Thinking Of Keeping 2001 Gs 300

I've owned a Silver/Black 2001 gs300 for 3 years. I bought it certified used 2/04. My certification runs out 2/07 and I have 80,000 miles on it. I am at that point where I normally sell and move on but I do love my GS. I've been studying all the great feedback on the forum, you guys are a great help.

Bottom line, would you keep it? What wear items am I facing? Should I go to the dealer now and give them a list of things to check that would be covered under certification? If so what areas should I focus on? Thanks!

Sorry. This forum can be a bit slow. When you get a response, it's usually helpful, though.

I'm new to Lexus, so can't really answer your question. Personally, I'd keep the car though. I did lot's of research on these cars before buying mine a couple months ago, and plan on keeping it way past 100k miles. They seem pretty solid and trouble free.

Hello Athens, I used to have an 01 GS300, that I bought with 42k miles in 03/04 and drove it until it was totalled in 01/07 at 90k miles. In that period, the car was relatively troublefree with the exception of an O2 sensor, and two door lock actuators went bad. I believe the biggest service you have coming up is the replacement of the timing belt, water pump, idler bearings, camshaft seals etc. at 90k miles. I loved my GS, I was planning on keeping it for many more miles than 90k, but hey things happen. If the car is in good shape, and you like it, I'd say keep it :)

• 3 weeks later...

hi athens,

I have a 02 gs300 and I love the car. Its getting up around 80,000 miles now but still running smooth. I'm planning on keeping it for as long as I can. I love this car. I've heard nothing but great talk about how long toyota engines last. My mom used to drive a toyota camary when I was a kid and she had that car all the way up to 300,000 miles. I'm hopeing to break her record with my lexus. As long as the car has been serviced and well taken care of I don't see why you would want to give it up. Good luck with your decision.

i have a 2001 gs300 and i've had it for almost 3 years. it is at 60k right now and still running strong. just be careful to get all your service done on time and you'll be good for up to 300K. the lexus platform is pretty much bulletproof!

• 6 months later...
i have a 2001 gs300 and i've had it for almost 3 years. it is at 60k right now and still running strong. just be careful to get all your service done on time and you'll be good for up to 300K. the lexus platform is pretty much bulletproof!

What type of rims are those and where do u get them?

Without a doubt keep it. I bought my 02 GS300 brand new, and have nearly 104K on it. I have had every service completed on time, and zero major issues. Normal stuff not related to car quality like new battery, exhaust (cause I am an idiot), etc. Other than that, outstanding!! I will buy a new GS when necessary, but probably drive this one unitl it konks out.

Without a doubt keep it. I bought my 02 GS300 brand new, and have nearly 104K on it. I have had every service completed on time, and zero major issues. Normal stuff not related to car quality like new battery, exhaust (cause I am an idiot), etc. Other than that, outstanding!! I will buy a new GS when necessary, but probably drive this one unitl it konks out.

bad choice man. listen to someone who has experience. i got gs300 a gs400 a gs430. going from a gs300 to a gs430 is a world of difference. i personally cant drive the same car for more than 2 years, the gs400 was the lastest car i bought, it was like a year and 3 months ago and im already looking at other cars. the way i see it is living 3 years with one car is enough. dont waste another 3 years with the same car. theres 100s of awesome vehicles out there that you would bond better. sorry gs lovers but u gotta look realize man ur gonna die soon. lifes too short to stay with 1 thing. go out. have fun. try different things. travel, see the world. buy a yacht. go rent an exotic. get drunk and pass out at the beach. wake up early go watch the sunrise. hell, go buy a german car. go follow your dream buddy. and if u respond back saying you've accomplished ur dream then i guess ur dream wasnt good enough cause youre driving a 02 gs300.

post-35275-1204344774_thumb.jpg

bad choice man. listen to someone who has experience. i got gs300 a gs400 a gs430. going from a gs300 to a gs430 is a world of difference. i personally cant drive the same car for more than 2 years, the gs400 was the lastest car i bought, it was like a year and 3 months ago and im already looking at other cars. the way i see it is living 3 years with one car is enough. dont waste another 3 years with the same car. theres 100s of awesome vehicles out there that you would bond better. sorry gs lovers but u gotta look realize man ur gonna die soon. lifes too short to stay with 1 thing. go out. have fun. try different things. travel, see the world. buy a yacht. go rent an exotic. get drunk and pass out at the beach. wake up early go watch the sunrise. hell, go buy a german car. go follow your dream buddy. and if u respond back saying you've accomplished ur dream then i guess ur dream wasnt good enough cause youre driving a 02 gs300.

Uh..........ok.................sure <_<

Sorry. This forum can be a bit slow. When you get a response, it's usually helpful, though.

I'm new to Lexus, so can't really answer your question. Personally, I'd keep the car though. I did lot's of research on these cars before buying mine a couple months ago, and plan on keeping it way past 100k miles. They seem pretty solid and trouble free.

I have an 00 with 110K on it. The only real thing you will spend money on is the timing belt at suggested 90K. I went to 100 and the belt looked like it could go for at least another 25k. That will cost you around 800-900 bucks since they replace the water pump as well as the timing belt. (Have to take the pump off to get to the belt.) If you do it yourself, the pump is around 230 and the belt is 30.

Uh..........ok.................sure <_<

rickgus, You know what they say, There is one in every basket...........To each there own.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Athens, I used to have an 01 GS300, that I bought with 42k miles in 03/04 and drove it until it was totalled in 01/07 at 90k miles. In that period, the car was relatively troublefree with the exception of an O2 sensor, and two door lock actuators went bad. I believe the biggest service you have coming up is the replacement of the timing belt, water pump, idler bearings, camshaft seals etc. at 90k miles. I loved my GS, I was planning on keeping it for many more miles than 90k, but hey things happen. If the car is in good shape, and you like it, I'd say keep it :)

Hi Ray did you change O2 senser yourself? Toyota O2 seems 50% reliable. I used to have one dead on 33K.

Mine GS300 05 bought a months ago, feel it may not as robust as corolla/camry. My shop asked me to change all struts, yet dealer changes only one - even a car is in warranty the dealer will try to keep minimum repair. I'll try 3rd shop to check the car.

I bought repair manual, the timing belt change is very complex, or over complex. The work also needs a press machine.

athens,

I'd say if you like the car keep it. Mine is a 01 gs300 with 115k. I got it right at 90k and had to pay quite a bit for that service and the only problem i have had is one lock actuator dieing a few weeks ago. Apparently thats a pretty common problem. Otherwise the car is perfect and I am going to drive it until it falls apart (which hopefully will be after college and a job and i have accomplished all my dreams)....