Modifying The Is 300

smooth1

Hey everyone. Im brand new to the forums and i currently own a jeep liberty which has been thoroughly modified into an off-road/performance car. I finally realized that no matter how hard i tried, i couldnt make this car into a performance vehicle because...well...its a jeep liberty. :rolleyes: so im going to sell the jeep and buy the is300 because it looked so clean and i had heard great reviews about it from people who had them. Sporty, luxurious, realiable, and customizable.

In any case, Smooth...i sat here and read this thread for 3 hours straight and it was like reading a really good book with plot twists and cliffhangers and low times and high times...basically it was amazing watching ur is go from nothing to an m3 killing monster machine. Fantastic job and way to document the whole process. Im extremely interested in this car now and im dying to get my hands on it. ALTHOUGH...i dont have a wallet that seemingly has money beamed into it from god so i have to go for the smaller mods first like the srt intake, megan headers, tanabe exhaust, tein coloivers, rims, tires etc. But u have totally inspired me to create a beast out of this car. :D

So now that u have a daily driver and a stock is300, when do u think ur gunna start creating a new behemoth out of the 300?? and i gota say, ur original IS was starting to become more of a race track car anyways with the plans u had for it so its probably good that u opened up and bought i fast daly driver and a balls out track car.

Awesome job, regards.

Hi all,

I just bought a 2002 Is300 with 35k and its a 5 speed, now i have always loved this car is has stance that is just awesome to look at. It seems though whenever I would see one for sale the majority of them were automatic and have been ragged out, so when I found this one with a dent ding scratch and a 5 speed which i have never seen I bought it. Know i need help, the car has a SRT intake on it and set of coilovers (not sure what kind) that give it the perfect stance and handling, what I need help is figuring out how to give extra HP without going crazy, I would love to put a turbo on it, but to me this car with only 35k miles on it, its basically brand new and I dont want to do that until it has more miles on it> I would love some advice on some things I can do to make it a bit quicker. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey Altezza117, Thanks for the props! Welcome to the LOC!

The 300 is going to be a track only car. Once you get up over I would say 600 whp, maintaining streetability starts to become an issue. I mean, yeah, you can, but why???? LOL!! Nothing like having to do 55 in a pack of traffic with 800+ whp on the ball of your foot! It's torcher when you know all you have to do is crack the throttle and all these jerks can become an instant distant memory. :pirate:

I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed reading the thread, it's those comments that made doing it worth it.

Hey everyone. Im brand new to the forums and i currently own a jeep liberty which has been thoroughly modified into an off-road/performance car. I finally realized that no matter how hard i tried, i couldnt make this car into a performance vehicle because...well...its a jeep liberty. so im going to sell the jeep and buy the is300 because it looked so clean and i had heard great reviews about it from people who had them. Sporty, luxurious, realiable, and customizable.

I also had a Ford Explorer............600+ rwhp, dropping 1/4 miles in the 13's. One night at the track and guy came up and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I have a video floating around here someplace. But your right, it's still an Explorer.

So what are the plans so far? You already put the mods on that you listed above? Or is that the list of intentions?

Hi all,

I just bought a 2002 Is300 with 35k and its a 5 speed, now i have always loved this car is has stance that is just awesome to look at. It seems though whenever I would see one for sale the majority of them were automatic and have been ragged out, so when I found this one with a dent ding scratch and a 5 speed which i have never seen I bought it. Know i need help, the car has a SRT intake on it and set of coilovers (not sure what kind) that give it the perfect stance and handling, what I need help is figuring out how to give extra HP without going crazy, I would love to put a turbo on it, but to me this car with only 35k miles on it, its basically brand new and I dont want to do that until it has more miles on it> I would love some advice on some things I can do to make it a bit quicker. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the LOC foxxracing!

Well, I would start with seperating mods into 2 catagories. Show mods and go mods. Then just decide what you want more of first. If dollars are an issue, then just focus on one or the other and keep in mind, it's a build in progress. Take your time and you'll get there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My offsets were 40 mm. But the rims were 8 inches wide. If you go 9 inches, you'll have to stagger it and go with 8's on the front. And if you lower it, you might have an issue there also.

I have found that the weight of the rim is in direct proportion to the dollars spent x's 100. <_<

It's stupid how much rims can get. But, you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's good that you like the stock rims. You can save that money and spend it somewhere else on the car then. ;)

and you have a dog that chews on rims?????? I have to ask,,, what kind of dog do you have?

Talkin bout rimss. If I get 18 inches would if really effect the racing, drag racing n drifting? Im jus curios b\c heard it was better for the car. and one more question it would be nesseray to lower the car would it?

No, going from 17'' rims to 18'' rims won't change anything. But what are you looking to do with the car? Drag racing set ups and drifting setups are completely different from each other. In drag racing you want as much grip as possible and offsets to keep the car stable, and in drifting you want alot less grip and offset rims to promote oversteer. Not to mention the suspensions setting would be completely different as well. As for lowering the car, that is up to you. Lowering does help lower the center of gravity of the car and help limit some of the body roll, but if your talking about performance, then your talking about a coilover suspension system which would be fully adjustable in which you can tune the suspension to your driving style.

• 4 months later...

I just purchased a 2004 IS 300 with 38,000 miles on it for 14k. I spent the better part of my day at work today reading this thread. I know you have heard it a thousand times but I have to say you really put a nice set-up together. I wish I had half the talent. Maybe one day i'll be bold enough to replace the intake.

Thanks

I just purchased a 2004 IS 300 with 38,000 miles on it for 14k. I spent the better part of my day at work today reading this thread. I know you have heard it a thousand times but I have to say you really put a nice set-up together. I wish I had half the talent. Maybe one day i'll be bold enough to replace the intake.

Thanks

Thanks. :)

I just love cars alot!! ;)

• 1 month later...
Car is washed. It's so shiny, that in some pics, you can see me as a reflection. Enjoy.

Parking17 wanted to ask what brand is that trunk spoiler you have there and from where did you get it? it looks neat! links would be nice too!

nice car by the way ;)

Thank you for the compliment. Sorry it took so long to get back. I haven't been on here for a while. With the economy, my work has nearly doubled, leaving less time for play.

The spoiler came with the car, from the showroom at the dealership. It can most likely be ordered from Lexus, as I have seen them on a few others. When I bought the car, there was a mark up for the wheels and the spoiler.

Welcome to the Lexus club!!!!

• 1 month later...

How is life on the direct diagonal? I keep thinking about vacation in the sunny spot and wonder about revisiting Fort Lauderdale and Cay West. Is the economy killing you? I haven't done a thing to my car besides an o2 sensor and regular maintanance. I keep shopping the turbo kit, but six grand is a big chunk. I would much rather spend that kind of coin to find a palm tree outside of my motel room door.

I dont know if you voted for the new sherrif, but the result made all of us in Canada a little more proud of the good old U,S of Eh. I don't know if a southern man needs me around anyhow but I still like to visit.

One of my skippers bought a brand new VolksWagen girly car. Side by each the old 300 sat on the pavement with pretty much the same stance. The german car had a fancy roof that took up the whole trunk. And then I hit the gas with my lefty on the brakes, should have been there to see his eyes open up, Two weeks with a moron at the helm and two seconds to leave him behind. Priceless.

The last thing I saw was his two litre trunk badge.

Can you make picture frames on line, and would that be cost effective for me? I have a great photo that needs a wrapper.

Cheers Smoothie

How is life on the direct diagonal? I keep thinking about vacation in the sunny spot and wonder about revisiting Fort Lauderdale and Cay West. Is the economy killing you? I haven't done a thing to my car besides an o2 sensor and regular maintanance. I keep shopping the turbo kit, but six grand is a big chunk. I would much rather spend that kind of coin to find a palm tree outside of my motel room door.

I dont know if you voted for the new sherrif, but the result made all of us in Canada a little more proud of the good old U,S of Eh. I don't know if a southern man needs me around anyhow but I still like to visit.

One of my skippers bought a brand new VolksWagen girly car. Side by each the old 300 sat on the pavement with pretty much the same stance. The german car had a fancy roof that took up the whole trunk. And then I hit the gas with my lefty on the brakes, should have been there to see his eyes open up, Two weeks with a moron at the helm and two seconds to leave him behind. Priceless.

The last thing I saw was his two litre trunk badge.

Can you make picture frames on line, and would that be cost effective for me? I have a great photo that needs a wrapper.

Cheers Smoothie

Hey rbyoung, how have you been? Whenever I go to the coast I often think of you and wonder how your doing. It's good to hear from you.

The weather here has been great I must say. 60's at night and high 70's low 80's during the day. Fall, Winter and Spring is why I live here. The summers get a bit grueling with mid 90's and high humidities, but that's 3 maybe 4 months out of the year. The rest is great. If you ever make it here, we have to meet up for a drink. I know all the good spots! LOL!!

Obama seems to be doing a great job so far. I did vote for him, but I wasn't as sure then as I am now about it. Hopefully he can right enouph wrongs to turn us around. It's good we as a nation did something right for a change. We really needed it.

Hahaha,, I would have loved to be there for that. So many people have no idea just how far advanced some of these cars are engineered over others. Lexus did the first IS as a test car and used alot of what they learned from the Supra, one of the all time legends. While the IS is no Supra, it's still twice the car most others even coming off the line today will ever be. I saw this commercial for Subaru where this person has a "Subaru cemetery." They show about 8 or 10 cars sitting in this field and the narrator is talking about not wanting to crush such a great car that has been a part of his life for the last 300,000 miles, so it deserves to live out it's days in peace. And then they show this POS Subaru with mismatched body parts, no hubcaps, rusted and beaten being pulled into its' final resting place. All I could think about during this entire commercial was heck, that's about the break in period for the ES, IS, and LS!!! Iv'e seen countless cars right here on the LOC that still look brand new with 2 and 300,000 miles on the clock.

Not really. I mean you can, but it's better to do it person. When you come ddown here, bring it with you and I'll put something together for ya. IF you want to get it done before then, send me the pic. I can probably do it for less than anywhere else even with shipping costs. Provided we aren't talking about a large picture.

I just opened a new shop. So for the last few months I have been just consumed with that. So all my personal projects have been on hold. Not too much longer though.

• 10 months later...

i made a custome box half mdf wood falg fiber glass with a view of the speaker through the center arm hole and leaves pleanty of trunk room put tv's in the head rest and a aftermarlet radio had a glow light for the arm rest hole but the speaker shattered it. just put in ps3 just havent taken pictures of it,

post-66001-1267183644_thumb.jpg

post-66001-1267183667_thumb.jpg

post-66001-1267183688_thumb.jpg

post-66001-1267183730_thumb.jpg

i made a custome box half mdf wood falg fiber glass with a view of the speaker through the center arm hole and leaves pleanty of trunk room put tv's in the head rest and a aftermarlet radio had a glow light for the arm rest hole but the speaker shattered it. just put in ps3 just havent taken pictures of it,

Nice job. Did you measure the cubic air needed for the Kicker or did you make the box to fit the trunk? I'm only asking because I thought the Kickers didn't need as much air as you seem to have, along with the dual ports. Are you running the stock sound system with an added sub, or do you have a full system?

And you have a PS also? On the rear headrest screens? A buddy of mine has a PS3 hooked up to a 32'' flat panel mounted in the trunck lid. He just tosses a lawn chair behind the car, pops open the trunk, and it's Game on! LOL!

Nice job. Did you measure the cubic air needed for the Kicker or did you make the box to fit the trunk? I'm only asking because I thought the Kickers didn't need as much air as you seem to have, along with the dual ports. Are you running the stock sound system with an added sub, or do you have a full system?

And you have a PS also? On the rear headrest screens? A buddy of mine has a PS3 hooked up to a 32'' flat panel mounted in the trunck lid. He just tosses a lawn chair behind the car, pops open the trunk, and it's Game on! LOL!

yeah i looked into the cubic air and the way it is built to measuremeants not to the max cubic feet but still loud enough when the trunk is closed to be heard a 8 or 9 house away and to be louder than most cars with less raddeling when i drop the arm rest it makes a big difference and i also have a alphasonic 6 channel amp for my high and i have alpine type R speakers all around so i guess you could say full system i just need to get a double din navi. i have had some ideas about just putting a pioneer navi on top where the stock one would go and putting a flip out tv on the bottom more so for show but that way wouldnt have to flip back and fourth between both when driving and yeah the ps3 is set up for the rear headrest and i have it hooked up for surround sound and wireless head sets. Your friend has a 32" tv in his is300 wow how did he make that fit and that sounds nice just setting up the chair ultimate tail gate car. oh and i also have a regular box which meets the cubic feet to the T but leaves no trunk room. na dyeah the box was made to fit the trunk over the wheel wells and over that little bump that the gas tank gives you.

and the dual ports run into the box but they curve inside to make up for them to make the right cubic air had to get creative

• 2 weeks later...
8 or 9 houses away sound is the cars that make me want to go shoot their tires out and when they stop, shoot up their sound system. :D

who asked you thats is very nice for you that you are willing to go to jail to shot out tires and shot a speaker wow thats really mature :huh:

8 or 9 houses away sound is the cars that make me want to go shoot their tires out and when they stop, shoot up their sound system. :D

who asked you thats is very nice for you that you are willing to go to jail to shot out tires and shot a speaker wow thats really mature :huh:

I said it makes me want to do that. Does it make you feel good to disturb the people in every area that you drive though? Now lighten up a bit son, we don't like high decibel levels in the forums either.

I said it makes me want to do that. Does it make you feel good to disturb the people in every area that you drive though? Now lighten up a bit son, we don't like high decibel levels in the forums either.

i dont go around blasting my music every hour of the day nor do i drive up and down communties just balsting my music i go to shows meets and i like to listen to my music when i go out with friends and am we are playing sports, i didnt know you spoke for the entire forum