New Tire Calibration

I got my new Toyo tires a few weeks ago, they are the Proxes STs...great tires...anywho they are 255/55 18"...so they are larger in circumference than the terrible Good Years that came with the car therefore the mileage that I get is now 3% less than I actually show...so when I drive 350 miles I actually have driven 360.5,well, enough of math time at Lexus Mission Control...I just read in my GPS manual that you can recalibrate the setting with the "New Tire" button in the MENU page and under "SETUP"...has anyone tried this after getting different sized tires? The one thing that I was able to see right off the bat that I didn't know you could do was to calibrate your position on your screen! I was a wee bit short every time of,say a street that I was crossing, the arrow would actually be lagging. Now it's exactly where I am. I figured if after 1 1/2 years I didn't realize this maybe others haven't as well. Again, it's in the MENU page under "Setup" and in the calibration line push "Adjust" and then you have the option to move your arrow forward or backwards to be in the same exact position as your car. Hope this helps. Happy trails, Rey Bustos, educator/artist in L.A. and happy Lexus owner!

That is amazing!

Did it work so your speedo and milage is corrected?

Thanks

If this works we can run a variety of dfferent size tires and not have to worry about what speed am I really going etc :cheers:

I just wasn't sure so I was hoping one of you smart types might lend a hand in telling me whether this works or not...I did notice that it didn't have any tire size entry but I figured it just could have been one of those magic things that computers do somehow. If it doesn't work then why have that option on my computer in my car? I read about it, it didn't mention anything about tire size it simply says that after putting on new tires of a different size to go to "MENU", then to "Setup", then to "Adjust" and then to hit the "Tire Change" button. I recalibrated my GPS arrow icon pretty easily...I don't know how I can check to see if my Spedometer is dead on but then I only changed the tire size a wee but.....hmm, it's all very interesting though don't you think? I was just amazed at how much I DIDN'T know about my GPS. Happy trails, Rey Bustos in L.A.

RX330 Driver, does that mean that I should still be adding .03 to the total miles at each fill up? Actually I think I do have to...I measured a known point today,24 miles exactly, and I made it in 22.8 miles according to my trip meter ...so I don't know what the feature on our computer is for if it's not to recalibrate for the new tire size which is what the manual said it would do...hmmm. I like the thought of me having to boost up 3% so that it gets closer to the MPGs I was getting before I changed o the Toyo tires. They seem to be hurting my gas mileage...but I will post that data when I put more time on them. So far I seem to have lost 2MPGs which is too much to lose but the feel of the car is amazing so I'll take the MPG hit for a better ride and better cornering and even the really great look. It's amazing how much better the car looks with the Toyos! Rey Bustos

As a reminder, you don't have to buy oversize tires to notice an improvement over the OEM Goodyears. Quite often, worn tires are noisey and harsh when compared to their brand-new state. My Bridgestone Alenzas are stock size and handle incredibly well. Somehow, I have a feeling that the procedure you mentioned does not recalibrate everything related to tire-related calculations. Of course, I could be wrong...

It sounds like the recalibration will change settings on your Nav only.

This will help calculate time of arrival etc.

The only way to know is to drive it and measure.

As far as tires I changes out my new Michelins for wider Toyo's and love them.

I went for a size that was the same as OEM so no speedo correction needed.

255/50/18 is the same diameter as 235/55/18.

Now on 2000+ miles with no change in MPG.

I run them at 40 PSI.

Still love them!

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It sounds like the recalibration will change settings on your Nav only.

I believe this is correct. There is likely no linkage between the Speedo and the NAV systems. Like most cars, the RX probably uses a sensor on the transmission to determine the Speedo (and Odometer). The NAV system only uses the tire dia value to calibrate the internal computations of things like your location between GPS receptions (goes in and out as you drive under things, even heavy cloud cover).

Keeping this adjustement in sync with your actual tire dia will result in more accurate NAV displays, but it will do nothing for the Speedo.

Besides, if the NAV were responsible for what is displayed on the Speedo, then how does it work when the RX does not have NAV installed? They have to be sparate systems.

I didn't intend to get a different tire size, it was from ignorance...I got the 255/55 thinking that if the "55" were the same,it would match the "55" on the 235...yes, I now know that it's a RATIO...but now that I made my mistake, I do love the fact that they fill the wells better. They are much heavier so maybe that's why I feel that my mileage is lower. Jtitom has the Toyos also but since he's a wee bit smarter than I am, he got the 255/50s which,as he said, are in fact virtually the same circumference as the OEMs so he seems to have the same stats as before. Live and learn. I am still very happy with the Toyos...anyway thanks to all of you for all of the help regarding the calibration system. It's all very advanced and sometimes I can't figure out what the system can and can't do or all of the things that I am not even aware of yet. It's just like a courtship , with all of the ins and outs of a great love affair...OK, I do get overly dramatic...it's a car and it's complicated,lets leave it at that. Warmly, Rey Bustos

I went for the same size... 255 / 55 - 18 simply because this is a much more popular tire size than the factory and than the 255 / 50 - 18 (which respects diameter).

Because after all is said and done, the 255 / 55 - 18 falls within factory specs / tolerances, and some identical sizes even more so.

I simply LOVE the Good Year Eagle ResponsEdge. They are AWESOME. I mean REALLY REALLY AMAZING. Zero Tire Noise, Improved Driveability across the board and I repeat SUPER Quiet. The New tire manufacturing process used by Good Year is ground breaking. Potholes and imperfections are soaked up like no other tire I have ever experienced before.

Cheers,

MadloR

Thanks Jim, I wonder if the ResponsEdge is better than the Bridesone Alenzas. Either way, I'll have these Toyos for a while,I hope, and if they start acting up or making themsleves heard too much after 10,000 miles as some have said, I'll switch to either the Alenzas, first choice, or the GY RespnsEdge after your glowing review. I have nothing against Good Year, just the ones that came with my 400h. I have noticed at the dealership that NO Lexus vehicles have Good Years any longer...hmmm, I was just the unlucky one that had the GY on my car and had to buy new tires after only 13K and a wee bit over only one year of ownership. Thanks for the input. Rey

I went for the same size... 255 / 55 - 18 simply because this is a much more popular tire size than the factory and than the 255 / 50 - 18 (which respects diameter).

Because after all is said and done, the 255 / 55 - 18 falls within factory specs / tolerances, and some identical sizes even more so.

I simply LOVE the Good Year Eagle ResponsEdge. They are AWESOME. I mean REALLY REALLY AMAZING. Zero Tire Noise, Improved Driveability across the board and I repeat SUPER Quiet. The New tire manufacturing process used by Good Year is ground breaking. Potholes and imperfections are soaked up like no other tire I have ever experienced before.

Cheers,

MadloR

Any chance you could post a picture or two of the tires on your vehicle? How much did you pay for them Jim? How many miles do you have on them now? What were the OEM's you replaced?

Thanks...

Cheers,

MadloR

Any chance you could post a picture or two of the tires on your vehicle? How much did you pay for them Jim? How many miles do you have on them now? What were the OEM's you replaced?

Thanks...

Yes, I have a few pictures on this site...look up "New Toyo Tires"...let me know what you think. I paid less than $600 for four and everything was included...I think it was $540 out the door. I got a great deal though... I LOVE the new look, the car looks totally different and much,much better and more ...well, masculine! Or since I called her the "Princess" before, I now call her "Xena"! Rey Bustos

Cheers,

MadloR

Thanks...

Yes, I have a few pictures on this site...look up "New Toyo Tires"...let me know what you think. I paid less than $600 for four and everything was included...I think it was $540 out the door. I got a great deal though... I LOVE the new look, the car looks totally different and much,much better and more ...well, masculine! Or since I called her the "Prioncess" before, I now call her "Xena"! Rey Bustos

Thanks. I guess I wasn't clear. I was actually hoping to see pictures of the Goodyear Responsedge tires on MadloR's vehicle... Are there any of those floating around? I saw the Toyo's (very nice!). I thought the Responsedge would work better for me here in the northeast...

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Cheers,

MadloR

Thanks...

Yes, I have a few pictures on this site...look up "New Toyo Tires"...let me know what you think. I paid less than $600 for four and everything was included...I think it was $540 out the door. I got a great deal though... I LOVE the new look, the car looks totally different and much,much better and more ...well, masculine! Or since I called her the "Prioncess" before, I now call her "Xena"! Rey Bustos

Thanks. I guess I wasn't clear. I was actually hoping to see pictures of the Goodyear Responsedge tires on MadloR's vehicle... Are there any of those floating around? I saw the Toyo's (very nice!). I thought the Responsedge would work better for me here in the northeast...

Thanks

I think "jim Nazium" is too busy out there enjoying his new Responsedge tires to reply. I too would like to see a pic or two, but since I'm running on my spare right now, I'll likely have these tires on my RX soon enough and I'll take some pics for posting.

Ok, I will post pictures Sunday evening. Car needs a little wash and some armorall on the tires. Actually I have never used any tire dressing on the tires and these GoodYears are supposedly made with appearance enhanced black rubber. I had to take the vehicle in to a Good Year Dealer (no, I didn't purchase them from a Dealer, but rather the Tire Rack) since one of the rear tires incurred a screw puncture. The procedure for the past 5 or so years is to use a vulcanised patch from the inside out. It's a combination of a tire plug and patch all in one. Anyhoot, after picking up the vehicle from the Good Year Tire Center, they use a special Tire dressing on there tires. It goes on wetlook, but comes off clean on the wash mitt and actually hoses off like soap, very cool stuff.

Anyhoot, as per the tires, well I have approximately 4800miles on them and come the next 5K oil change will be duely rotated (at the end of this month). So far I have driven on them at the recommended tire pressure (man, it soaks up road imperfections), at 36psi, 38psi, 40psi, 44psi. For the most part, I have upped the tire pressure for obvious improvements in fuel economy without sacreficing too much driveability. So I have stuck with 38.5psi during the hot summer months, but If I know I will be taking a trek out on the open road over a weekend will bump up the pressure to 42psi. Driveability, smoothness, road noise, handling, traction (wet and dry) have not changed, exactly like when new. The added bonus is in the L@@K, they really do enhance the appearance both from a sidewall and tread point of view.

On a side note, I have only used early morning dew campsite smog free oxygen that I have fedex'ed to me from the Himalayan mountains in a non compressed state, in my tires as I don't want any of those bad "free radical" molecules polluting my Himalayan pure Oxygen. Sure it's Expensive but it's SOooooooo WORTH it.

Cheers,

MadloR

42 psi????? That's INSANE! Seriously, I have found that with my Bridgestone Alenzas (fantastic tires, by the way), 36 psi is wearing the tires perfectly. I can't help but think that you'll be seeing the center of each of your tires wear prematurely by the 10,000 mile mark or sooner.

Certainly there are many good tires out there, although at $600 total cost, it's tough to beat the "Stones" for perfermance and value. Goodyears and Michelins, among others, tend to be higher-priced than the others. The same holds true for Corvette tires. I love my Goodyear GSD3s, but dang, they cost a small fortune.

Keep us posted as to what the wear pattern looks like......

Dave

what is the wear rating on thosoe goodyears? i preferr a tire dressing that doesnt look like you used black shoe polish, mothers and mcguiars both make products that make the sidewall look new but are subtle.

42 psi????? That's INSANE! Seriously, I have found that with my Bridgestone Alenzas (fantastic tires, by the way), 36 psi is wearing the tires perfectly. I can't help but think that you'll be seeing the center of each of your tires wear prematurely by the 10,000 mile mark or sooner.

Certainly there are many good tires out there, although at $600 total cost, it's tough to beat the "Stones" for perfermance and value. Goodyears and Michelins, among others, tend to be higher-priced than the others. The same holds true for Corvette tires. I love my Goodyear GSD3s, but dang, they cost a small fortune.

Keep us posted as to what the wear pattern looks like......

Dave

First off, you need to understand that this is only for a short trip if you will, like a weekend getaway. Also, I tend to load up the vehicle with people, baggage and bikes. The 42psi is well within the tire tolerance at Cold tire Pressures. Typically on the highway you get much better ride quality given the smoothness of the roads. Once I get back into my routine I will drop the pressures accordingly. As for tire wear, it's hard to tell the difference between the fronts and rears, left of right, so whatever I'm doing I will keep doing seeing as how the tires are reacting extremely well with the Lexus suspension.

I also purchased the Good Year because there tire wear was extremely good, not Alenza like but easily 2x as much as the factory GoodYears and Michelins.

Cheers,

MadloR