Why It's Wet? Leak?

Hello all,

Some how it doesn't look good to me.

I do service myself and saw it about 6 months ago and now, when I changed oil I see it too.

Is something leaking?

Should I show it to Lexus service, my car under warranty (ES 2004)

What do you think?

Thanks.

post-9007-1179632442_thumb.jpg

post-9007-1179632480_thumb.jpg

Well it's either leaking fluid, or it's venting it.

In the event of a transmissin fluid over-fill. Asian-warner is smart enough to install a vent, so the tranny just dumps out fluid. Most people don't know that. I like the feature personally.

At any rate, yeah I'd go back & complain of leaking transmission fluid. It's under warranty after all. :) Hell let them front a $1000 bill, they're treate lol!

Well it's either leaking fluid, or it's venting it.

In the event of a transmissin fluid over-fill. Asian-warner is smart enough to install a vent, so the tranny just dumps out fluid. Most people don't know that. I like the feature personally.

At any rate, yeah I'd go back & complain of leaking transmission fluid. It's under warranty after all. :) Hell let them front a $1000 bill, they're treate lol!

I agree, If it's under warranty bring it in and let them figure it out while you drive a nice new loaner.

Pictures can't tell but my transaxle has some sort of tarry looking factory coating, looks like a sort of undercoating, I was told is was to aid in heat dispersion, radiating outward from the gearbox/diff'l.

Pictures can't tell but my transaxle has some sort of tarry looking factory coating, looks like a sort of undercoating, I was told is was to aid in heat dispersion, radiating outward from the gearbox/diff'l.

First time heard of this undercoating would do heat dispersion. I have only heard of heat retention with coatings. Cooling requires involvements of moving fluid (coolant) or air.

Anyway, the pictures show you got some kind of a leak there. If the fluid pan and gasket is causing the leak, you will see the fluid running down the pan.

When was the last time you fill the tranny? Typically overfill will leak out of the vent, but shouldn't take more than 10 days or so to leak out. The fluid from the pictures seem to be fresh fluid. Old fluid would have dried by now after you drove a while and the heat drying it out.

Keep us posted!

thanks for the reply

I took pictures before oil change

I wipe out all I can and will check again in several days

it doesn't look like it comes from tranny plug :unsure:

yes, I'll keep posted

Could be the seal from the engine to the tranny or the seal on the cv joint/axle. Hard to tell from the pic. Also looks like it has been worked on as it has a liquid gasket but it could be the pic.

Could be the seal from the engine to the tranny or the seal on the cv joint/axle. Hard to tell from the pic. Also looks like it has been worked on as it has a liquid gasket but it could be the pic.

It does look like someone worked on this car. It appears to have some major work done at the front. The yellow marking is clearly visible. Normally new cars don't have these markings, unless it has some major worked done.

It does look like someone worked on this car. It appears to have some major work done at the front. The yellow marking is clearly visible. Normally new cars don't have these markings, unless it has some major worked done.

a year ago I complained about transmission lag and Lexus servicehad my car for 2 days and I don't know if they did anything to tranny, where service applied newer f/w to ECU. But, it didn't help much with lag.

I think this yellow mark is factory mark - isn't it?

a year ago I complained about transmission lag and Lexus servicehad my car for 2 days and I don't know if they did anything to tranny, where service applied newer f/w to ECU. But, it didn't help much with lag.

I think this yellow mark is factory mark - isn't it?

your service receipt will tell you exactly what they did.

factory installation do not need to mark the car. they know exactly and precisely where to install each part at the assembly line.

a second look at your pictures, the yellow marking is located on the suspension system. looks like your suspension has been worked on. a technician needed to make a mark, so he/she knows where to install the part was removed.

• 3 weeks later...

I cleaned as I can and for 2 days it was kinda dry, however I checked it today again and it's wet :cries:

post-9007-1181190484_thumb.jpg

I'll go tomorrow to Lexus service and will show them those pics and ask to check for it

for almost 2 years it was Ok .... can it start leaking after 2-3 years?

I cleaned as I can and for 2 days it was kinda dry, however I checked it today again and it's wet :cries:

post-9007-1181190484_thumb.jpg

I'll go tomorrow to Lexus service and will show them those pics and ask to check for it

for almost 2 years it was Ok .... can it start leaking after 2-3 years?

Too hard to tell where the leak is from your latest picture. If you put your camera up by the axle and with better lighting, we can probably see the leak better.

Yes, you are leaking quite a bit of tranny fluid too.

Thats what warranties are for, no big deal just go have them look at it.

Are you getting any spotting underneath the car when its parked overnight.

no, no dripping. otherwise I'd take it to Lexus right a way.

At beginning I though it's just dirt, so I clean it and check the next day and it was looking good, so I just forgot for a time about it ...

I'm not pro mechanic so I didn't know how it has to be.

thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

update - I went to Lexus service and they replaced my A/T :cheers:

they told that Lexus don't recommend to reseal A/T by service, so in a week I got my car back.

They also updated f/w in ECU - it works better now, but looks like I lost 1 MPG as result

so good to have Lexus warranty :cheers:

post-9007-1183448008_thumb.jpg