3m Clear Bra

I'm taking delivery of my IS 250 next week. The dealer recommended that they install the 3M Clear Bra because, since the vehicle sets lower than most cars, the IS is more prone to picking up stone chips. The dealer is offering it to me, installed, for $349. Does this sound like a fair price? After all, it's basically a piece of heavy Saran Wrap...

What experience do you readers have with the bra? Does it work as well as advertised? Is the product durable - does it hold up well in all kinds of extreme weather? How noticeable is the seam where the bra stops (the car is painted Black Sapphire Pearl)? Can this 3M surface be waxed like the rest of the vehicle?

Any other thoughts on the bra would be greatly appreciated before I commit to purchasing it

TONS of threads here about this, run a search.

I absolutely would get the clear bra, and $349 is a great price depending on what they cover.

+1. I have had it on 3 vehicles.

Most of the cost is in the labor. Very time consuming to apply properly and have it come out without bubbles.

Yes you can wax it.

Does the dealer install the bra from a pre-cut kit specifically sized to the IS, or do they cut the material from one big roll?

The preferred way is the pre-cut kit. It takes a very experienced installer to cut the sheet exactly to size.

I just bought IS 250 and had my Dealer install so called "VentureShield".

http://www.ventureshield.com/ It is a bit better then 3M in terms of durability and non yellowing over time. This product was only available in Europe before. They are located in MA. This product has a life time warranty but non transferable.

Price is mostly labor and very much depends on in how many places the film is applied to. In New England they use subcontractors. 40% new car owners do that especially for darker colors.

Base price is $560 for front end and mirrors. If you want all lights (highly recommended) and bottom doors it is more.

It looks very good and it is a good investment.

I talked to technical advisors and even recommend applying a wax over film.

Good Price -. I too was worried about seeing it on that color. It is only mildly noticeable - you have to balance that with constantly dealing with chips. I decided to go with it - I have enough to obsess about. Yes you can wax it. Important Point - right after you get the new car have the entire car waxed with a high quality wax. I made the mistake of not doing that with my last car. The clear coat from the dealer will scratch easily. The guys who waxed my car were familiar with the clear "roadblock" material and actually took extra care to not jamb wax into the edges.

Check out www.xpel.com. If you try to buy the precut kit for hood fenders and mirrors, it costs you about $200. If you can get a Lexus dealer to do it for $350, that's pretty good. I think its worth the money to get it installed by someone who knows what they're doing.

I had mine done by a guy who has his own business doing these full time. He came to my house on a Saturday and did it for $300. He usually gets subcontracted by dealerships to do them. The XPEL website will give you a list of installers in your area and they have some kind rating of how many they do - that's how I found him.

The quote I got for the whole front end including the bumper was about $550 (the Lexus dealer offered the special price of $1,000 for the full front end). I think the bumper is pretty complicated with all the curves and cutouts, but I declined to do the bumper as it's plastic and if I get paint chips, at least I can touch them up without worrying about rust.

The quote I got for the whole front end including the bumper was about $550 (the Lexus dealer offered the special price of $1,000 for the full front end). I think the bumper is pretty complicated with all the curves and cutouts, but I declined to do the bumper as it's plastic and if I get paint chips, at least I can touch them up without worrying about rust.

If you don't do the bumper too, its not worth doing any of it IMHO. The bumper is where you'ew going to have 70% of the problem with chips.

I have the 3M in my car, bumpers, hood (about the front third), mirrors and the sides to match the hood, plus the headlights: $550 for the bra and $50 for the headlights (extra heavy product that will protect them from almost hammering them..)

$349 must just be the hood only, you need the whole front, bumper, lights, the whole 9 yards.

I'm taking delivery of my IS 250 next week. The dealer recommended that they install the 3M Clear Bra because, since the vehicle sets lower than most cars, the IS is more prone to picking up stone chips. The dealer is offering it to me, installed, for $349. Does this sound like a fair price? After all, it's basically a piece of heavy Saran Wrap...

What experience do you readers have with the bra? Does it work as well as advertised? Is the product durable - does it hold up well in all kinds of extreme weather? How noticeable is the seam where the bra stops (the car is painted Black Sapphire Pearl)? Can this 3M surface be waxed like the rest of the vehicle?

Any other thoughts on the bra would be greatly appreciated before I commit to purchasing it

Before even reading the comments on this, I DEFINITELY WOULD GET IT FOR $349!!!!! Yeah, if you look through this site, there are other threads on this subject, one started by myself!!! I was going to be charged $1,000............especially with install, that's a great price, and I'd do it at the drop of a hat!!!!!

Picked up my car yesterday, with the clear bra installed. Truthfully, it's hard to detect unless you look at just the right angle. I tend to think that, in the long run, it's going to be a good investment. Living up here in snowy Buffalo (where they salt the roads heavily), those stone chips can turn to rust spots pretty quick.

I think its all personaly preference. I personally don't mind small chips on the front. Its a car...its bound to happen.

Yesterday I was behind three rock trucks, all together, spewing out little rocks and sand. I was getting plastered from top to bottom on my car. I was not a happy camper. In that instance, the 3m bra is going to only protect those spots it's covering, and everything else gets chipped......

I think its all personaly preference. I personally don't mind small chips on the front. Its a car...its bound to happen.

With modern paints its FAR worse than just a few small chips. If you do a lot of highway driving the front end gets pretty chewed up.

Does it include the whole bumper below the headlights and around the fog ligths and lower bumper opening?

Does it include the external mirrors?

Believe it or not, with my long work hours and other commitments, I've only gotten to see my car in the daylight for a few minutes. I know the clear bra is on the front hood, but I'll have to check the bumper and mirrors when I can actually see. I'll post back when I have the opportunity to give the car a good look-over.

Finally got to see my IS in the daylight for an extended period of time. Looks to me like the only place they put the bra is on the hood itself. Unless the bra covers the bumper and mirrors so completely that I can't detect the edge (which I highly doubt). My bill of sale only says "vinyl hood protector", so I guess I got what I paid for. Maybe $349 isn't such a great price after all.

Also, on close inspection, I can see a few small (and I do mean SMALL - almost microscopic) bubbles in the vinyl surface. I'm sure I'm the only one who will ever notice them. Should I still say something to the dealer? Will they go away over time?

Finally got to see my IS in the daylight for an extended period of time. Looks to me like the only place they put the bra is on the hood itself. Unless the bra covers the bumper and mirrors so completely that I can't detect the edge (which I highly doubt). My bill of sale only says "vinyl hood protector", so I guess I got what I paid for. Maybe $349 isn't such a great price after all.

Also, on close inspection, I can see a few small (and I do mean SMALL - almost microscopic) bubbles in the vinyl surface. I'm sure I'm the only one who will ever notice them. Should I still say something to the dealer? Will they go away over time?

They shoulg go away in 3 or 4 days.

and start thinking about the rest of the bra... you need it most in the bumper area...

I just picked up my Black IS350 on Tuesday, I was quoted $470 for the 3M clear bra for the entire front end and mirrors. I think that I will be doing it. I do a lot of freeway driving and my last car was just hammered, but it was a light color so the damage is not all that noticiable.

For those of you that are on the fence, think about it this way, how long do you plan to keep the car, what did you pay for the car to begin with, and what is it worth to you to keep that $40 to $50K car looking pristine.

Anyway, just my $0.02... :D