and really didnt hose it that much.

anyway put the new alternator in and the next day boom the alternator went bad again!so now i was really *BLEEP*ed because it cost like 175 bucks!so luckly i was able to take it back and they gave me another one for free since i just bought it and told them there must of been something wrong with it.but guess what happen again!

yea the next new one went bad too!so i gave it to a local mechanic and he couldnt find what was blowing the alternator so then i brought it to acura dealer and they too couldnt find what was doing it.the dame thing never stoped blowing alternators!so i junked it a couple months later!

before that happened to me with the acura i once hosed a ford taures too and that blew the map sensor witch cost me almost 300 bucks!it was bucking like hell after i started it from hosing it.

moral of the story is i wouldnt come close to ever putting a hose under my cars hoods again!i use alot of rags and cleaners and it looks extremely clean under there.i do hose and degrease underneath and a little bit of the motor just to make sure its all clean!just becarefull using a hose under there because its like playing with a bomb sometimes!even my detailer said this to me!he uses some kinds of steaming thing but i never let hime do it because mines perfectly clean! :D

I asked a grease monkey about cleaning my engine recently and his opinion was that its an engine and is supposed to get dirty over time and basically its not supposed to be "clean", thus he doesn't recommend doing anything to them. Risk just might not be worth the reward. B)

yea after my experiences i wont come close to putting a hose under my hood!.i just put hid in there too so who wants to get water in them ballasts and short the system?no me thats for sure!i use alot of rags and degreaser and like i said its fine and clean! :D

• 3 months later...

Have you guys ever tried WD-40? I used this on a previous car before and was really amazed how it looked and how easy the gunk sprayed off. The engine was pretty dirty and I just used the can without the long red attachment and went to work. Let it sit for a little bit and then I began to wipe it all down. I know it will leave a little residue on the components but it's safe for electrical and will help prevent water forming which will cause rust. :)

I clean my engines 2-3 times a year. I've not had a problem since 1978 when I was driving an old FIAT Spyder that did not like having a wet distributor. Since then, I always dried after washing with a compressor or a vacuum (http://www.lexuscarcare.com/mvc-vnb-83ba.html).

If you're not familiar with engine cleaning, you might want to start here: http://www.lexuscarcare.com/inf-engine.html

BTW: I recently started using a product from Meguiar's called Engine Kote. It's only available in their professional line, but it's well worth getting. It's a great replacement for the wax the manufacturer sprays on the engine at the factory. It comes in gallons and you simply pour it off into a sprayer. After cleaning and allowing to dry, spray on everything under the hood and allow to dry... DO NOT WIPE! Your engine will be perfect.

David,

Is the stuff you spray and let dry like lacquer?

I also use WD-40, and sometimes a rag with light machine oil. I don't leave it on because it attracts dirt.

Last, I think anyone who intentionally sprays water on their engine is quite brave. I'd rather have it dirty then wet (although my engine is spotless). Way too many electrical wires and connection to take a chance. 99% of the time it's no problem, but you just heard from the other 1% and their report,