New Tires After Only 17k Miles?

I took my 400h in to the dealer because the allignment seemed a little off, and was told I needed new tires. I was very surprised because of the low mileage on my car. The service rep mumbled something about hybrids causing more wear on the tires. Has anyone else heard this?

one dealer saw excessive wear @15K on the goodyear tires and warrantied all four new ones for that owner. mine are at 22,500 and have some wear left but there is excessive wear on the outside edges, and yes i have had two alignments, and four rotations in this period with tire pressure averaging 34psi.

I love the 400h, however it doesnt stay in alignment well, and with aluminum wheels, plus trying to drive in a hybrid style you know we arent jumping curbs or otherwise abusing these tires. i do no towing and carry no heavy loads other than my dog and myself. Is it the torque on these wheels that is the problem? Are dealers not aligning them properly? Are they off from the factory??? To me this is affecting too many people to be a random thing. I understand the poor wear rating on the goodyears, however they are not wearing evenly either leading to even more premature replacement.

Keep in mind that the factory-specified tire pressure recommendation that is listed in the manual and on a door jamb sticker is incorrect.

The correct pressure should be 34-36 psi at approx. 70 degrees, before driving. The best I could do was to get free mounting and balancing after my tires were worn out at the inner and outer edges after 18,000 miles.

When you get new tires, ignore the factory pressure spec; your tires will last much longer. I recommend the Bridgestone Alenzas - excellent tires and highly rated by the Tirerack customers.

I took my 400h in to the dealer because the allignment seemed a little off, and was told I needed new tires. I was very surprised because of the low mileage on my car. The service rep mumbled something about hybrids causing more wear on the tires. Has anyone else heard this?

We have 25K + miles and have just about finished the first set of GoodYears on our 400h. Reading up on this brand on the 400h ... it doesn't seem that they are famous for great wear. Compareing 25K to the Michelins we just bought for our other hybrid? 90K mile warranty! Now THAT's what I call a warranty!

There's no disputing Michelin's quality and wear life. I have Michelin's on most of my vehicles until winter when I put on Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. I'm glad that Michelins came on my RX-bullet dodged!!

We have 25K + miles and have just about finished the first set of GoodYears on our 400h. Reading up on this brand on the 400h ... it doesn't seem that they are famous for great wear. Compareing 25K to the Michelins we just bought for our other hybrid? 90K mile warranty! Now THAT's what I call a warranty!

For whatever reason, Lexus and Goodyear chose a tire with a treadwear rating of only 280 on the Goodyear Eagle RS/A. Many Michelins (and other Goodyears) had ratings near 400, so I don't expect a lot from mine (5k now, no abnormal wear patterns or noise yet).

I wonder...

The electric power stearing cannot (is not??) be nearly as stiff/solid at holding the front wheels (fully/tightly) alligned with the actual stearing wheel position, is that maybe a contributing factor to early tire wear??

I wonder...

The electric power stearing cannot (is not??) be nearly as stiff/solid at holding the front wheels (fully/tightly) alligned with the actual stearing wheel position, is that maybe a contributing factor to early tire wear??

I think more likely just a front wheel drive vehicle with considerable torque.

Tom

• 6 months later...
one dealer saw excessive wear @15K on the goodyear tires and warrantied all four new ones for that owner. mine are at 22,500 and have some wear left but there is excessive wear on the outside edges, and yes i have had two alignments, and four rotations in this period with tire pressure averaging 34psi.

I love the 400h, however it doesnt stay in alignment well, and with aluminum wheels, plus trying to drive in a hybrid style you know we arent jumping curbs or otherwise abusing these tires. i do no towing and carry no heavy loads other than my dog and myself. Is it the torque on these wheels that is the problem? Are dealers not aligning them properly? Are they off from the factory??? To me this is affecting too many people to be a random thing. I understand the poor wear rating on the goodyears, however they are not wearing evenly either leading to even more premature replacement.

Having the same problem. don't know how to use this site though.

Susan