Speakers For The 1990 Ls 400

Meshblorg

Long story short, I got a 1990 Lexus LS 400 as a gift. However one of the previous owners, unknown to me, possibly blew out the speakers.

The only two that barely work are two tiny ones (tweeters?) in the front next to the sideview mirrors. However they sound blown out and perform horribly (static sounding and very faint).

My friend says I need new speakers.

My Question to you all is:

1. How many speakers are there?

-> I counted 7. Two mini ones in the front. 1 medium sized ones in each door (4 total). And one big giant one in the rear behind the rear-seat headrests. I'm not sure if the one behind the rear headsets is a subwoofer but its larger than the rest and has no duplicate).

2. What size are each?

->I will need to know the size of each if I am to purchase replacements. Size in inches would be helpful!

3. What speaker BRAND replacements would you personally recommend and why?

->So far I was recommended the website www.crutchfield.com . I was also recommended to get JBL or Bose. I didn't find any Bose on the site though. Still looking for JBL. On crutchfield it says "You'll have to custom-mount tweeters, which usually requires drilling holes and running new wires."

All your help will be greatly appreciated!!! I would really love this car to bump music as well as it looks and drives! AIM = Meshblorg

Its been a while since I've changed mines, but if I remember correctly each door speaker is 4", and the big one in the rear thats the subwoofer, I haven't changed that one. Those are all component speakers, with individual crossovers.I've replaced all my speakers with MB Quarts, which are pretty up there, the sound is flawless, but it's not the kinda sound where you'll get that booming base, if you want that you need to upgrade the sub as well. I got my speakers on ebay, even tho you need to be careful, cause there are alot of fakes out there, if you want peace of mind, you can go with Crutchfield, but their prices are a bit high, Good luck.:cheers:

Its been a while since I've changed mines, but if I remember correctly each door speaker is 4", and the big one in the rear thats the subwoofer, I haven't changed that one. Those are all component speakers, with individual crossovers.I've replaced all my speakers with MB Quarts, which are pretty up there, the sound is flawless, but it's not the kinda sound where you'll get that booming base, if you want that you need to upgrade the sub as well. I got my speakers on ebay, even tho you need to be careful, cause there are alot of fakes out there, if you want peace of mind, you can go with Crutchfield, but their prices are a bit high, Good luck.:cheers:

Crutchfield.com is saying that the component speakers in the four doors are 5'' and the only one it sells are Polk for my car.

Do you know what size the subwoofer is in the back? And I'm not sure how to measure a speaker or subwoofer. Is it by the black part of it inner rubber thing?

I have replaced all four door speakers with 4" ones as well- I used JBL Power speakers, and they sound great. Replacing the door speakers wasn't that difficult, but the door panels were a big pain what with all the wiring and clips. I didn't need to replace the tweeters, but my sub is probably ready for replacement one of these days. I believe the sub is an 8", but I am not 100% positive. Good luck!

I have replaced all four door speakers with 4" ones as well- I used JBL Power speakers, and they sound great. Replacing the door speakers wasn't that difficult, but the door panels were a big pain what with all the wiring and clips. I didn't need to replace the tweeters, but my sub is probably ready for replacement one of these days. I believe the sub is an 8", but I am not 100% positive. Good luck!

Do you know if I'm going to have to open up the entire door or just somehow pop off the speaker covers? Do you know where I can find out my subwoofer size for sure? Or how to measure it myself with a ruler/measuring tape?

Also, how to pop off the mesh on the tweeters?

I doubt if your problem is with the speakers - it would be extraordinary for 5 of the 7 speakers to fail. Something else is going on - perhaps with the headunit or amp.

Are you talking about the amplifier int he trunk next to the subwoofer?

I doubt if your problem is with the speakers - it would be extraordinary for 5 of the 7 speakers to fail. Something else is going on - perhaps with the headunit or amp.

The amp in the trunk is soley for the subwoofer, Nothing else.

there's two? god damn!

Do you know where the other one is possibly? And how to get to it? I appreciate all your guys' help. I really do. Thank you for the patience and time for answering my questions.

there's two? god damn!

Do you know where the other one is possibly? And how to get to it? I appreciate all your guys' help. I really do. Thank you for the patience and time for answering my questions.

If you have a nak system I beleive there are 2. Pioneer 1, If my memory serves me.

Yes, The pioneer has the amp in the headunit.

there's two? god damn!

If you have a nak system I beleive there are 2. Pioneer 1, If my memory serves me.

Mines the nakamichi one. Would anyone happen to know where its located and what it'll look like (size etc)?

there's two? god damn!

Mines the nakamichi one. Would anyone happen to know where its located and what it'll look like (size etc)?

I would check under the front passenger seat. Move the seat all the way forward and you should be able to see it from behind. I'm not sure if that's where the nakamichi amp is, or if it even has two amps, but that's where my pioneer amp was.

there's two? god damn!

The amp is located in the trunk, mounted underneath the "package tray" (rear deck)on the driver's side.

The amp is located in the trunk, mounted underneath the "package tray" (rear deck)on the driver's side.

Does that power the door speakers and the sub as well?

The sub has it's own amp.

Does that power the door speakers and the sub as well?

The sub has it's own amp.

Is it this silver box on the left?:

1282828imgkq5.jpg

That's the bottom of the nakamichi sub:

1282829imgvn3.jpg

This is the view from the trunk when I pull back the carpet thing:

1282830imgjr3.jpg

Sorry for the late reply... but I had to take the door panels off to do a good job on the wiring. My car has the Nakamichi, and I heard it is pretty common for the door speakers to go bad after a while (plus the car is 15 years old). Can't help you on the tweeters, though, because mine still work fine so I didn't replace them. I did find that the rear speaker cutouts were pretty shallow- it was a tight squeeze getting the speaker(s) in there, although mine have relatively big magnets on them. If you end up replacing the sub, I would be curious how it went....

From the photo, those black wires that goes to the green and grey connector, are they for the subwoofer or the fuel pump?

They are for the fuel level sender units. One for the little orange light, the other for the gauge reading.

• 2 weeks later...
From the photo, those black wires that goes to the green and grey connector, are they for the subwoofer or the fuel pump?

They are for the fuel level sender units. One for the little orange light, the other for the gauge reading.

Does anybody know how is the subwoofer connected to the amp? Where do the woofer wires go? My subwoofer is not working because it is not powered. There are simply two loose wires hanging down from the woofer terminals without any connectors at the other end.